Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2023, 12:32 AM   #1

Winegard- Shaw direct not locking on to signal again!!

After the upgrades required to get our dish to lock on to signal in 2019 at a cost of $1200.00, I am amazed that in less than 3 years Shaw has done it again! I called Shaw and they said Its not their problem and to contact Winegard. So I contacted Winegard and they advised me that it was indeed Shaw's fault Maintenance performed Nov 29th 2022 that decommissioned and realigned their Satellite that the Winegard Trav'ler 7003 used to lock on to the Shaw signal! Winegard said that a fix has been developed and released April 10th. and is available for $469.00 US. funds plus shipping and Installation. I've also been advised that the Shaw signal will no longer be available south of Portland.
We have been snowbirds since 2014 and enjoyed the Shaw signal as far south as Mexico. I guess that party is over! I cannot justify another $800.00-$1000.00 CDN funds to upgrade my system and not have it work down south, we will have to rely on Rabbit ears and internet streaming.
Or subscribe to dish or direct tv, but that means a new sat system as the trav'ler is Shaw specific. and dish won't sell to Canadians in any event.
Milom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2023, 09:03 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Fred403 Send a message via Yahoo to Fred403
I agree Shaw Satellite has been been very disapointing and expensive, it may be time to switch to Starlink. I dont know what to do with our satellite system it cost over $5,000 to get it working. Who would you complain to Shaw, Rogers or Winegard
Fred403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:14 AM   #3

Glad I gave up on SD several years ago when my dish started acting up!

The monthly charges were going thru the roof for the service you got !
Old 06-04-2023, 09:29 AM   #4

I went to rabbit ears in 2003 at my house. Never looked back, when a movie comes out I know I'll see it on broadcast tv sooner or later so nothing out of pocket there either. It's just fill in noise for me. This forum provides far more interesting entertainment than tv ever did.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:43 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Shaw vs starlink

I cancelled Shaw dish a couple of months ago and got starlink. We travel South a lot and needed something that works down south. So far the SL is working excellent. The issue now is which apps do I subscribe to for TV. I signed up for APTV, Stack TV and prime. Somehow I have Paramount but do not remember signing up for it. I cancelled the Netflix since the APTV and others had all the movies I needed. Monthly fee for SL roam is just under $200cdn. But having the full time fast internet makes it. FaceTime calls to grandkids etc and this now seems like a no brainer. We are about to embark on a trip to ontario then south to mexico in the fall so we will see how it works. I got a 150ft cable so I can reach out if needed to get a clear view of the sky. A also purchased the flag pole buddy ($200+) but really think just having the basic stand that comes with it would be all that is needed. Time will tell. I am very happy at this point I made the switch but who knows what SL has in store for the future. As a bonus I purchased 3 cameras that connect to the SL wifi and are motion activated giving me a sense of security while camping. My wifi name used is RCMP surveillance Van.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:54 AM   #6

All electronic services ( cell phone , satellite , computers etc ) have planned obsolescence, it's how these companies continue to make their money .

Have you read about all the features the iPhone 42 has for only $4400.00
Old 06-17-2023, 06:54 PM   #7

Shaw direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred403 View Post
I agree Shaw Satellite has been been very disapointing and expensive, it may be time to switch to Starlink. I dont know what to do with our satellite system it cost over $5,000 to get it working. Who would you complain to Shaw, Rogers or Winegard
For those of you with the Winegard SK-7003 Shaw Trav’ler system and and it won’t lock on to the satellite you need to have your software updated and if you are in the Red Deer, AB area please e-mail @ r_dwalton@telus.net and I can arrange to update it for you. The other option is to call Winegard and order the update. It is appx $300.00US.
Bob Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 01:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milom View Post
After the upgrades required to get our dish to lock on to signal in 2019 at a cost of $1200.00, I am amazed that in less than 3 years Shaw has done it again! I called Shaw and they said Its not their problem and to contact Winegard. So I contacted Winegard and they advised me that it was indeed Shaw's fault Maintenance performed Nov 29th 2022 that decommissioned and realigned their Satellite that the Winegard Trav'ler 7003 used to lock on to the Shaw signal! Winegard said that a fix has been developed and released April 10th. and is available for $469.00 US. funds plus shipping and Installation. I've also been advised that the Shaw signal will no longer be available south of Portland.
We have been snowbirds since 2014 and enjoyed the Shaw signal as far south as Mexico. I guess that party is over! I cannot justify another $800.00-$1000.00 CDN funds to upgrade my system and not have it work down south, we will have to rely on Rabbit ears and internet streaming.
Or subscribe to dish or direct tv, but that means a new sat system as the trav'ler is Shaw specific. and dish won't sell to Canadians in any event.
New control box from winegard worked for me and I could put old controller box back in and think I can use new one to help other rvers with same problem I am in southern Ontario
campalot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 10:38 PM   #9

I’ve been reprogramming people all summer with the new box.
Old 10-07-2023, 05:50 PM   #10

I am no longer in the red deer area but have headed south for the winter.
Old 10-08-2023, 08:42 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Fred403 Send a message via Yahoo to Fred403
Shaw Direct

Let us know how far south you can go and still get a signal with the new upgrade from Winegard
Fred403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 11:45 AM   #12

Shaw

This is a response that I just received from Shaw

Hello Bob,
Thank you again for reaching out.
IIf your services work in the US, that's great. If they continue to work for you, that's even more awesome. At this time, we're not aware of any blocks to services in the US since it is strictly a Canadian service.
Regards!
Old 10-13-2023, 03:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by campalot51 View Post
New control box from winegard worked for me and I could put old controller box back in and think I can use new one to help other rvers with same problem I am in southern Ontario
Hey. I just finally figured out why my satellite has not been locking on. Think you can help program my traveler box? I’m located in Kingston, ON
Andred1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 01:48 PM   #14

Shaw/winegard update

I have the box to program Winegard traveler satellite dish for Shaw, I am in Sutton Ont. email me @ dales4trans@rogers.com
Dales4trans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winegard