Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #1

Will it work?

Our two TV's in our motorhome are 08's or maybe 07's and don't receive digital signals. There is a box which allows us to switch between cable, sat, antenna & dvd. We take our Dish receiver when we travel. If I buy a converter box and attach it between the antenna line and the switch box will I then be able to get digital signals to both TV's? Or, should the converter box be attached before the Dish receiver?

Thanks,
RJ
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The converter box is only for over the air digital TV. You don't want it on the line to the Dish receiver.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It could go inline after the Sat receiver, provided it is a model with a pass through feature. I would rather hook it up to the input to a switch box and take it tot he Tv of choice.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe most Dishnetwork receivers have an "off the air" antenna input. You could connect it there. You could also connect to your VCR antenna input if you have a VCR. You can also connect to the antenna input on the selector box, sometimes this isn't possible because of the antenna amplifier power feed.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #5

Thanks. I checked again and it looks like I can connect the antenna line to the converter and then to the switch box. I don't understand the "antenna amplifier power feed". Will it harm anything to try it this way?

Thanks again,
RJ
Old 08-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
What make and model rv do you have? The Winegard "bat wing" antenna has a powered head. It is powered via the coax going to the bat wing. There is a plate with an on off switch and red power indicator. On most there are two coax connections for TVs. These are safe to connect into the converter antenna in. The coax directly from the antenna can't be connected to the converter.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #7

John,

We have a 2008 Allegro 32LA. I don't have a power head, only a crank inside the MH. I checked again and have only one antenna line which is currently attached to the antenna input on the switch box. Should it work to disconnect that line, attache it to a converter box and then from the converter box back into the antenna input on the switch box?

Thanks,
RJ
Old 08-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
With that new a motor home, you definitely have the amplified antenna. Your on/off switch is probably in the entertainment center cabinet. Does your TV selector switch have a power switch on it? If so that coax may be powered.

Winegard Sensar Antenna
Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #9

John,
I can't find an on/off switch. Ours is pretty basic. No entertainment center, just a place with wires and the switch box. Also, no power switch on the TV selector. Will he hurt to converter to the antenna lead and then to the switch box?

Thanks,
RJ
Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think it will work. To be opn the safe side, take a volt meter and check for 12 volts DC on the antenna coax jack of the switch. If there isn't any voltage, you should be good to go.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
How I connected ours it to remove the coax from the switch box that goes to the antenna. Install a splitter that has one port DC pass and connect that to the antenna connection on the switch box. That will allow the signal booster to still operate on the antenna. Connect the other side to the DTV converter and connect that to the AUX input of the switch box. Now just select AUX for the TV you want to watch digital television on.

I know that I saw a diagram of that somewhere but darned if I can find it.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #12

Thanks,
RJ
Old 08-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you attach it between the antenna line and the switch box it will not work. PERIOD.

Here is how you do it.

Get a "Diplexer" this is a splitter with power pass through on one port

The common (single) connector goes to the roof, the power pass through to the switch box (Which provides power for the mast-head amplifier in the antenna) and the non-power pass to the converter.. The converter out goes to the AUX in on the switch box.. That will work

select TV-ANT for over the air ANALOG (IE: in Canada or low power relay stations)

Select AUX for DIGITAL.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Disconnect the coax going into the back of the TV and connect it there. You want a different converter for the bedroom and hook it up the same way. You need to to be able to watch two different shows as you change channels with the converter. Works fine for me and gives a great picture. Turn off the converter box when hooked up to cable and the converter will just pass the cable signal through to the TV.
David
floridaflash is offline   Reply With Quote