Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2015, 01:40 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Windows 10!

Just downloaded Win10. So far, so good...but no ad block on MS Edge browser.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2015, 03:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Just downloaded Win10. So far, so good...but no ad block on MS Edge browser.

You are very brave !!
Old 07-29-2015, 03:15 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"You can tell the pioneers by the arrows in their backs". (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:39 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You're brave Sarah. We're still on Windows 7.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:19 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My nephew who is an IT professional (and what I have also read) strongly recommends I not do the Windows 10 'upgrade' to any existing OS. He said the best way to avoid issues is to remove the existing OS and start with a clean install of 10. He said if you merely upgrade 7 or 8, any corrupted stuff you might have in the existing OS may linger and cause issues.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
My nephew who is an IT professional (and what I have also read) strongly recommends I not do the Windows 10 'upgrade' to any existing OS. He said the best way to avoid issues is to remove the existing OS and start with a clean install of 10. He said if you merely upgrade 7 or 8, any corrupted stuff you might have in the existing OS may linger and cause issues.
This is among the best advice ever given to humanity.

Disclaimer: I own a tech company.
Skeetobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #7

I was a Windows Insider and tested the early builds. They steadily got better and the final one works great. As far as I'm concerned, no need to do the "clean" install. As for Edge, they still need work on it to get extensions such as ad blockers. I still use Chrome because it syncs with my android phone and has all the add-ons you'd want.

Frankly, I don't see the need for the new windows except that it should have fewer bugs than 8. If you have an older version that works, I don't see any need to upgrade. It does, however, give you more of a choice between the newer metro look and the older desktop.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:47 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
FYI for those who want to do a clean install, but don't want to buy a license:
How to Do a Clean Install of Windows 10
Old 07-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
...and a few other useful bits of info:
How to Disable Bing Search in Windows 10's Start Menu
Check These 5 Settings After Installing Windows 10
The Ultimate Guide to Windows 10 Keyboard Shortcuts
Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
You are very brave !!
Not brave. Just a previous user of the pathetic Win 8. I figured it couldn't be any worse.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by padre44 View Post
I was a Windows Insider and tested the early builds. They steadily got better and the final one works great. As far as I'm concerned, no need to do the "clean" install. As for Edge, they still need work on it to get extensions such as ad blockers. I still use Chrome because it syncs with my android phone and has all the add-ons you'd want.

Frankly, I don't see the need for the new windows except that it should have fewer bugs than 8. If you have an older version that works, I don't see any need to upgrade. It does, however, give you more of a choice between the newer metro look and the older desktop.
Agree. I am a former IT professional; 28 years as a senior systems analyst. The transition to 10 was seamless and smooth; very impressive for Microsoft.

I was willing to move ahead and get this laptop off Win 8. Our Windows 7 machines will not be upgraded...yet.

So far, I give 10 a huge thumbs up.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:42 PM   #12

I actually liked 8.1 after making it work the way I wanted. I did however download and install 10 today, and so far not one glitch. Very easy to adjust to the new start menu, get rid of the stuff I don't care about. New browser is different, not better, just different. They do have IE 11 on the machine and all the setting, bookmarks, etc. are still there. I am convinced they slowed IE down to make the new browser seem faster. Learning where they put some of the customizations is a hunt and seek, but not too bad.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I actually liked 8.1 after making it work the way I wanted. I did however download and install 10 today, and so far not one glitch. Very easy to adjust to the new start menu, get rid of the stuff I don't care about. New browser is different, not better, just different. They do have IE 11 on the machine and all the setting, bookmarks, etc. are still there. I am convinced they slowed IE down to make the new browser seem faster. Learning where they put some of the customizations is a hunt and seek, but not too bad.
I agree. I was able to import my bookmarks from Chrome to Edge with a single click! I'm using Firefox right now and it works fine on 10, too.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #14

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
"You can tell the pioneers by the arrows in their backs". (-:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
You're brave Sarah. We're still on Windows 7.
I'm also staying with Win 7, probably until 01/14/2020. If I upgraded to Win 10, I would lose Windows Media Center. I would also need to replace a very expensive, and perfectly good, UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) because Win 10 won't support Gadgets and my UPS uses two instances of a Gadget to monitor it's operation. There is no telling what other software and hardware won't be supported by Win 10 (probably not many but any is too much).

I also do not like Win 10's forced update policy. MS has issued too many updates in the past that have broken people's machines. also. MS's new "vision" means Win 10 could get a major GUI change that will make it more disagreeable than it is already or get an update that breaks some hardware and software (that often happens now with hardware driver updates).
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window