Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #1

Winegard Trav'ler SK3005 DiercTV in the North

We subscribe to DirecTV with HD programming and DNS Service. This past fall I installed a Trav'ler SK3005 and am very pleased with it, however, I found that when traveling to Alaska we lost reception when we got to the point where the 101 satellite elevation approached 15 degrees. An email to Winegard confirmed that the antenna lower elevation limit is 15 degrees.

The depressed satellite elevation combined with mountains preventing us from receiving the 101, 110 and 119 satellites all together and would cause the antenna to search for extended times then stow. Modifying the search pattern to only look for the 101 satellite still would not hold a signal on that satellite (which would have given us Basic Service).

I think I have solved my problems. To get satellites at a lower look angle than 15 degrees I went to the roof, deployed the antenna and then placed a penny in the pinch point where the LNB arm pivots at the base of the dish. A search on only the 101 satellite then easily brought it in. This gave me basic service and more than 50% of my HD channels.

Since the penny will drop out of the pinch point when the antenna shows, I substituted a metal shim bent to a right angle in the pinch point. The shim was held in position with zip ties. Shim thickness was about .060 in., and was made from a galvanized electrical box cover. Although a thicker shim might give me even more depression, it also appears that it would have begun to cause the LNB's to shaddow the dish thereby reducing signal strength.

Once the shim was in place I reset the antenna controller and did a search for all satellites. The controller sucessfully locked on to 101, and 110, but could not see 119 due to a large mountain. Since it could not ID all three satellites, it would have automatically stowed. After about 10 seconds of seeking to ID 119, I shut power off to the controller before the stow program initiated. Low and behold, I now have my full DirecTV subscription without, of course, local channels.

We now are in Valdez, AK, Lat 61.13N, Lon 146.34W and the calculated elevation of 101 is 11.4 degrees. Reception is excellent even in moderate rain. We will try higher latitudes up to Fairbanks later next month.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2009, 06:06 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Just a quick question. How did you determine that a penny would give you the results needed?

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #3

Hope you're familiar with what a WAG is? (a Wild A$$ Guess) (LOL)

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Great post, Pigman I've found WAGS and SWAGS (Scientific Wild A$$ Guess) to work out more times than not when trying to fix things!

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree! Sometimes a WAG is better than a PHD.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote