RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry to confuse. It was connected to the campgound wifi.

I had thought that the issue was with the Verizon Hotspot so I thought since it wouldn't connect to the 2.4 I would see if it would connect to the Denali. It did and that is the last screen shot I sent to you. Hope that makes sense.

Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2020, 09:59 AM   #16
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Thanks for the clarification. I don't think the problem is actually with the 2.4 GHz connect, but, rather, is with the mix of the three connections and how they interact. I've seen similar issues before. Thanks for helping us localize the problem.

Joel

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:17 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Joel, wanted to give an update on my setup. All day my setup has been stable and not changed. I have the spruce 2.4 connected to the campground wifi, the 5 connected to my ATT hotspot and the Denali connected to my Verizon hotspot. Haven't dropped the connection at all. Hope this information helps your team at WifiRanger.
Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:43 PM   #18
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Joel, wanted to give an update on my setup. All day my setup has been stable and not changed. I have the spruce 2.4 connected to the campground wifi, the 5 connected to my ATT hotspot and the Denali connected to my Verizon hotspot. Haven't dropped the connection at all. Hope this information helps your team at WifiRanger.
Thanks for the update, Scott. We're all working from home at the moment, but we will run it to ground when we can.

Joel
Old 03-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hey docj - Have some question - Would be happy to send them a e-mail with the questions if you want
Then post their response. thanks

WiFiRanger Aspen without a cell modem installed at this time "I want to wait & see what comes available in the next 6 mts & cell 5G" but I want to load balance 3 sources -

Can cell modem can be added later when new models become available? Do they have list the modems they support on their web site somewhere?

What is the inbound limit of WIFI connected? When thru the docs on the web site and not seeing anything.

Is there a limit on the total number inbound - pepwave Load Balancer has a limit then you can purchase extras lic.

This what I want to load balance.
1 Cell phone - can be either USB or WIFI -
1 Verizon 8800L - can be either USB or WIFI - 1st choice would be WIFI because of the battery
1 OTR MR1100 - can be ethernet or WIFI
Old 03-26-2020, 01:06 PM   #20
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post

WiFiRanger Aspen without a cell modem installed at this time "I want to wait & see what comes available in the next 6 mts & cell 5G" but I want to load balance 3 sources -

Can cell modem can be added later when new models become available? Do they have list the modems they support on their web site somewhere?
Installing a modem in an Aspen router is not something the user can do on his own; the router would have to be returned to WiFiRanger.

As for supported modems, at this time there are both Cat-4 and Cat-6 modems are supported. If you look at the Store portion of the WiFiRanger website you will see that there are dropdown boxes with that information on the ordering page for the Aspen.

Personally, I think it is extremely optimistic to expect that any significant clarification of the 5G situation will occur in the next 6 months, or even a year. Even without the current crisis, actual progress on 5G was much slower than the hype surrounding it IMO. If you live one of the major cities, maybe you'll see it in the next year or two. If WiFiRanger increases its modem options it would be to add a Cat-12 or -18 modem, not a 5G one.

Quote:
What is the inbound limit of WIFI connected? When thru the docs on the web site and not seeing anything.
If you mean what's the limit to the number of WiFi devices that can be on a WiFiRanger network, as I recall the default number is 200 but it could be increased if necessary.

Quote:
Is there a limit on the total number inbound - pepwave Load Balancer has a limit then you can purchase extras lic.

This what I want to load balance.
1 Cell phone - can be either USB or WIFI -
1 Verizon 8800L - can be either USB or WIFI - 1st choice would be WIFI because of the battery
1 OTR MR1100 - can be ethernet or WIFI
I'm not sure what the absolute limit is on the number of internet sources that can be load balanced. I've had 5 connected at one time and I've read of someone else who had 6. As you add more and more instabilities in one or more of them can start to make the connection less stable. I'm currently running a SIM connected through the Aspen's modem, a USB-connected Verizon 7730L and a Visible phone hotspot connected via WiFi. I had the Visible connected via USB but it isn't as stable as the WiFi connection.

I hope this answers your questions, feel free to ask others.

Joel (AKA docj)
Old 03-26-2020, 01:53 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
As for supported modems, at this time there are both Cat-4 and Cat-6 modems are supported. If you look at the Store portion of the WiFiRanger website you will see that there are dropdown boxes with that information on the ordering page for the Aspen.
Joel (AKA docj)
Saw the drop down - but does it list what bands each support. I saw you have one / ordered one that supports band 71 OTR Mobile T-Mobile - would want the Cat 6 with Band 71 support - If not can do it with all the hotspot hardware I already have.

Quote:
Quote:
If you mean what's the limit to the number of WiFi devices that can be on a WiFiRanger network, as I recall the default number is 200 but it could be increased if necessary.
What I'm thinking about doing is reconfigure my current RV network - Would like to Load Balance 3 to 5 Wifi Hot spots on the Aspen with it doing DHCP "Would turn-off WIFI outbound on the Aspen if there is a options to do that", then ethernet cable to a Asus or Netgear Router as an access point for RV devices.

So it more important - number of supported incoming sources and stable load balancing.

Could be getting a better T-Mobile Hotspot once I've had some time to play around with OTR / T-Mobile and Nighthawk MR1100.

Also add Visible phone / hotspot and compare it to the pre-paid plan for performance.

Thanks for you input
Old 03-26-2020, 02:06 PM   #22
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
What I'm thinking about doing is reconfigure my current RV network - Would like to Load Balance 3 to 5 Wifi Hot spots on the Aspen with it doing DHCP "Would turn-off WIFI outbound on the Aspen if there is a options to do that", then ethernet cable to a Asus or Netgear Router as an access point for RV devices.
It's easy to turn off the Aspen's outbound WiFi but I'm not sure why you want to connect it to yet another router.

As for connecting 3 to 5 WiFi hotspots, that is easy.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
It's easy to turn off the Aspen's outbound WiFi but I'm not sure why you want to connect it to yet another router.

As for connecting 3 to 5 WiFi hotspots, that is easy.
Already have everything paid for, setup & working. So just adding the Aspen to load balance should be easy and gives me the one thing I want most "Load Balancing".

3.5 years ago - only had one hot spot, as the plans come and go - it's easy to start collecting the better ones and dropping the so so. And never know when the cell company will kill them off or drop them. I still have my Verizon GUDP.

Thanks - Now just need to find a shipping windows.

Tags
wifi