Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2020, 08:19 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
See if I can renew this thread...

My DirecTV Trav'ler has an Azimuth stall. Upon a power reset (inside the rig), the antenna stowed successfully. Next use: It found the satellite OK, then stowed OK. Next use: Azimuth stall.

What is interesting about the "Azimuth stall"--> The unit would elevate from the stow position, and then begin a clockwise (when viewed from above) azimuth action. At about 20-degrees of clockwise movement, the Az-motor stops. Upon power-off and -on, the unit stores OK. This 20-degree movement is somewhat consistent. It moves the "20" and then stops...yielding the Azimuth stall error code.

Very frustrating and teasing: When the unit is told to stow, the azimuth motor drives the damn thing several full-360-degree turns, then counters the 360-degree turns in the opposite direction. So the azimuth motor is running fine in both directions. Of course, I've checked all connections and they look factory fresh (no weathering; no rusting). So I'm guessing I've got a problem on the control board mounted in the turret...and perhaps whatever sensor the turret uses to "understand" where it is in its rotation cycle. No discussion with Winegard tech support yet.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2020, 06:20 PM   #16

My Winegard Trav'ler is just under 4 years old and last month would not stow (after 3.5 months in same location). Called Winegard and they tried several procedures to get it to stow to no avail. Finally had to manually stow it. Since under 5 years old, Winegard indicates $350 to fix it. Cost $80 to FedEx to get it back to Burlington Iowa. I'd say that the dish has been only up 12 - 15 times since new (we travel 6 months a year and usually stay in the same place during that time). If it goes bad again, I'll go with a tripod dish as spending nearly $450 for 4 years use is a bit much.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:07 PM   #17

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
I just started having an issue with mine. It searches and searches and never stops. It worked fine two days ago, yesterday I went to put it up and walk away. A couple hours later it is still searching. I shut it down manually. Let it cool for a while and tried again same thing. Unplugged the control box and tried again same thing. No error codes just keeps searching. Any ideas of what the problem may be.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:12 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
I just started having an issue with mine. It searches and searches and never stops. It worked fine two days ago, yesterday I went to put it up and walk away. A couple hours later it is still searching. I shut it down manually. Let it cool for a while and tried again same thing. Unplugged the control box and tried again same thing. No error codes just keeps searching. Any ideas of what the problem may be.
Has the dish locked on to the satellites from you current location before? If it has and now does not then I would suspect a broken coax cable inside the turret. If you have never locked on a satellite from this position previously then you need to make sure the dish is not being blocked by trees, etc.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is yours Trav'ler? SWM3?
Point is: The electronics within the turret (rather than your Reciver/DVR) that work to find the satellite(s). When the LNB doesn't "see" any satellite, then this is the reason that no error code is sent to your control box..and thus the antenna keeps searching for hours.

The coax between the turret's "electronics" and the LNB ("head") can be suspect (per above suggestions), but the cable itself (within the turret) seldom breaks or fails. The RF connectors (on the other hand) fail frequently. My problem was simple: the installer did not tighten the F-type connector at the LNB head. I removed the LNB head (two small bolts hold it in place) and found the loose connector. This is a good place to start. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi.1014 View Post
Is yours Trav'ler? SWM3?
Point is: The electronics within the turret (rather than your Reciver/DVR) that work to find the satellite(s). When the LNB doesn't "see" any satellite, then this is the reason that no error code is sent to your control box..and thus the antenna keeps searching for hours.

The coax between the turret's "electronics" and the LNB ("head") can be suspect (per above suggestions), but the cable itself (within the turret) seldom breaks or fails. The RF connectors (on the other hand) fail frequently. My problem was simple: the installer did not tighten the F-type connector at the LNB head. I removed the LNB head (two small bolts hold it in place) and found the loose connector. This is a good place to start. Good luck.

Thanks. I look at the cable and tested it and it showed good. I tightened it but still no luck. Will call Wineguard tomorrow.

Does anyone know how it lines up? Does it have a signal meter built in or does it use a GPS and know where to point. And how long should it keep trying before it will just park itself?
Old 05-17-2020, 09:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Has the dish locked on to the satellites from you current location before? If it has and now does not then I would suspect a broken coax cable inside the turret. If you have never locked on a satellite from this position previously then you need to make sure the dish is not being blocked by trees, etc.

Bob

Hi Bob,

This is a new location and I have a clear view. I tested the cable that goes to LNB and it showed good. Maybe something in the turret. Will call Wineguard and see what they say.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:59 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Bob,

This is a new location and I have a clear view. I tested the cable that goes to LNB and it showed good. Maybe something in the turret. Will call Wineguard and see what they say.
Not sure which era Traveler you have but ours is older and and has four connectors at the top of the turret label A,B,C, and D. There are four coaxes coming from the LNB that connect to those. Three of them go directly to the A,B,C, and D F type connectors at the base of the turret. One of them, and I can't remember which is also connected to the electronics inside the turret. That one is used by the control system to sense the satellites. If the internal cable has a problem the turret must be disassembled to fix it. If it is one of the cables coming from the LNB then you can swap them around at the top of the turret and see if that fixes the problem.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:02 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks. I look at the cable and tested it and it showed good. I tightened it but still no luck. Will call Wineguard tomorrow.

Does anyone know how it lines up? Does it have a signal meter built in or does it use a GPS and know where to point. And how long should it keep trying before it will just park itself?

I do know the winegard does not use gps it’s a random search pattern looking for a satellite signal that it identifies giving it position and then orientates itself to the correct satellites. (the ones it’s programmed to use dish or directv) It then adjust to the highest signal ( skew) for each.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:23 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your... "Does anyone know how it lines up? Does it have a signal meter built in or does it use a GPS and know where to point."

No on the GPS idea. And the dish does not "know" where to point. The dish-system has a search pattern to find the bird(s)...as evidenced that the system circles 360-degrees...and when a faint signal is detected, the elevation motor fine-tunes for the strongest signal. The turret's electronics are indeed the "signal meter" in this regard. I've seen mine keep this up for over an hour.

Tags
ems, problem, problems