Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Winegard Trav'ler question...

This is a SK3003, DirecTV triple feed, new in 2011. Antenna did not lock in at campground last week. Trees in the way I think. Came home and tried again. Lots of big trees to the SE. No dice.

Went to an open space with good view to the SE. Looked promising...antenna stopped for awhile and then started moving in small increments. After 15 minutes or so it went into search mode...around and around.

My bad...I was not inside looking at the display. Talked to a local tech who advised DirecTV did something to satellite 119, maybe discontinued...and that is why our antenna is constantly searching and cannot lock in.

Tech said it could take a half-hour of searching to finally lock in...and every time we move locations...it will take a half hour, or so.

Anyone know about this problem ? Tech said a firmware fix would help.

TIA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #2

You got a dead Travler. Check and replace the short coax between the base and lnb. There is also a short coax under the base that fails.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Hi Scooter,

It would be helpful to know any coides that the control box gives during the search. Also, can you let me know what general zip codes you have searched from? You can PM me if needed. Lastly, what did the antenna end up doing if it was unable to lock to signal?
winegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:30 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Winegard, thanks for your reply. I was out side watching the antenna and did not look at the box readout. I was in 97532 zip. After about 20 minutes of pause and more micro movements...it starting going around like a merry-go-round.

Tomorrow, I will try in my driveway again....maybe the big trees to the SW are not the problem. I will watch and notate the box readout. Tech said to look for an * over sat 101.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Hi Winegard, thanks for your reply. I was out side watching the antenna and did not look at the box readout. I was in 97532 zip. After about 20 minutes of pause and more micro movements...it starting going around like a merry-go-round.

Tomorrow, I will try in my driveway again....maybe the big trees to the SW are not the problem. I will watch and notate the box readout. Tech said to look for an * over sat 101.
Scooter,

You are going to be aiming to the southeast - 101 lies at about 148-149 degrees, so slightly SE/S.

It will be worthwhile to see what information that the IDU provides during the search. We want to verify it is in the correct mode (indicated by showing SM DIRECTV Triple) and if it peaks or identifies any satellites during the search. It will attempt to do this when you hear the antenna making small adjustments up top, if you are able to hear it.

Do you happen to know if this unit was installed by the manufacturer as the coach was built or if it was an aftermarket installation?
Old 06-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi again, Winegard. It was pointing SE, I inadvertently wrote SW. It was installed by a RV dealer in 2011.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #7

I often see references to replacing the short coax cables. Is there a place to buy them? Thanks.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #8

We discovered on our last road trip, that if we leave the Direct TV box off until the Weingard finds the satellite, everything works great (unless there are in fact, trees in the way)! Fingers cross!
Old 06-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have found the same issue. All my entertainment equipment is powered by my inverter. This means they are always on. It took me almost a year to figure out why my Traveler would interminably not lock on. I discovered that if I unplugged the Winegard control box, the power supply inserter, and the satellite receiver. Then plug back in the control box and power inserter. Then I power up the control box and let it find the three satellites. After it lock on I power up the receiver and it works all the time. My system is a SWM unit and I believe it has something to do with the channels assigned to the tuners. When we stow the system powered up it gets confused when it is redeployed.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #10

AZ Motor Fault

Wineguard traveler has worked fine for over a year. moved locations yesterday, powered on dish, after time it stopped moving and I have an "AZ motor fault". after two hours finally got through to WG tech support, they say that the "turret" must be replaced. Has anyone done this? is it a difficult process? I have installed dish antennas on several of my coaches, but never actually opened one up to work on it. thanks
Old 06-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi again, Mr. Winegard.......I ran the antenna for 33 minutes today. Initial read out was "SM DTV Triple Searching" After 33 minutes of moving up and down, right/left, left right, etc. still nothing on read out....except "SM DTV Triple Searching"

I am pretty sure the tall trees at our house, to the SE is the problem.

Going to local RV dealer on Monday who has an open space to SE and he has some Winegard experience....and will check things out.

Will let you know what transpires...and thanks for your help.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Hi again, Mr. Winegard.......I ran the antenna for 33 minutes today. Initial read out was "SM DTV Triple Searching" After 33 minutes of moving up and down, right/left, left right, etc. still nothing on read out....except "SM DTV Triple Searching"

I am pretty sure the tall trees at our house, to the SE is the problem.

Going to local RV dealer on Monday who has an open space to SE and he has some Winegard experience....and will check things out.

Will let you know what transpires...and thanks for your help.
Scooter,

Please keep up posted. I feel based on what you've said right now, an obstruction would make sense - if our system makes the small movements, our LNB is picking up enough signal to think that there's something there. It will attempt to peak it is as much as possible to identify, and this could be a partially obstructed signal that we are unable to identify with complete accuracy.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi again Winegard.......RV dealer got to his open space and tried it out. Worked great.....up to a point. Signal strength was in 90's and DirecTV receiver tested out OK.
He got music from the 800 series channels on DirecTV. His notes: "Found that dish starting to 'peak signal' then dropping off and starting new search. Signal strength strong with up to 98 and then drops off. Appears to be an issue with the satellite dish itself"

Sorry to relate, like me, he did not note the readings on the Winegard receiver.

So....turrett, coax cable, LNB's or.....?

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Hi again Winegard.......RV dealer got to his open space and tried it out. Worked great.....up to a point. Signal strength was in 90's and DirecTV receiver tested out OK.
He got music from the 800 series channels on DirecTV. His notes: "Found that dish starting to 'peak signal' then dropping off and starting new search. Signal strength strong with up to 98 and then drops off. Appears to be an issue with the satellite dish itself"

Sorry to relate, like me, he did not note the readings on the Winegard receiver.

So....turrett, coax cable, LNB's or.....?

Thanks for any help.
Hi Scooter,

A few things could be happening here, but the most likely explanation is something in the feed/reflector combination is bent.

What I recommend is to put the unit into manual mode to lock only to 101. This can be done through by accessing the user menu (press and hold enter and select on the IDU with it turned on) and accessing the Manual Mode option.

To operate the menu, remember that select moves the asterisk to denote what can be selected and enter confirms it. Ensure the asterisk is next to Manual Mode and press enter to access it, then use select to cycle through the manual options until Manual 101 has the asterisk next to it and then hit enter. It will prompt to confirm and do so. Then the unit will search only to lock in 101 and disregard skewing to add 110/119. If it is able to lock, it virtually confirms either the feed arm or the reflector is bent.

At that point, you could replace one or the other, or both, to resolve. However, given that the unit cannot get DIRECTV HD and DIRECTV broadcasts very little actual programming from 110/119, you could leave it in manual 101 and use the programming from there. It might be worth trying and watching your favorite programs - most, if not all, should be available from 101.