Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #1

winegard stationary DSS antena

Can anyone explain to my the best way to be able to record TV since my satellite does not allow use of a Directv HD-DVR. I am trying to avoid the cost of changing to a Winegard Slimline Traveller. I have a new 2013 Bounder 35K
mavigneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavigneri View Post
Can anyone explain to my the best way to be able to record TV since my satellite does not allow use of a Directv HD-DVR. I am trying to avoid the cost of changing to a Winegard Slimline Traveller. I have a new 2013 Bounder 35K
What do you mean that your "satellite doesn't allow use of a HD-DVR?" Do you mean that your dish isn't HD. If that's the case, you can still use your HD receiver to receive SD signals. If you are talking about your receiver, they will all work with a SD dish but the H25 and HR34 are SWM only.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #3

I have a Directv HD receiver. The dish I have does not allow for HD DVR as I have at home. I am trying to ascertain if I can attach a TiVO for recording instead of upgrading to Slimline. I was told by both my RV deal and DirectV that I cannot attach a DirectV HD DVR to this set up
Old 03-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Please be specific. What receiver (exactly), and what kind of antenna (dish)?

If you have an SD only dish, you can still record with your HD recorder. You'll just be recording the SD channel.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #5

I have a Winegard DSS Stationary Dome Satellite with Directv. This satellite is not HD DvR compatible. I have 2 HD H24 - 700 receivers. is there a non HD DVR that I need? Thanks for your patience
Old 03-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
H-24 (non-DVR) or HR-24 (DVR)?

Is recording in HD a requirement? Because you can record shows from the SD channels with what you have. How many you can record at once will depend on how many outputs your dome antenna has.

To record in SD, go into the Satellite Setup menu and set the dish type to "18in round". Then you probably will also need to set it to only use one tuner.

If you have an SWM system at home, you might also need a B-Band Converter for each satellite feed into the HR-24. I say "might" because I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary if you're only getting the SD feeds from the 101 satellite. They ARE required if you have a non-SWM HD-compatible dish (which you don't).

If you have an SWM system at home, and were to try to add a non-SWM SD-only receiver (such as the R-16 DVR), I'm not sure DirecTV would let you do it. Because their records would show you have an SWM antenna, and they might not activate a non-SWM receiver.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #7

I don't know a lot about domes, except that I once had one and never will again. That being said, I believe that some of the older domes required an interface with the receiver, but yours is a 2013 and I can't imagine it not working with an HR24.

I fact, I use an HR24 from my house (SWM 16) and use it in my MH with my Travler (legacy Slimline 5 HD) and Anser (SD only). There are no issues at all with my setup, so I don't understand why "they" say it won't work. All that I have to do to change is plug in the right numbers during setup.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
I fact, I use an HR24 from my house (SWM 16) and use it in my MH with my Travler (legacy Slimline 5 HD) and Anser (SD only). There are no issues at all with my setup, so I don't understand why "they" say it won't work. All that I have to do to change is plug in the right numbers during setup.
If it was an HR-34 DVR or H-25 receiver, "they" would be right. Those are SWM-only units, and won't work with a non-SWM dish.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
If it was an HR-34 DVR or H-25 receiver, "they" would be right. Those are SWM-only units, and won't work with a non-SWM dish.
Actually "they" are still wrong. Those dishes will work just fine with the addition of a SWM multiswitch, but it doesn't really affect the OP because his receiver will work either way.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Actually "they" are still wrong. Those dishes will work just fine with the addition of a SWM multiswitch, but it doesn't really affect the OP because his receiver will work either way.
Umm. You can't put an SWM-8 (I assume that's what you meant) on a dome with only one output. Which is what the OP thought he would have. So for that case, a dome antenna, "they" could have been right.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #11

The OP says it's a Winegard. Every dome on their website supports 2 receivers/tuners. So once again I guess that we have the old issue of a salesmans lips moving.

I think that he's "good to go" with what he has and doesn't need to add anything, although I'm sure that his dealer could probably find something that he "needs".
Old 03-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavigneri View Post
No dome satellite dish will receive HD signals via DirecTV.

The open dish Traveler will receive HD signals via DirecTV.

Call Winegard support for the specifics on what receiver will work with your specific dish, whether you need a SWM switch, etc. Their support is very good.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #13

Thanks all for your input. Pusherman, you are 100% correct. Domes do not support HD for DirectV. Since this MH has 4 TVs (yes, overkill, I would have made do with 2) the Dome only has 2 outputs and in order to record It would need to have a min of 4. After a lengthy conversation with the dealer they agreed to switch out the dome for the slimline traveller for $400.00 including trade out for 2 HD DVRs. I am satisfied and so thankful to he members of this forum.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #14

That's the best $400 you're likely to spend on the coach anytime soon

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote