Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2021, 04:39 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just bought a Chrome Book for $87. New on Walmart black Friday deals.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2021, 10:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Just bought a Chrome Book for $87. New on Walmart black Friday deals.
How does a Chrome Book work? Or, what do you do with it?
Old 12-02-2021, 04:25 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
was wondering the same thing? about the chrome book, doesn't it have an non-microsoft op system? wifes laptop has a i5 4core with 12gigs, and is super fast but will no longer up date due to "pending updates" say her lease of windows is up??? meaning what? I paid for that OS and now they are revoking it and refusing to update it unless I pay more??? what a rip off!

Guess I'm going to have to start looking around for another op system as I can't afford to keep paying windows update fees. Her problems started when she signed up for office 365. I have deleted 365 from all my computers now to see if it will prevent the problem.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:32 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
was wondering the same thing? about the chrome book, doesn't it have an non-microsoft op system? wifes laptop has a i5 4core with 12gigs, and is super fast but will no longer up date due to "pending updates" say her lease of windows is up??? meaning what? I paid for that OS and now they are revoking it and refusing to update it unless I pay more??? what a rip off!

Guess I'm going to have to start looking around for another op system as I can't afford to keep paying windows update fees. Her problems started when she signed up for office 365. I have deleted 365 from all my computers now to see if it will prevent the problem.

I suspect your Windows OS system is still working & the message pertains to what is now branded as Microsoft 365 (formerly Office 365). Just a thought.
lemodrop9344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
How does a Chrome Book work? Or, what do you do with it?
Very similar to a desktop if what you mostly do is browse the internet. You can install SOME (but not all) Android phone apps on a Chromebook, and there's a web browser, and using the browser and Google Docs, you can edit documents, spreadsheets, and the like. But that's about it. They're great low cost, low maintenance, computers if that's all you need.

Watch out for screen resolution. The very inexpensive ones can have very small, and low resolution, screens. They also often don't have backlit keyboards if that matters to you.

FWIW, I have both a Windows laptop and a Chromebook (Acer Spin 713 - it has a nice screen). I use the Chromebook in my office for doing personal email while working. They don't allow us to do personal email on our work computers.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:48 PM   #34

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Mostly it's about security. Anything older than Win 10 is pretty vulnerable. Win 11 adds TPM 2.0 which is a hardware security enhancement. Other than that it's a slightly different interface. I haven't noticed any glaring issues with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module

Fully agree. I've updated my desktop and laptop to 11 with no issues. Was about a 5 minute learning curve to use. My wife's desktop on Windows 10 couldn't be updated because of its older Core i3 processor without the TPM 2.0 module.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #35

Windows 10 v Windows 11

Quote:
Been looking at new laptops and most come with Windows 10 with free opportunity for the store to upgrade to Windows 11. Anyone have any experience with Windows 11 yet?

Since I'm jumping up from Windows 7 either one will be a big improvement, BUT, is one better or nicer to work with than the other. No idea at all what either is all about.
I don't see a lot of differences aside from the interface. That takes a little getting used to. I got Windows 11 with a new laptop as well. The biggest difference I've found is with the newer processors. The difference in speed with 6 cores and 12-18 threads is amazing.

I'm a full-timer with heavy reliance on my laptop for everything from email and zoom meetings to streaming. The difference is hard to believe.

Kevin
KPMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #36

The only practical option on a PC is the operating system. 1. Windows (Microsoft) 2. iOS (Apple). This is a long term decision. Then, accept that you will always run the most current version. Thirty years of history suggests that when an OS launches a new full version, it is prudent to wait a few weeks or so. But, know that you will go, you will be forced into, the most current version, eventually.. Why waste time and headache? Today- take Windows 10 with unrestricted access to move to 11, for free, for a reasonable passage of time.
DiverTracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 04:05 PM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I've been using 11 for a week now and you really can't tell any difference except the way it looks. The only issue I had was using the Win 10 "connect" function to stream content from my computer to the TV. I could not for the life of me find the menu option in Win 11. It's under settings/display/multiple displays/connect. Not a good change.
OldracerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Been looking at new laptops and most come with Windows 10 with free opportunity for the store to upgrade to Windows 11. Anyone with any experience with the Windows 11 yet?

Since I'm jumping up from Windows 7 either one will be a big improvement, BUT, is one better or nicer to work with than the other. No idea at all what either is all about.

Just recently upgraded from 10 to 11. Ho hum. Other than a few minor cosmetic differences, I don't see any huge improvements. The jump from 7 to 10, however is a bit more dramatic, but I suspect you'll be pleased after a VERY brief learning curve. Even then, the majority of the changes are cosmetic.
PLDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 04:08 PM   #39

Computer Professional

Quote:
Been looking at new laptops and most come with Windows 10 with free opportunity for the store to upgrade to Windows 11. Anyone with any experience with the Windows 11 yet?

I recently bought a new compact desktop computer for our Coach which came with Windows 10. I got a notification it was ready for Windows 11, so I went on with the install. Windows 11 makes the computer very childish like it was designed by a 16 year old kid. After 1 week, I went back to Windows 10.
DougJames65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Been running 10 for years and really like it.

Upgraded to 11 recently and not entirely happy. Not just the learning curve. I'm still climbing that.

Using the file search function on 11 is a real issue. I do a search and on 10 it would let me go right to the file location versus just the single file.

11 makes it very difficult for me to find the file path. That is, it takes several more steps.

There is likely a way for me to change the preferences but have been a bit too busy to take it up on the priority list.

Ten is an excellent system and they did a great job keeping up with security measures.

I see very little improvement in 11 but they claim it will provide better streaming.

If you try to upgrade to any of them it will first analyze your computer to see if it works.

"Get a Mac" is not useful ...

I have had computers since we had to write our own programs. If you are going to jump into the 10/11 from older versions then 11 might be the better way to go as suggested. No reason to learn two operating systems.

Of course backup as always. Did I say backup? Yes, do it again and have at least two backups.

Try right-clicking on the file. I think it will show you "open in location" or something. Otherwise, yes, you can change settings in Windows Explorer to show more of the pathway.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:14 PM   #41

Quote:
Up until a couple years ago I was using a HP laptop with Vista, But since the wife was just playing games on her HP laptop Windows 7 I decided to change with her. Unfortunately a few weeks ago the Windows 7 screen went blank even tho I can hear movements inside.

So went back to my old Vista that is still working, but seeing as how the 7 has crapped out with less use than the Vista surely the Vista won't last much longer. I've already lost all my e-mail on Windows Mail with the Vista since MS no longer supporting it and I'm unable to even access it. As of April every time I try it asks for my ID and Password, which I've never had to do, but have no idea what it's asking for. So speaking, it's gone for me.

Not really excited about going to either a 10 or 11, but one of those happenings you know just has to take place.

Changes are evedent, but not all changes are good. Like was stated above, even XP is still very much usable and good, same with my Vista. Have heard it's really terrible but I'm used to it and have no problems. Just the age of it.

If you haven't been hacked, hit with ransomware, or spied on with XP or Vista, it's just sheer luck. Those OS's are BOTH really vulnerable to security risks. In fact, that's the main reason for most Windows upgrades.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:17 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
I purchased a new HP laptop last Thursday. I did have trouble getting my HP Office Jet Pro 6968 to print duplex. After trying several suggestions that were on line that didnít work, starting a print job from Word did allow the printer options to be change to duplex. So far my old programs(apps) have worked. This laptop doesnít have a cd/dvd drive. Ordered an external UsB for $20 to continue to load software.

There are a few quirky items that I am in the process of charging. I hate to move the mouse pointer over an app and the app opens. I like to be able to control operations. The others are personal preferences. I like a big pointer and no unnecessary animations.

Donít know how much is Windows or the solid state drive and updated processor, but system is much faster.

That "instant open" deal is a setting you can adjust.

Tags
wind, window