Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 10:09 AM   #1

WifiRanger Throttle Speeds to Extend Streaming Hours

I decided to drop my Visible plate since we typically travel about 4-8 nights once a month. I used the $25 to go towards an unlimited data plan on my 13 inch iPad Pro with 30 Gbytes of hotspot data per month. I can watch unlimited video on the iPad Pro and it gets use a lot like a general 5G laptop for other data needs.Most of the data consumption is on the iPad Pro so it works as fast as the Cellular 4 or 5G can provide.

I found out that I can throttle from the iPad Pro hotspot connection with my Spruce WifiRanger. I have limited it to 5 Mbps which is plenty to stream to the TV. When I didn't limit the bandwidth I was using about 15-20 Mbps at a higher picture quality than was really needed. With the throttling we can get more streaming hours at 5 Mbps quality which is fine for our trailer.

Once we retire we may reactivate the Visible plan for those times when traveling weeks at a time. There are two many months when we didn't really need the unlimited Visible plan. I am using my 5G iPad Pro connection all the time both when traveling with the trailer or just away from home for the day.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 06:39 AM   #2

Outstanding! I agree, 5 GB is plenty for streaming; that's all we had with our lousy home internet back when we were living in California and it seemed to work most of the time. We still went through 100 GB per month, but that was streaming everything full time.

I'm assuming you're using the WifiRanger as a bridge? I have a decent AT&T business plan on my android device, unlimited wifi and 100GB hotspot, but it appears USB tethering has been disabled on my device (!)

A cellular iPad is extremely handy on the RV. We mounted ours on the dash where we can both see it. I took the radio out of the dash completely; driver has enough work load as it is. Her Majesty can search out campsites, stream music or podcasts through bluetooth speakers*, and it serves as a fine GPS -- but only if it has a SIM, which is the main way those devices figure out where they are.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #3

I use my WifiRanger to connect to my iPad Pro hotspot wirelessly. The laptop, AppleTV and Cerbo GX connects to my WifiRanger and use the throttled iPad Pro bandwidth. I have the phones just use cellular since they have unlimited on device data.

If I do manage to go through the 30 Gbytes of iPad Pro hotspot data then I point the WifiRanger to my iPhone which has another 15 Gbytes of hotspot data.

If we are trying to maximize the amount of video we watch we will watch some shows directly on the 12.9 inch iPad Pro screen which doesn't use up hotspot data.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #4

Are you doing this via the WFR Control Panel’s Usage tab > Device Restriction > Select Internet Connection > Add restriction? I’ve not explored that option yet, but nice to know it is there if needed.
ArloShmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:22 PM   #5

Under add restriction you have the choice to limit bandwidth.

Tags
wifi