Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #1

Windows Mail e-mail error message

When accessing my Windows Mail e-mail site I get an error message number 0x80004005.
Would anyone happen to know what that means and what I need to do about it to get my e-mail working again?

This is my second one in about a month when I've been using the account for 4 years now without ever any problem. Bout to get the best of me.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hello wagonmaster2,

Need more info to assist you.

Windows Version?
Email program Version?
Anything else other than 0x80004005, like "An unknown error has occurred. In: 'xxx.xxx.xxx.com', Server: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.com ', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure (SSL): No, Number Error: 0x80004005"

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Hello wagonmaster2,

Need more info to assist you.

Windows Version?
Email program Version?
Anything else other than 0x80004005, like "An unknown error has occurred. In: 'xxx.xxx.xxx.com', Server: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.com ', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure (SSL): No, Number Error: 0x80004005"
Thanks texnet. I'm using Vista on a HP Pavillion 6000 laptop, not sure what is meant by "Email program version" though.

All you quoted sounded very familiar and when I went back to my e-mail site to get answers to your question Lo and Behold, everything is working fine. I had received an e-mail just very recently and no mention of any error. Gad, I have no idea what is happening.

If it shows up again I'll know what information to post when asking about it.

Thanks again for responding. Really appreciate your interest in helping us computer illiterates. I kind of feel like a person getting ready to drive a car and asks what the peddles on the floor are for.

Wagonmaster2
Old 01-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Thanks texnet. I'm using Vista on a HP Pavillion 6000 laptop, not sure what is meant by "Email program version" though.

All you quoted sounded very familiar and when I went back to my e-mail site to get answers to your question Lo and Behold, everything is working fine. I had received an e-mail just very recently and no mention of any error. Gad, I have no idea what is happening.

If it shows up again I'll know what information to post when asking about it.

Thanks again for responding. Really appreciate your interest in helping us computer illiterates. I kind of feel like a person getting ready to drive a car and asks what the peddles on the floor are for.

Wagonmaster2
You said yoru using Windows Mail, which is the mail program provide with VISTA. The simple solution is to just close the program and reopen it and it will work fine for some unknowable lenght of time, then do the same thing again. Happens to me all the time and not anything I have been able to nail down and fix. When I say all the time I am talking about maybe once every couple of months.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #5

Thanks, that's good information to know. Guess I should log off more rather than just Hibernating.

Wagonmaster2
Old 01-14-2012, 05:39 AM   #6

I use MS Outlook 2003. I started getting the same message after a Windows update. It was on three different computers (XP, Vista & Win7).

I forced one more update on each computer and the problem was solved. Perhaps the update had a fix that needed a fix.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Thanks, that's good information to know. Guess I should log off more rather than just Hibernating.

Wagonmaster2
Yes sometimes rebooting your computer solves a lot of problems.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is not something "new."

Google search on "0x80004005" without the quotes and you will get a lot of info.

Microsoft seems to think it is associated with Script Blocking provided by an anti-virus program.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two ways to get mail on yoru computer.

One is what I call Client mail. This uses a program such as Outlook, Outlook Express, or Windows Mail to collect your mail from the host's server. Back in the dial up days programs like this were nice because I could "Dial up" the ISP's mail host, download all my E-mail, Disconnect, read, and compose replies, then re-connect and send the replies and any new E-mails. made sense.

However hackers quickly found ways to exploit faults in those mail client programs and infect your comuter with malware (They tried with mine but hey, NetTamer, a dos app, is more or less secure from this type of exploit)

The other way is Web mail. Yahoo, G-mail, Hot Mail and many more all have web based mail clients.. These do not run on windows machines nor on your computer so you are protected against infection when using them. And what is more.. You can go to any computer, Library, Yours, Public kosk, any computer and access your E-mail using the web mail client your provider has and it's exactly the same as when you last accessed from your compuer.

So if I read half my E-mail using this netbook, then swithc to my laptop and read half of what's left, then switch to the Mini-tower and read the rest, it makes no differnece to Mail . isp . com what computer I use, I pick up exctly where i left off.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And if you tell your email "client" to leave a copy on the server, then any email client you open will download your email, and you can still use the web mail and have it on the server. The server can be set to delete mail at your prescribed length of time.

So in essence, I have 3 email clients so I have two backups should one go "South"
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote