Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2021, 11:57 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Will DISH Let You Move the Hopper3 ???

Yesterday I moved my Hopper3 from the motor home to the house and now I don't get any reception. When the Hopper is in the motorhome parked at my home and under a carport cover, I have it connected to a sat dish up on the roof of my house. Then I have a Joey in the Family room so have tv in the house and in the MH.

So today I called Dish Network service and the tech tells me you are NOT allowed to move the Hopper3 from one room to another without having a Dish tech come out and activate the receiver again ..... at a $50 service fee.
Is this Dish's policy now that other's have run into? Is there a way to change my Dish account to mobile or some other way to re-activate the Hopper3 myself?

For me this is a deal breaker and after 20 yrs of Dish I will cancel it they can't re-activate remotely for no charge, allow me to activate it, or keep it activated all the time like the 722 Dual DVR I had for 10+ yrs.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2021, 04:07 AM   #2

Very odd
Never heard of that policy
Many on this Forum move H3 in and out of Residence & RV without issue using their Winegard Travíler or Mogul open dish.
Iíll be interested to read comments from those who performed this task in the past week.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:19 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We take our hopper 3 and one joey with us in the rv every trip and then put them back in the house upon return. No problem. You probably have to do a test installation because the rv likely uses a DPH42 switch and the house has a different one. When we use ours in the rv the first time on the trip I run the test switch and also immediately upon return to the house.

To do this test push the home button on the remote, scroll to menu, find settings, scroll to diagnostics, scroll down to dish, push test installation in upper right hand corner and wait several minutes and you should be up and running.

We have also been with dish 20+ years and find that going directly to tech support option is best as CS people seldom know what they are talking about I even use tech support to change the local when we are on the road. Don’t forget to change them back when you get home.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:42 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Very odd
Never heard of that policy
Many on this Forum move H3 in and out of Residence & RV without issue using their Winegard Travíler or Mogul open dish.
Iíll be interested to read comments from those who performed this task in the past week.
Not last week, but we did do exactly what I described above last month without problems. I should have mentioned that sometimes after doing the test described above I have to do a ďhard resetĒ which is a matter of unplugging the hopper for 10 seconds then plugging it back in and let it go thru itís reset functions. Usually not necessary, but I have had to do it sometimes. A hard reset often cures many ills.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:45 AM   #5

We also do it all the time. After moving either way you need to do the TEST SWITCH described above and NOT a reset. You do a reset every time you unplug the receiver for more than 15 seconds and plug it back in. That will not fix your issue. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:17 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
We also do it all the time. After moving either way you need to do the TEST SWITCH described above and NOT a reset. You do a reset every time you unplug the receiver for more than 15 seconds and plug it back in. That will not fix your issue. Chuck
Chuck, I agree the reset is not what he needs. I only mentioned it because I have had to do it on occasion to fix other ills and a few times even after doing the test installation. not normally, but once and awhile it gets fussy. I agree the act of unplugging it and moving it will generally fix whatever else may ail it like static electricity buildup, etc.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you have Dish at home, you can avoid the hassle of moving receivers, by just adding a Dishplayer to your subscription. We pay an extra $10 per month and have a dedicated unit always ready to use in our coach. Due to cabinet size we had to use a model VIP 612 which is smaller and has two tuners. That is only about $120 for the whole year, and all your channels work in your RV.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
If you have Dish at home, you can avoid the hassle of moving receivers, by just adding a Dishplayer to your subscription. We pay an extra $10 per month and have a dedicated unit always ready to use in our coach. Due to cabinet size we had to use a model VIP 612 which is smaller and has two tuners. That is only about $120 for the whole year, and all your channels work in your RV.
Also a workable solution for minimal cost. We like having the home dvr with us so we can watch prerecorded things without putting up the sat for quick stops. I made the connections in both places slide on/off quick connectors so swapping takes very little time. It still does, however, require the test installation procedure in each place the first time used after reinstalling.

Both methods will work, just a matter of personal preference.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:21 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Might be something new as I have a Hopper3 in the house and take it and both wireless Joey's in the MH when I go. Never been a problem and their TOS allowed it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #10

I'm not sure I have enough details.

Has the Hopper3 ever worked in the location that you are moving it to?

Are you sure the antenna is patched over to the connector in the new location?

Have all of the F barrel connectors between the antenna and Hopper 3 been changed out to the high frequency ones with the blue dielectric?
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:50 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
We take our hopper 3 and one joey with us in the rv every trip and then put them back in the house upon return. No problem. You probably have to do a test installation because the rv likely uses a DPH42 switch and the house has a different one. When we use ours in the rv the first time on the trip I run the test switch and also immediately upon return to the house.

To do this test push the home button on the remote, scroll to menu, find settings, scroll to diagnostics, scroll down to dish, push test installation in upper right hand corner and wait several minutes and you should be up and running.

We have also been with dish 20+ years and find that going directly to tech support option is best as CS people seldom know what they are talking about I even use tech support to change the local when we are on the road. Don’t forget to change them back when you get home.
Last Nov Dish tech came out and replaced the old roof lnb on the house with a new one to get the H3 to work for the 1st time here at my home since I quit fulltiming. Prior to that the H3 was working with the Traveler that had the switch added.
The 1st thing I did after I moved it and didn't immediate reception was Home, Home, Home, Dish, Test and got Reception failed. I reset the H3 and tried test again, no luck.
Since you folks have moved your H3 with no problem, I'm thinking my problem may have been leaving H3 disconnected from the LNB over night and the the unit got de-activated at 3 am when it's scheduled to update the programming.
The Dish tech is scheduled to be here between noon and 5 pm today, so I hope to learn from him why my unit does not receive a signal.
I will post an update tonight with the results.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
Last Nov Dish tech came out and replaced the old roof lnb on the house with a new one to get the H3 to work for the 1st time here at my home since I quit fulltiming. Prior to that the H3 was working with the Traveler that had the switch added.
The 1st thing I did after I moved it and didn't immediate reception was Home, Home, Home, Dish, Test and got Reception failed. I reset the H3 and tried test again, no luck.
Since you folks have moved your H3 with no problem, I'm thinking my problem may have been leaving H3 disconnected from the LNB over night and the the unit got de-activated at 3 am when it's scheduled to update the programming.
The Dish tech is scheduled to be here between noon and 5 pm today, so I hope to learn from him why my unit does not receive a signal.
I will post an update tonight with the results.
Very odd
So you have the Hybrid LNB on both Residence and RV
Previously the RV acquired signal every time
Now, Residence will not acquire signal
I assume that even now you cannot get youíre Travíler in RV to acquire signal

Sounds like itís an H3 issue that we can no longer help you with

Please update us when you get it fixed
Old 06-13-2021, 11:09 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What a mystery ... it's working now. Earlier today I decided to move the Hopper3 to the Family Room before the Dish guy got here to have it in a more permanent location since I didn't plan on paying a $50 Dish service call to have it moved again. Well I connected it to a coax cable that was put in the Family Room 7 yrs ago and plugged in the H3. By the time I got the tv and Joey hooked up and tv turned on I had all my channels and the guide and the picture was perfect. I went online and canceled the Dish appointment that was only 2 hrs away.

I'm really stumped as to what was different this last time I hooked up the H3 that made it start working again. Yesterday I ran a complete new coax from the lnb to H3 with no better results. Today I went up on the roof and put back the original coax and then coupled that to the Family Room coax and damn it's working.
The other part that is baffling is why 2 different customer service guys would tell me that you cannot move the H3 without a service call to re-activate the H3. As George said earlier, next time I will ask for Tech Support and not Customer Service.
Thank you folks for the advice and support!
Bill
Old 06-14-2021, 08:28 AM   #14

I've had intermittent issues with my LNB for the last few weeks. Leaving the receiver on and disconnecting then reconnecting the coax would fix the problem for a while. I finally replaced the LNB and all is well. BTW, I always call a local satellite guy for service and never Dish. The cost is about 1/3 of what Dish will charge. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish