Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 01:21 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Winegard antenna identification, help

I read on an old thread here abouts that early versions of this antenna were vhf only, these had painted bat wings according to the OP. Mine has painted wings so I'm wondering. I'm in the Sacramento, Ca area, Auburn, specifically and on high ground but having trouble pulling in local stations. Only get a couple and they are prone to dropping out. So trying to identify if this is the early version of this antenna and what might be recommended to replace it.
Motorhome is a 2006 Damon Daybreak. Thanks for your help!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 03:23 PM   #2

That is likely the Sensar III "batwing" antenna. It should have the booster built into the head. It is best for VHF channels. You can add the Wingman antenna to it to aid in getting better reception on the UHF channels. The wall plate is the power for the booster in the antenna head.

Assuming that it is working properly and wired correctly and you add the Wingman, it is probably the best antenna you can get for an RV as far as range.

Adding the SensarPro will help in aligning the antenna and getting the maximum boost.

If you check tvfool.com, you will find that you are getting to the upper limit of the range for RV antennas in Auburn. Your antenna is likely about the best for your area. (Again if you add the Wingman.)
Old 03-31-2015, 03:28 PM   #3

Hard to tell from the photo, but the lower coax connection at the base of the antenna doesn't look right, like it might be disconnected. Make sure it is connected properly.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:30 AM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
No way do you have one of the "Old" antennas on your 2006. The "old" antennas are back in the early 90s or older.

As Jim A mentioned, be sure to check all your coax ends and connections. Most antenna performance issues are coax related and rarely a bad antenna or amplifier.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #5

Agree with the statements to check all coax connections for corrosion and proper fit. Your Batwing antenna does receive both VHF and UHF signals, but adding the Wingman will improve UHF reception. You may also want to replace the Winegard power supply with the newer Sensar Pro booster. Lots of new features and helps fine tune the channels.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:56 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sensar II or III. (no signinficant difference between them so the differnce does not matter)

Suggested inprovements:
if older (like 10)repace coax roof to antenna.. I like RG-6 but 59 should work

Add Wingman

The 2nd photo (Wall plate) replace that with Sensar Pro.

Result=Best RV antenna made.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok thanks for the helpful hints, I'll order a wingman and check out all the cable and replace if necessary, or maybe even if not.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
if older (like 10)repace coax roof to antenna.. I like RG-6 but 59 should work.
I don't know about the roof, but the black coax in the cabinet, shown in the second picture, is RG-6.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:53 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Sensar Pro differences v. Sensar II and III

Just curious how the Sensar Pro works. Do you still use the hand crank to raise it and how do you position it to highest signal? What are the improvements over Sensar II and III?

I saw what looked like a really nice antenna in a newer Fleetwood Discovery where there is a permanent wing like antenna on the top of the coach (very aerodynamic) and you simply move the dial on the roof inside the coach until the LED lights are brightest for the best signal.

Does Sensar Pro work something like this -- if so how?

Thanks.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Sensar Pro is the indoor module.. Somewhere inside the RV you have a switch..This is either a Matrix Switch (Box of Many Buttons or BOMB) or a wall plate..The Wall Plate has a switch,LED,12volt outlet and antenna connection on the front and either3 or 4 more coax connections on the back.

Most folks improperly call the wall plate "The Booster" (which is in the antenna head) it,and the BOMB are the power supply, source switch and splitter.

The Sensar Pro replaces the wall plate. It, has 4 coax connections:
Antenna, Park cable, TV-1 and TV-2 These are all on the rear so you need to make a small modification to bring TV-1 to the front (Small notch and bring the coax out).

Since my coach has the BOMB I had to add a box (Standard outlet box) to mount it in and then extend the antenna cable to it, and it's output back to the BOMB.

Sensar Pro provides the following

OFF-CABLE selected
ON-Antenna selected... AND:
Scan: Searches for strongest carrier and displays carrier channel number and signal strength.. You may rotate and aim antenna here
Select: You manually select channel and it displays strength,, Again you may aim
Scroll: You scroll through the signals it found,, and it displays the strength, You guessed it, You can aim here
GAIN: you can adjust the gain of the 2nd (Sensro Pro's) Pre-amp. from zero (very strong attunetntion) to 10 (Unity more than likey) to 20 (Much gain).. Mine is set on 20.
Audio: Adjust volume of Audio Feedback (You know that annoying BEEPER folks use to point their Satellite antennas...Works same way).

In my case I ran TV2- via a dedicated cable (RG-6) to the rear where it feeds a Digital converter... And the Converter feeds a DVR (The TVs get their signal via the pre-existing cable and the BOMB).

I feed TV-1 to the BOMB and then to the VCR out (VCR replaced with a 2nd DVR and converter).

The DVR's can thus record over the air via the digital convrter boxes (Which they control) or via COAX or in the case of the front one via then nose camera or in the case of the rear one via another source (Currently a Sat Receiver connnected but not activated). Very handy.

Tags
antenna, cat