Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2021, 11:37 AM   #15

I'm with OldBiscuit. I liked XP. I using 7 now. It's ok.
My system is acting up occasionally so I might have to upgrade, UGH
I think I still have my XP disc, somewhere, lol.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2021, 11:43 AM   #16
YC1

Been running 10 for years and really like it.

Upgraded to 11 recently and not entirely happy. Not just the learning curve. I'm still climbing that.

Using the file search function on 11 is a real issue. I do a search and on 10 it would let me go right to the file location versus just the single file.

11 makes it very difficult for me to find the file path. That is, it takes several more steps.

There is likely a way for me to change the preferences but have been a bit too busy to take it up on the priority list.

Ten is an excellent system and they did a great job keeping up with security measures.

I see very little improvement in 11 but they claim it will provide better streaming.

If you try to upgrade to any of them it will first analyze your computer to see if it works.

"Get a Mac" is not useful ...

I have had computers since we had to write our own programs. If you are going to jump into the 10/11 from older versions then 11 might be the better way to go as suggested. No reason to learn two operating systems.

Of course backup as always. Did I say backup? Yes, do it again and have at least two backups.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
I'm with OldBiscuit. I liked XP. I using 7 now. It's ok.
My system is acting up occasionally so I might have to upgrade, UGH
I think I still have my XP disc, somewhere, lol.

Here's the computer requirements to be allowed to install Win11.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...specifications
Old 11-29-2021, 09:56 PM   #18

Up until a couple years ago I was using a HP laptop with Vista, But since the wife was just playing games on her HP laptop Windows 7 I decided to change with her. Unfortunately a few weeks ago the Windows 7 screen went blank even tho I can hear movements inside.

So went back to my old Vista that is still working, but seeing as how the 7 has crapped out with less use than the Vista surely the Vista won't last much longer. I've already lost all my e-mail on Windows Mail with the Vista since MS no longer supporting it and I'm unable to even access it. As of April every time I try it asks for my ID and Password, which I've never had to do, but have no idea what it's asking for. So speaking, it's gone for me.

Not really excited about going to either a 10 or 11, but one of those happenings you know just has to take place.

Changes are evedent, but not all changes are good. Like was stated above, even XP is still very much usable and good, same with my Vista. Have heard it's really terrible but I'm used to it and have no problems. Just the age of it.
Old 11-30-2021, 05:36 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
need at least 8mb with windows 10 and an SDD drive will speed it up so that it will be tolerable. no experience with windows 11 but would up the 8mb of ram to 16mb. both the SSD drive and Ram can make a huge performance diff..
now that is funny... should have written 8gigs of ram.... remember when I bought 8mb's of ram for my apple, paid $350 for it including installation... wow... use to be a staunch supporter of Mac.... just tired of getting screwed on the prices.... , final dig came when they refused to update their net browser for mac 9's. 4 business machines made useless, just down the toilet, $8000.00, never again.... my XP, 7,8, and 10 machines still all work correctly on line and for my LAN network... I consider Mac kinda like going to the dentist these days... 2 fillings and my copay is $3200.00.... hahaaaa... I don't think so...
Old 11-30-2021, 05:38 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Up until a couple years ago I was using a HP laptop with Vista, But since the wife was just playing games on her HP laptop Windows 7 I decided to change with her. Unfortunately a few weeks ago the Windows 7 screen went blank even tho I can hear movements inside.

So went back to my old Vista that is still working, but seeing as how the 7 has crapped out with less use than the Vista surely the Vista won't last much longer. I've already lost all my e-mail on Windows Mail with the Vista since MS no longer supporting it and I'm unable to even access it. As of April every time I try it asks for my ID and Password, which I've never had to do, but have no idea what it's asking for. So speaking, it's gone for me.

Not really excited about going to either a 10 or 11, but one of those happenings you know just has to take place.

Changes are evedent, but not all changes are good. Like was stated above, even XP is still very much usable and good, same with my Vista. Have heard it's really terrible but I'm used to it and have no problems. Just the age of it.
I keep windows 7 on a back up laptop, mine still works perfectly, but I don't allow it to do updates. sounds like your main board has failed.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:06 PM   #21

I purchased a new HP laptop last Thursday. I did have trouble getting my HP Office Jet Pro 6968 to print duplex. After trying several suggestions that were on line that didn’t work, starting a print job from Word did allow the printer options to be change to duplex. So far my old programs(apps) have worked. This laptop doesn’t have a cd/dvd drive. Ordered an external UsB for $20 to continue to load software.

There are a few quirky items that I am in the process of charging. I hate to move the mouse pointer over an app and the app opens. I like to be able to control operations. The others are personal preferences. I like a big pointer and no unnecessary animations.

Don’t know how much is Windows or the solid state drive and updated processor, but system is much faster.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newps View Post
Here's the computer requirements to be allowed to install Win11.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...specifications
Yeah, a while back they (HW and SE vendors) colluded to build in obsolescence into the OS and hardware. Your processor has to be "newer" or you will stop receiving any updates from MicroShaft. Then you become vulnerable to exploits.
These days the cheaper computers have older processors and therefore will not get updates or not get them for long.
It basically forces you to upgrade the hardware even though your current older hardware has more than enough power to do everything you want.
Check here to see what processor you might have and when you will stop receiving updates: MicroShaft Processor Requirements
Old 12-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have our laptops set for automatic updates. Does that mean that Windows 11 will be installed without my consent?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Yeah, a while back they (HW and SE vendors) colluded to build in obsolescence into the OS and hardware. Your processor has to be "newer" or you will stop receiving any updates from MicroShaft. Then you become vulnerable to exploits.
These days the cheaper computers have older processors and therefore will not get updates or not get them for long.
It basically forces you to upgrade the hardware even though your current older hardware has more than enough power to do everything you want.
Check here to see what processor you might have and when you will stop receiving updates: MicroShaft Processor Requirements
The solution for CPUs no longer supported by M$ - some flavor of Linux distribution. The Mint distribution seems popular with folks just starting their journey as a "Friend of Linus".

edit ps: I've got several machines on Win 7 that need updated to 10, and then Win10 needs to be 'de-clawed' to my security and bloatware satisfaction. Bah. I suspect at least 2 of these machines will finally have a MOBO failure (Core2 Duo? i7 1st gen?) before I get around to them.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I have our laptops set for automatic updates. Does that mean that Windows 11 will be installed without my consent?

I think you “consented” when you did auto updates. [emoji6] 11from what I saw is actually more of an “update”/ refresh. The one windows computer I still have I set updates done automatically as security without is an issue.
Since I went mostly mac and don’t “play” with computers anymore I have much less stress trying to make windows work. I more and more find the windows system annoying. But it’s what you get used to I guess.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:36 AM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I think you “consented” when you did auto updates. [emoji6] 11from what I saw is actually more of an “update”/ refresh. The one windows computer I still have I set updates done automatically as security without is an issue.
Since I went mostly mac and don’t “play” with computers anymore I have much less stress trying to make windows work. I more and more find the windows system annoying. But it’s what you get used to I guess.
Where does it show which system I have?
Old 12-01-2021, 12:39 PM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Where does it show which system I have?
Never mind, I found it! I have Windows 10 Pro
Old 12-01-2021, 03:31 PM   #28

Quote:
No. It will be offered, but not forced.
https://www.xda-developers.com/windo...force-upgrade/

Tags
wind, window