Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Winegard Anser Must Not Have Been The Answer

The Winegard Anser hasn't been on the market for long, already a new model is about to be released.

Winegard introduces Pathway X2 TV antenna for DISH > RV Daily Report |

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Good afternoon Fred & Bonnie -

Thanks for your interest in the Pathway X2! While the Pathway X2 is similar in mold, it is a completely different satellite system. The Anser is in no way being discontinued, we just wanted to offer our customers another option when selecting a portable satellite antenna.

Though the X2 is still a few months away, the new satellite system was unveiled today at the DISH Team Summit Show to give DISH dealers a sneak peek at a new satellite system coming their way!

If you have any questions about the Pathway X2 please refer to our website at Winegard Pathway X2 for DISH - DISH HD Portable Satellite TV Antenna. You can also sign up there to receive updates on the product.
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Andy, I would be lot happier if Windgard offered a portable automatic antenna that I could use with my Dish 722 DVR. I use your Carryout antenna for short stops (2-3 days), and a manually aimed 3LNB dish for longer stays.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I am really glad to see this innovation coming out. I currently have Vangard In Motion on my coach and DW and I are extraordinarily frustrated with the way Dish and Vangard work.

The fact that you can't get a clear, concise listing what is on which satellite, combined with me knocking her off her program because I change to a different program, not knowing whether it is on the same satellite as DW's bedroom TV, is terrible.

And Dish's answer is that's the way it is. A few have tried to post channel guides on line privately...why can't Dish and Vangard get together and post a channel guide on the TV that shows what satellite you are viewing (since you can't seem to get them all on one satellite).

Solution ... an expensive, and what ought to be an unneeded install of a Winegard 3000 Traveller.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Andy, I would be lot happier if Windgard offered a portable automatic antenna that I could use with my Dish 722 DVR. I use your Carryout antenna for short stops (2-3 days), and a manually aimed 3LNB dish for longer stays.

fred
Fred,
As a fellow who had the same wish list as you, I understand your position. The problem is the sat providers spread the broadcast across multiple sats, which require antenna capable of multiangle reception. Hence the odd oblong (non-parabolic reflectors) and skew angle for multisat reception. That was done for a few different reasons, needless to say commissioning a satellite in geo orbit is a costly affair. I am in the business and it is still mind boggling when I see the cost estimates for bird replacements.

The portable auto acquire units continue to use parabolic antenna, which limit it to one sat at a time. Itís about the focus. These products are very nice, considering what the man. are having to accomplish.

I gave up and put a trav'ler on the bus, it is an awesome tool, once you see it work, you will understand why it isnít portable. My other option is the same as yours, I use a external tripod system if I end up parked in a place where the trav'ler doesnít work. I havenít had to deploy it since installing the trav'ler.

As you have probably attained, I have a fairly decent handle on being able to locate the bus and get the required look angle.
Depending on your programming, Direct TV HD could require a wider aperture on the tree line than a similar Dish HD setup.

Darin
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I am really glad to see this innovation coming out. I currently have Vangard In Motion on my coach and DW and I are extraordinarily frustrated with the way Dish and Vangard work.

The fact that you can't get a clear, concise listing what is on which satellite, combined with me knocking her off her program because I change to a different program, not knowing whether it is on the same satellite as DW's bedroom TV, is terrible.

And Dish's answer is that's the way it is. A few have tried to post channel guides on line privately...why can't Dish and Vangard get together and post a channel guide on the TV that shows what satellite you are viewing (since you can't seem to get them all on one satellite).

Solution ... an expensive, and what ought to be an unneeded install of a Winegard 3000 Traveller.
Dave,
I gave up on my "in motion" unit for the same reason. Between two remote controls and DVR, we never were on the same bird.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Darin,
I'm at a loss of why a company cannot produce an antenna that will function in portable mode like the roof top traveler. Is it that complicated to put the required LNB's on a portable one and do the mechanics for alignment? I had posted a thought of why the Traveler could not be used, say on a picnic table, or other sturdy object designed for it. There were only a few answers and none were technical.

Just thinking out loud. (Sometimes a problem in itself.)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Darin,
I'm at a loss of why a company cannot produce an antenna that will function in portable mode like the roof top traveler. Is it that complicated to put the required LNB's on a portable one and do the mechanics for alignment? I had posted a thought of why the Traveler could not be used, say on a picnic table, or other sturdy object designed for it. There were only a few answers and none were technical.

Just thinking out loud. (Sometimes a problem in itself.)
I suspect there just isnt enough of us asking.

It's more complex than the "singles" due to power and stability requirements, however it isn't impossible. I believe it comes down to what the market is asking for or willing to pay.

It would cost more than the current trav'ler and require more interface connectivity from inside the RV to the outside world. It has to power the motors with external cabling. This requires more "interface" on the RV as well as internal wiring. My RV came with a Cable connection that I have put into a switch array to allow for Sat, cable, or ext. antenna connectivity. Thats a lot of function on one cable. This isnt possible with the Trav'ler or my RV as it comes from the factory.

The trav'ler weighs in at 60Lbs. assembled without the stable base, which in my case is a 30,000lbs. bus. It imposes forces that would cause it to hunt during peaking that require a very stable picnic table to keep it stable enough to work.

It would be harder to store (size), setup (size, weight, and base), and connect (more cabling) than a single. There is always a "Is it really worth it factor". This is where I arrived concerning my "in motion" we didnt really watch tv during travel and it wasnt worth the hassle for multisat ops. The Trav'ler is "on target" by the time I am connected to the fixed world.

For what its worth, I am very happy with my trav'ler setup on dish, and I have no issues getting setup and staying on target. I have my portable unit dissassembled and stored in the basement, it is a tripod with the 1000.2 reflector, in case I cant get the trav'ler in an opening.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #9

Dunno - on the James Bond movies, compact and folding (like an Asian folding fan) parabolic antennas with auto-aiming seem pretty light, compact, and efficient - and rechargeable motor aiming batteries at the remote dish that are kept charged by the same signal/power source provided by the single cable to operate the antenna system doesn't seem like rocket science - maybe Dish needs "Q" on their development staff!

Miniaturization of powerful motor and solid-state control systems has come a LONG way in recent years!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
How much you want to pay, how reliable you want it to be, how many of us are going to buy it?

I agree technology changes fast, Gary you have a very useful idea with the batteries. Now our antenna weighs in at 65 lbs. and is larger in foot print. Of course we can start to minimize base structure with the added stability of mass. The base structure requirements for auto aquisition will be the next hurdle. It could be rigid liquid filled system that can be drained easily in order to be portable. Then there is the liability of automatic moving equipment within range of someone else. How many warning signs do you think we will need?

I personally do not want to have to drag out a 60 lbs. unit and set it up everytime I get to a new spot, that in itself is a deal breaker. I sometimes do not connect sewer or water if I am just passing through. I live self contained quite a bit.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
The Winegard Anser hasn't been on the market for long, already a new model is about to be released.

Winegard introduces Pathway X2 TV antenna for DISH > RV Daily Report |

fred
My anser with DirectTV works great, no problems once I figured out how to find the angle with my Iphone app.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #12

I think Tailgater was/is eating their lunch. It looks like the Pathway still doesn't support Dish Pro PLUS. That would give them a chance.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I think Tailgater was/is eating their lunch. It looks like the Pathway still doesn't support Dish Pro PLUS. That would give them a chance.
Good morning Barry,

Winegard offers several systems that work with DISH Pro Plus equipment. For more information please visit Winegard DISH Compatibile Receivers for the RV.

We're excited for the release of the Pathway X2 this August and the response from DISH dealers as to the advantages of our system over other available models has been ecstatic!

Thank you again for your interest.
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by winegard View Post

Good morning Barry,

Winegard offers several systems that work with DISH Pro Plus equipment. For more information please visit Winegard DISH Compatibile Receivers for the RV.

We're excited for the release of the Pathway X2 this August and the response from DISH dealers as to the advantages of our system over other available models has been ecstatic!
Already been there. None of those are automatic carryouts.

And BTW, the only "advantage" likely to make retailers "ecstatic" is an opportunity for higher markups.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote