RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2020, 09:02 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
WifiRanger question

Joel, I have a feeling you be the one to answer this, but appreciate anyone with knowledge helping with this question.

So I'm a week or more into my Denali and spruce router and loving it. Question I have is that if setup properly with Load Balancing, should all three connection show green on the Main Page? Here is what mine shows and I'm thinking I'm losing my 5g connection for some reason. As you can see, the Spruce 2g and the Denali connections are green, I assume this means ready to go. Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	278811  

Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2020, 06:38 AM   #2
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Joel, I have a feeling you be the one to answer this, but appreciate anyone with knowledge helping with this question.

So I'm a week or more into my Denali and spruce router and loving it. Question I have is that if setup properly with Load Balancing, should all three connection show green on the Main Page? Here is what mine shows and I'm thinking I'm losing my 5g connection for some reason. As you can see, the Spruce 2g and the Denali connections are green, I assume this means ready to go. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Scott:

My guess is that you might be having an IP conflict between two of the connections. You might want to look at the Status page of the Ranger's Control Panel. In the top section of that page you will see a list of your connections and their associated IP assignments. If there are yellow bars on one or more of them that would indicate there's a conflict.

Let me know if this is your issue. If it is there are a few things that you might be able to do about it. Otherwise it might be a question of the stability of that one connection.

Joel

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Joel, I just realized I should have put this under Technology.

I did what you suggested and there is not a yellow highlight on any of the connections. What I am seeing is that I can either connect to my ATT hotspot wirelessly or my Verizon, but not both. I am also using the Denali connection for the camp wifi, which is actually pretty good, typically over 6mps down.

I also just read that the Aspen router is now available and wasn't when I ordered a few weeks ago. Would sure like to have the upgraded router but not sure they will allow me to return.
Home State is Kentucky
Old 03-23-2020, 06:25 PM   #4
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
I did what you suggested and there is not a yellow highlight on any of the connections. What I am seeing is that I can either connect to my ATT hotspot wirelessly or my Verizon, but not both. I am also using the Denali connection for the camp wifi, which is actually pretty good, typically over 6mps down.

I also just read that the Aspen router is now available and wasn't when I ordered a few weeks ago. Would sure like to have the upgraded router but not sure they will allow me to return.
I'm not sure why you're not able to connect to both hotspots at the same time. That shouldn't be the case, but it may take a little fooling around to figure out what's going on. Did you set "slowest usable speeds" for those connections. If so you might want to lower them a bit.

If all else fails you can call WiFiRanger Customer Service and have one of their folks take a look at your Ranger remotely to see if they can figure out what is going on.

As for the issue of exchanging a Spruce for an Aspen, that's something I'd have to discuss with management. If you are interested in getting a "dressed up" Aspen with a Cat-6 modem, I'm sure I can get you some kind of discount. Let me know what you are interested in.

Joel
Old 03-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Hi Scott:

You should now have both hotspots connecting without a problem. Our CTO examined your system remotely and there was an issue relating to one of the hotspots not correctly providing the gateway to the router. It was a rather complex problem, but the CTO thinks he fixed it permanently. If it reoccurs let me know since that may mean there's a bug we need to track down.

Thanks again for being a WiFiRanger customer.

Joel (AKA docj)
Old 03-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Hi Scott:

My guess is that you might be having an IP conflict between two of the connections. You might want to look at the Status page of the Ranger's Control Panel. In the top section of that page you will see a list of your connections and their associated IP assignments. If there are yellow bars on one or more of them that would indicate there's a conflict.

Let me know if this is your issue. If it is there are a few things that you might be able to do about it. Otherwise it might be a question of the stability of that one connection.

Joel
Joel, I'm having a similar problem. I have my Verizon and AT&T hotspots connected to the Spruce via USB and my Sprint hotspot by wifi. Using load balancing, only the AT&T seems to connect and when I go to the Status page, all three are yellow. The ip addresses are different. I'm not sure what else to check. As usual, thanks for your help.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:55 PM   #7
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slallen1262 View Post
Joel, I'm having a similar problem. I have my Verizon and AT&T hotspots connected to the Spruce via USB and my Sprint hotspot by wifi. Using load balancing, only the AT&T seems to connect and when I go to the Status page, all three are yellow. The ip addresses are different. I'm not sure what else to check. As usual, thanks for your help.
The yellow bars indicate that there is an IP conflict. Usually this happens when two devices both want to have the same IP address on the network such as 192.168.1.1 which is the default IP for Verizon devices. From my experience AT&T tends to use 192.168.0.1

If you would PM me your Ranger's ID I can have someone talk a look at it remotely. Resolving an IP conflict such as the one I noted above can be a complicated problem if the hotspot is locked to a specific address the way most Verizon.

Send me your ID and keep the system online as much as possible so we can take a look at it.

Joel (AKA docj)
Old 03-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #8

Sent
Old 03-25-2020, 07:31 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Joel, here is what I have as of this morning. If I understand all of this correctly all three sources for wifi should be green when I have it in load balancing. As you can see, 5ghz (ATT) and Denali (campground wifi) are green but the darn Verizon (Brand Mifi) is yellow.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	6
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	279053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	279054  

Home State is Kentucky
Old 03-25-2020, 08:18 AM   #10
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Joel, here is what I have as of this morning. If I understand all of this correctly all three sources for wifi should be green when I have it in load balancing. As you can see, 5ghz (ATT) and Denali (campground wifi) are green but the darn Verizon (Brand Mifi) is yellow.
Hi Scott:

Thanks for the update. Our CTO told me yesterday that if his "fix" for your system wasn't permanent that would be evidence that there is a software bug that he will need to find and patch. I'll pass along your findings and will let you know when he figures out a fix. Of course, with the current crisis he is working from home like everyone else.

Joel
Old 03-25-2020, 08:45 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Joel. This is certainly not the biggest issue in the world so no stress on this at all. If they are able to find a fix, great.
Home State is Kentucky
Old 03-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I wanted to add one more thing. For the heck of it I tried to connect the Verizon hotspot to the Denali and it worked instantly. So now I have ATT on Spruce 5g and Verizon on the Denali connection. Weird.

And I just tried to connect to the campground wifi on Spruce 2.4 and it would not connect. Maybe the issue is the 2.4 connection?
Home State is Kentucky
Old 03-25-2020, 08:56 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is a current picture
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	8
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	279065  
Home State is Kentucky
Old 03-25-2020, 08:57 AM   #14
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
I wanted to add one more thing. For the heck of it I tried to connect the Verizon hotspot to the Denali and it worked instantly. So now I have ATT on Spruce 5g and Verizon on the Denali connection. Weird.

And I just tried to connect to the campground wifi on Spruce 2.4 and it would not connect. Maybe the issue is the 2.4 connection?
Now I'm confused. What had the Denali been connected to before you did this? Your first screenshot did show the Denali as "green" so it had been connected to something.

Tags
wifi