Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2019, 06:12 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winegard Pathway X2 question

Will using the Pathway X2 enable the two tuner function of the Wally like the Traveler does?

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2019, 04:40 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Will using the Pathway X2 enable the two tuner function of the Wally like the Traveler does?

Bob
Guess no one has any experience with the Pathway X2 and a Wally.

Bob
Old 10-30-2019, 04:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
No it does not . No single lnb portable does
Old 10-30-2019, 06:00 AM   #4

We have a Pathway X2 and we have been told that we can have 2 different shows on if both shows are from the same satellite. We also have been told that we will need 2 Wallys.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:44 AM   #5

You will need two Wallys and have to be on the same satellite.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #6

Just a guess but if you have a hard drive connected to one Wally for a dvr you should be able to watch one show and record another as long as both channels are on the same sat. If you want to watch two different shows then as others have said you would need two Wallys and both shows still have to be on the same sat.
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd48 View Post
Just a guess but if you have a hard drive connected to one Wally for a dvr you should be able to watch one show and record another as long as both channels are on the same sat.

Unfortunately that’s not the way it works. One Wally - one tuner with the portable dish even if the channels are on the same satellite. It REQUIRES a full face dish to activate the two tuners in a wally
I haven’t done this but If you have two wallys and a dual output dish ( the pathway x2 is ) then the main Wally controls the satellite it’s tuned to ....and IF the program you want is on that same bird then you should be able to record something else on the second Wally.
Yes I have a pathway x2 as my backup and also a travler as my primary so I’m not guessing on this
Old 10-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Unfortunately that’s not the way it works. One Wally - one tuner with the portable dish even if the channels are on the same satellite. It REQUIRES a full face dish to activate the two tuners in a wally
I haven’t done this but If you have two wallys and a dual output dish ( the pathway x2 is ) then the main Wally controls the satellite it’s tuned to ....and IF the program you want is on that same bird then you should be able to record something else on the second Wally.
Yes I have a pathway x2 as my backup and also a travler as my primary so I’m not guessing on this
As I said i was just guessing. Too bad you didn't explain it in detail in your earlier post and I wouldn't have bothered posting.
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
To get true multiple satellite reception with multiple tuners, you need a conventional ground mounted antenna or the Winegard Traveler on the roof. Of course if you expect to watch a program on one satellite and record from a different satellite, you can use two independent antennas like the Pathway, but that is much $$$$ as well.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:35 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
By posting this second post you have answered my question. Your first post did not make it clear that you had actual experience with the question.We have the Traveler and a Wally and was considering a Pathway X2 for a backup antenna when parked where the Traveler is blocked. We were hoping since the Pathway is advertised as having an 18 inch dish it would operate the Wally the same as the Traveler. Since that is not the case I doubt spending the extra money for the Pathway X2 is wise. The Playmaker is cheaper and uses less space to store and would not be used frequently. We traveled for about 11 years with the Traveler on DirectTV and 95 % of the time the antenna was able to lock in on the birds. We carried a tripod and portable Slimline dish for years and never used it because of the hassle. Most of the time when we had a blocked dish it was only for 1 or 2 nights and just lived with it. We have now converted to Dish and canned DirectTV.

Bob
Old 10-31-2019, 08:01 AM   #11

Don't forget the over-the-air option of the Wally.

You can record OTA at the same time as recording satellite and also be watching something previously recorded if you have the DVR option enabled.

There are dual OTA adapters so (guessing) you could record 2 OTA and Satellite at the same time.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:07 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
By posting this second post you have answered my question. Your first post did not make it clear that you had actual experience with the question.We have the Traveler and a Wally and was considering a Pathway X2 for a backup antenna when parked where the Traveler is blocked. We were hoping since the Pathway is advertised as having an 18 inch dish it would operate the Wally the same as the Traveler. Since that is not the case I doubt spending the extra money for the Pathway X2 is wise. The Playmaker is cheaper and uses less space to store and would not be used frequently. We traveled for about 11 years with the Traveler on DirectTV and 95 % of the time the antenna was able to lock in on the birds. We carried a tripod and portable Slimline dish for years and never used it because of the hassle. Most of the time when we had a blocked dish it was only for 1 or 2 nights and just lived with it. We have now converted to Dish and canned DirectTV.

Bob
You hadn't gotten a response in 24 hours and I was typing on a phone and needed to move on , so I made my answer brief just to give you a answer. Sorry , I guess I had to provide credentials , but that's the way the forum is :( .
What you describe as youruse plan is what we do. We selected and have the pathway because it also will do the full Dish eastern satellites. Also I bought it used with a tuner from a guy for 250$ ( which I sold for 40$ so 210 net ) At the time it was one of the few to do Eastern. It also has better reception (rain fade) because of the larger reflector than any other portable. That comes at a size price as it takes up a large amount of bay space. If I had it to do over I'd go smaller dome that can access at least one Ea Sat , save space, and live with more frequent rain fade.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:29 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
You hadn't gotten a response in 24 hours and I was typing on a phone and needed to move on , so I made my answer brief just to give you a answer. Sorry , I guess I had to provide credentials , but that's the way the forum is :( .
What you describe as youruse plan is what we do. We selected and have the pathway because it also will do the full Dish eastern satellites. Also I bought it used with a tuner from a guy for 250$ ( which I sold for 40$ so 210 net ) At the time it was one of the few to do Eastern. It also has better reception (rain fade) because of the larger reflector than any other portable. That comes at a size price as it takes up a large amount of bay space. If I had it to do over I'd go smaller dome that can access at least one Ea Sat , save space, and live with more frequent rain fade.
Good to know that the Pathway will do the Eastern birds.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 11-01-2019, 06:31 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
Don't forget the over-the-air option of the Wally.

You can record OTA at the same time as recording satellite and also be watching something previously recorded if you have the DVR option enabled.

There are dual OTA adapters so (guessing) you could record 2 OTA and Satellite at the same time.
Actually no because the Wally only has two USB ports. I made the mistake of purchasing the OTA adapter, the WiFi adapter, and the external hard drive. Only two can be plugged into the back of the Wally and the hard drive is a must.

Bob