Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Winegard Sat Sys and DISH

Previously, I started a thread in the Fleetwood Owners Forum on this topic but today, it was suggested I move my questions/comments to this forum so here goes: We have a 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 36B. It has two non-HD TVs, one in front and one in the bedroom. We are DISH subscribers at our stick home and have two receivers and DVRs there.

We have a Winegard Satellite on the roof the the RV and a turn and crank inside but so far have not used the Winegard as we have been staying in parks with cable TV at site a majority of the time.

We'd like to be able to get more channels and also get TV reception when dry camping or at a park w/o cable. We don't want to have to unhook and carry one of our two receivers from home with us each time we go RVing. Why - because sadly, we are technologically-challenged, plus we don't want to mess up programs that are scheduled to record while we're gone.

In the Fleetwood Owner's forum I learned that we could successfully use our existing Winegard with DISH - here's one of the recent responses we received:

"Some may prefer more complexity and cost but in my opinion the best and also the highest quality solution for your situation is to get a Dish network VIP211k, a very compact HD receiver, then use it with your existing Winegard dish. It will work perfectly.

I know there are those who are unable to aim a Winegard dish, but I would not assume you cannot learn. It takes only a minute or two once you know what to do if you have parked in a location where you have a view of the satellite location. If you decide to use the VIP211k with the Winegard dish, I could give you very complete instructions as I have used that combination.

With all of the money you save by using the Winegard you already have you could buy several new High definition TVs to take advantage of the High definition satellite signal.

Some may not be aware that nearly all programs are now in HD and on Dish network the HD programming including the local channels is on the 129 satellite. Today I see no reason to ever rotate the dish off the 129 HD satellite. "

This is good info, but with our older, OE TVs we don't get HD.
So what is our best bet? We don't want to have to spend a bundle on some new satellite dish for the roof. We may eventually switch to HD flatscreen TVs but for now, the ones we have work just fine.
-Should we contact our local DISH guy and just get whatever receiver he recommends for the RV and pay the $8.00 a month for it?
-Should we also get a portable DISH and tripod from him for when we can't get a clear satellite view?
-Since we don't have HD TVs, what channel or channel range should we set the Winegard to in order to get the best/most channel reception?
-What do we need to do to get local channels through DISH in the RV?
-Will any of this effect our ability to watch a different channel simultaneously on each of the TVs as we can presently do?

Thanks for your answers.

Jim and Susan
Merlin, OR
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #2

If I were you, I would get your local Dish retailer to supply you with a 311 receiver. It is an old style SD receiver and will work best for your setup.

Yes get a Dish 500 open face antenna setup for times when your dome is blocked.

Local channels are spot beamed based on your address and can be picked up in about a 100 mile radius of that address. Since you don't have a RV pay as you go type account it will be a hassle to change your service address to get the local locals.

Dish SD is sent through the 110 & 119 Sat's. These two will get you just about all Dish SD programming.

If you get your dome working you would need a receiver for each TV and then you can only watch programming on one sat at a time. It can be different channels but must be on the same sat.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #3

Meant2shop,
we too have an older rv with a Winegard 18inch dish. I have changed the LNB to a two feed which connects to our Directv DVR. We have have using this setup for four years. In addition I added a Winegard elevation panel inside of the coach. This was purchased from Camping World. With the elevation set, it is very easy to get the azimuth by rotating the dish to the proper compass settings. The Directv receiver provides the power levels for the finding the max reception needed.
I also feed the bedroom tv via a signal splitter(this comes off the Winegard dish number 2 feed) which is connected to a second regular Directv receiver. We can then tune to different programs on the upfront tv and the rear tv. The DVR records programs that we find interesting.
Camping World has the necessary cable and connectors to complete a system.
Good luck.
For five years we have not been without Directv while traveling 50,000 miles in the "Good Old USA".
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The problem with the crank-up dish is that it has one LNB, so it can only connect to one satellite at a time. Dish uses three satellites (assuming HD). Most of the national channels are on 119, so you would get quite a few channels if you only used that satellite. Since you have SD TVs, you don't need to worry about getting satellite 129. To see the channels you'd get on 119, go here, click on 119 and the "generate" button.

To get more channels, you'd need an automatic dish or an open face dish with a tripod. The options would be the tripod, a carryout or replacing the crank-up with a dome or something like the Winegard Trav'ler. The domes (carry-out or roof mounted) will move to the correct as you change channels.

Regardless of which dish you use, remember to run "check dish" after aiming. With the remote, press "menu - 6 - 1 - 1" and select the "check dish" option. That will setup your guide to show only the channels available on the satellite(s) you're receiving.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2shop View Post
Previously, I started a thread in the Fleetwood Owners Forum on this topic but today, it was suggested I move my questions/comments to this forum so here goes: We have a 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 36B. It has two non-HD TVs, one in front and one in the bedroom. We are DISH subscribers at our stick home and have two receivers and DVRs there.

We have a Winegard Satellite on the roof the the RV and a turn and crank inside but so far have not used the Winegard as we have been staying in parks with cable TV at site a majority of the time.

We'd like to be able to get more channels and also get TV reception when dry camping or at a park w/o cable. We don't want to have to unhook and carry one of our two receivers from home with us each time we go RVing. Why - because sadly, we are technologically-challenged, plus we don't want to mess up programs that are scheduled to record while we're gone.

In the Fleetwood Owner's forum I learned that we could successfully use our existing Winegard with DISH - here's one of the recent responses we received:

"Some may prefer more complexity and cost but in my opinion the best and also the highest quality solution for your situation is to get a Dish network VIP211k, a very compact HD receiver, then use it with your existing Winegard dish. It will work perfectly.

I know there are those who are unable to aim a Winegard dish, but I would not assume you cannot learn. It takes only a minute or two once you know what to do if you have parked in a location where you have a view of the satellite location. If you decide to use the VIP211k with the Winegard dish, I could give you very complete instructions as I have used that combination.

With all of the money you save by using the Winegard you already have you could buy several new High definition TVs to take advantage of the High definition satellite signal.

Some may not be aware that nearly all programs are now in HD and on Dish network the HD programming including the local channels is on the 129 satellite. Today I see no reason to ever rotate the dish off the 129 HD satellite. "

So what is our best bet? We don't want to have to spend a bundle on some new satellite dish for the roof. We may eventually switch to HD flatscreen TVs but for now, the ones we have work just fine.
-Should we contact our local DISH guy and just get whatever receiver he recommends for the RV and pay the $8.00 a month for it?
-Should we also get a portable DISH and tripod from him for when we can't get a clear satellite view?
-Since we don't have HD TVs, what channel or channel range should we set the Winegard to in order to get the best/most channel reception?
-Will any of this effect our ability to watch a different channel simultaneously on each of the TVs as we can presently do?

Thanks for your answers.

Jim and Susan
Merlin, OR
All of the previous posts are correct, but his is why I believe changing only one thing, getting a vip211k HD receiver, is the simplest and accomplishes your goals. The vip211k receives all HD and SD satellites. It also has an ASTC tuner for OTA digital and an NTSC tuner for OTA analog to handle the locals using the batwing antenna you already have.

Since the vip211k has an HDMI output it will drive current HD TVs. Since it has a modulator output it will drive legacy TVS and legacy VCRs and legacy distribution 75ohm switcher box systems in MHs.

If you want to watch two satellite programs simultaneously (on the same satellite) you need two tuners such as the VIP722 DVR. (Be careful not to leave the DVR on when you drive because it will ruin the Hard Disk Drive.)

Since switching satellites is inconvenient on a manual dish I prefer to use only one satellite. I prefer to use only the 129 satellite because (as opposed to 10 years ago) 129 has the most channels and has every single channel I watch regularly including the locals. Channels will be in NTSC quality if you use the VIP122k modulator with legacy TVs and your switcher box. Channels will be in HD when you use HDMI directly connected to newer TVs.

Like many on this group I previously used the 119 satellite but now that the 129 satellite has more channels and HD as well, I use it. I found the attached list of the hundreds of dish network channels on the 129 satellite. Take a look at it and see if you subscribe to any channels not on this list. I did not and since I wanted HD anyway, the decision was easy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf http dishuser.org 129list.pdf (1.53 MB, 91 views)
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Winegard Sat Sys and DISH

Marvel and others - thank you for all this info.

For Marvel - just a couple more questions. Thank you for the DISH Sat position/channel list -very helpful. You're right, it has all the channels we frequently watch.

Do we pay monthly for the VIP211k Receivers/VIP722 DVRs or can we contact DISH and ask them turn it on and off and pay only for the months when we use the RV?

- Would we also need to get the VIP122k modulator for our OE TVs that are not HD? (I'll have to see if we already have this piece of equipment because I know we do have a "switcher box" for the front and back TVs and for switching from VCR to DVD players, etc.)

Do you recommend we also get the portable dish with the tripod to enhance reception? If so, what does the cable connect to and where is best point of entry/connection?

Will we be able to get local channels if we go this route, or is there something more we'd have to do to get this feature if staying for an extended time somewhere? By "local channels" do you mean the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS and Fox)?

Thank you again,

Jim and Susan
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2shop View Post
Marvel and others - thank you for all this info.

For Marvel - just a couple more questions. Thank you for the DISH Sat position/channel list -very helpful. You're right, it has all the channels we frequently watch.

"Do we pay monthly for the VIP211k Receivers/VIP722 DVRs or can we contact DISH and ask them turn it on and off and pay only for the months when we use the RV? "

Question for Dish. I have mine all year but I understand the VIP211k is the reciever they recommend for RVs because it is very small and has no HDD unless you add your own for a $40 one time fee.

- Would we also need to get the VIP122k modulator for our OE TVs that are not HD? (I'll have to see if we already have this piece of equipment because I know we do have a "switcher box" for the front and back TVs and for switching from VCR to DVD players, etc.)

You would have everything you need. The modulator is built into the VIP211k. Some refer to this modulator as a ch3/4 out, but the built in modulator can be set to any channel. For example mine is set to CH62.

Do you recommend we also get the portable dish with the tripod to enhance reception? If so, what does the cable connect to and where is best point of entry/connection?

I do not think a portable dish is likely to improve reception in your area. I see you live in an area with the tallest trees in the entire world. If you park next to a grove of giant Sequoias putting a dish on the ground is not likely to help. I used a compass for years with success but the really nifty thing I use now is the "DISH FOR MY RV" ap for my iphone. It uses the iphone's camera, GPS and Compass. It draws the sattelites on top of the picture you view on the camera. If you see the satellites drawn below the tree line or on a mountain you know the spot will not work.

Will we be able to get local channels if we go this route, or is there something more we'd have to do to get this feature if staying for an extended time somewhere? By "local channels" do you mean the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS and Fox)?

You can always get the locals in the area you are actually parked in by connecting the rooftop Winegard UHF/VHF antenna to the VIP722k antenna input and scanning for over the air channels. Just be sure to turn the Winegard antenna amplifier on. In the boondocks there may be only a few channels but I have been in areas with as many as 50 using the rooftop Winegard. If Dish does not have locals in your area you can get the West coast network stations which extend across much of the country.

Thank you again,

Jim and Susan
I inserted comments
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2shop

Thanks for your answers
Jim and Susan
Merlin, OR
I am not sure what I am doing wrong. My goal was satellite hd reception on all of the hd tvs in the coach. I just replaced my KVH r5 system with a winegard sk-1000 and 3 - 211k dish network receivers , as soon as the installers left . I realized that on each of the hd tvs that I was only receiving 480 readout on the tvs, all of the tvs receive 1080i signal from the batwing. What am I missing? Assistance would be greatly appreciated .
Richard
Argyle, Texas
queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by queso View Post
I am not sure what I am doing wrong. My goal was satellite hd reception on all of the hd tvs in the coach. I just replaced my KVH r5 system with a winegard sk-1000 and 3 - 211k dish network receivers , as soon as the installers left . I realized that on each of the hd tvs that I was only receiving 480 readout on the tvs, all of the tvs receive 1080i signal from the batwing. What am I missing? Assistance would be greatly appreciated .
Richard
Argyle, Texas

How are your 211K receivers hooked up to your TVs? To receive HD signals they MUST be hooked up by either HDMI or Component ( R,G,B ) cables. If they are hooked up via the normal RG6 coax you will only get SD resolution. The 211K receiver will only output HD through HDMI or Component connections.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by queso View Post
I am not sure what I am doing wrong. My goal was satellite hd reception on all of the hd tvs in the coach. I just replaced my KVH r5 system with a winegard sk-1000 and 3 - 211k dish network receivers , as soon as the installers left . I realized that on each of the hd tvs that I was only receiving 480 readout on the tvs, all of the tvs receive 1080i signal from the batwing. What am I missing?
You can only run two of your three VIP211k receivers directly off of the Winegard Travler SK1000.

You might want to ask them for a wiring diagram on how they hooked your stuff up.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
You can only run two of your three VIP211k receivers directly off of the Winegard Travler SK1000.

You might want to ask them for a wiring diagram on how they hooked your stuff up.
This is wrong info! - from wineguard site - Which traveller is right for you states- 3 receivers

TRAV'LER Automatic Multi-Satellite HDTV Antennas - Winegard
Don/Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Why not just use a receiver from your home while traveling and replace on your return.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #13

Dueling Docs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don/Lou View Post
This is wrong info! - from wineguard site - Which traveller is right for you states- 3 receivers

TRAV'LER Automatic Multi-Satellite HDTV Antennas - Winegard
Mmmm . . . I think you're right, but look at page 5 of these new install instructions on the Winegard site:
http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload...stallation.pdf

They only show 2 receivers connected.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #14

My ins show;FIGURE 5
OVERALL INSTALLATION DRAWING
For best results, use TV 1 for the receiver that will be most active.
POWER SUPPLY
A POWER
IDU
B
C
ENTRY PLATE
TV 1
RECEIVER
RECEIVER
TV 3
RECEIVER
TV 2