Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The Trav'ler SK SWM3 is for DirecTV - not Dish.
The SK-SWM3 can be modified for Dish, but I've read that costs about $300.
The Trav'ler for Dish is the SK-1000.
See: RV Antenna - Winegard Roof Mounted RV Satellite Antennas

So, when you say it was working in Bushnell - was that with your receiver or the installers?

Best luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
With the installer. PRECISE SATELLITE AND RV ELECTRONIC WAS THE INSTALLER
I'm no expert, but this sounds like it is your issue. No amount of tech support by phone will enable the SW SKM3 to work on your Dish receiver, unless you change the LNB's (the nodes on the end of the arm) and some other stuff.

For a Dish Network receiver, you should have obtained the SK-1000 version of the Trav'ler. Dish uses different SAT's in different locations above the earth - and uses different carrier signals.

Hope I'm wrong. Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #16

Quote:
I'm no expert, but this sounds like it is your issue. No amount of tech support by phone will enable the SW SKM3 to work on your Dish receiver, unless you change the LNB's (the nodes on the end of the arm) and some other stuff.

For a Dish Network receiver, you should have obtained the SK-1000 version of the Trav'ler. Dish uses different SAT's in different locations above the earth - and uses different carrier signals.

Hope I'm wrong. Best luck
I have DIRECT
Railroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry to misunderstand.
Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Sorry to misunderstand.
Best luck
Like I said before I cannot find a tech that will come to my coach and work on it. I am in South Florida
Old 12-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #19

KZ RV Club
I have an older traveler with an added swm. I had similar issues on and off for several months until it finally would not work at all. I called direct TV until I got them to send someone out. When he tested my setup the power supply was the wrong voltage, and my receiver/VCR had died. I suggest that you just keep calling direct until they agree to help.

Jerry
JerrySat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrysat View Post
i have an older traveler with an added swm. I had similar issues on and off for several months until it finally would not work at all. I called direct tv until i got them to send someone out. When he tested my setup the power supply was the wrong voltage, and my receiver/vcr had died. I suggest that you just keep calling direct until they agree to help.

Jerry
thanks, i will call them.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:08 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Next time unplug the receiver from 120V while it is locked on before traveling.
At your destination have the dish lock on to signal first. Then plug the receiver back to 120V.

I have found my Genie is much happier that way with my SWM Trav'ler.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:17 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
As a previous post said, are you using DirectTV or Dish? I have a Travlr that was factory installed in my Entegra and I retrofitted it to Dish. If the Travlr control box is not reconfigured to the correct service you will get a communication error. I also had to remove the inline SWM power injector from the antenna feed to make my communication error go away.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
As a previous post said, are you using DirectTV or Dish? I have a Travlr that was factory installed in my Entegra and I retrofitted it to Dish. If the Travlr control box is not reconfigured to the correct service you will get a communication error. I also had to remove the inline SWM power injector from the antenna feed to make my communication error go away.
Direct TV is going to come out to our park Friday, I guess they are going to solve my problem. They seem to know what is going on. I hope. This has been a pain in you know what.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #24

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Direct TV is going to come out to our park Friday, I guess they are going to solve my problem. They seem to know what is going on. I hope. This has been a pain in you know what.
Railroader,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm assuming that tech support couldn't help you because you aren't able to get on the roof - which is completely understandable. DirecTV may be able to help, but we've always been told by DirecTV that their techs/installers are NOT allowed in or on RV's and don't touch the setups. We have Winegard Certified RV dealerships scattered across America that have been trained by us on Winegard products/installations. if you will supply me with your zip code, I would gladly give you a list of nearby local dealerships that you can take your RV into and have them do troubleshooting themselves, or they would call into our dealer only line for assistance from us. Feel free to let me know! Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience.
Winegard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegard1 View Post
Railroader,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm assuming that tech support couldn't help you because you aren't able to get on the roof - which is completely understandable. DirecTV may be able to help, but we've always been told by DirecTV that their techs/installers are NOT allowed in or on RV's and don't touch the setups. We have Winegard Certified RV dealerships scattered across America that have been trained by us on Winegard products/installations. if you will supply me with your zip code, I would gladly give you a list of nearby local dealerships that you can take your RV into and have them do troubleshooting themselves, or they would call into our dealer only line for assistance from us. Feel free to let me know! Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience.
We are at zip code 33471 will be after jan 1st 33177 for 2 months

Thank You
Old 12-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #26

Commercial Member

Antenna Master
12944 S.W. 113th Court
Miami, FL 33176
Phone: 305-271-4380

RV Master, Inc
10715 SW 190th St Ste 27
Cutler Ridge, FL 33157
Phone: 954-496-4787
Fax: 954-212-2315
www.rvmaster.org

Both of these businesses have been Winegard trained and know how to do installations. You could call them and take your RV into them and see if they can set up a repair for you.
Winegard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:05 PM   #27

Railroader, you're starting to scare me even more than I already am. I've been using an older D10 Direct TV receiver with an 18" Winegard roof crank up dish and a Winegard Carryout Dome for several years with excellent results.
In a couple of months i have a new coach arriving (supposedly anyway) that will have the Traveler factory mounted on the roof and hoping I can still use the Carryout Dome, but have no idea what I am going to use for the receiver. Getting lots of great advice from Winegard and this Forum but like you, at 78 years old this all is making my gray hair fall out even more than it has been.
I'd like to have either the Genie or HD DVR receiver so I can record some programs but have been told the Genie isn't going to happen since I want to use the Carryout Dome when under trees. And I was hoping to be able to get things set up on my current coach so it would be an easy transfer to the new coach but I don't think that can happen either.

Good luck on getting your problem fixed. i'm sure it's giving you many sleepless restless nights thinking about this problem.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:07 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Railroader, you're starting to scare me even more than I already am. I've been using an older D10 Direct TV receiver with an 18" Winegard roof crank up dish and a Winegard Carryout Dome for several years with excellent results.
In a couple of months i have a new coach arriving (supposedly anyway) that will have the Traveler factory mounted on the roof and hoping I can still use the Carryout Dome, but have no idea what I am going to use for the receiver. Getting lots of great advice from Winegard and this Forum but like you, at 78 years old this all is making my gray hair fall out even more than it has been.
I'd like to have either the Genie or HD DVR receiver so I can record some programs but have been told the Genie isn't going to happen since I want to use the Carryout Dome when under trees. And I was hoping to be able to get things set up on my current coach so it would be an easy transfer to the new coach but I don't think that can happen either.

Good luck on getting your problem fixed. i'm sure it's giving you many sleepless restless nights thinking about this problem.
There are literally hundreds of posts on this forum about travelers. By far easily high 90 per cent of them are about how good they work and very few about troubles with them. This is a rare post on the forum about one not working. I would not be worried about your new unit with the traveler.
One of the things you will find is that the traveler will be a bit more able to handle less than perfect weather or overhead conditions than the dome dishes. If you need something for a carryout. Get a standard direct dish on a tripod. It will be more trouble to set up but will allow you to use your genie with no problem.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote