Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #1

Wingard RTS-40B & DISH ViP211z

Wow, I am just about ready to pull what little hair I have left out!! LOL!

Never in my life have I been stumped as badly as I have been trying to get SW 64 Installed on my ViP211z.

I've been on and off the phone with DISH network several times over the last three weeks and they have even sent out a replacement box.

All to no avail. All the Wingard RTS-40B will find is Satellite 119. I've gone up on the roof and triple checked that the dip switches are set for DISH and not DirecTV.

I even took the advice of several on this board and took the box back to Camping World and tried to install the SW64 there. Again, nothing. It did install SP34 and could find all 3 satellites (110, 119 and 129) but that is all I could get after trying 3 seperate times to get it.

My next step is to call Wingard tomorrow and see if they can help.

Just curious if anyone here has made it work on their own and if so what steps they took to get SW 64 installed.

Thanks much for any assistance!

Mike
Jalpa_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2015, 06:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalpa_Mike View Post
Wow, I am just about ready to pull what little hair I have left out!! LOL!

Never in my life have I been stumped as badly as I have been trying to get SW 64 Installed on my ViP211z.

I've been on and off the phone with DISH network several times over the last three weeks and they have even sent out a replacement box.

All to no avail. All the Wingard RTS-40B will find is Satellite 119. I've gone up on the roof and triple checked that the dip switches are set for DISH and not DirecTV.

I even took the advice of several on this board and took the box back to Camping World and tried to install the SW64 there. Again, nothing. It did install SP34 and could find all 3 satellites (110, 119 and 129) but that is all I could get after trying 3 seperate times to get it.

My next step is to call Wingard tomorrow and see if they can help.

Just curious if anyone here has made it work on their own and if so what steps they took to get SW 64 installed.

Thanks much for any assistance!

Mike
I just went through the same process a couple weeks ago. I could only get part way through the setup in the motorhome before the system just stopped. It would eventually "time out" and give up. After several hours and three tries I took the 211z into the house, unhooked my VIP 722k and put the 211z in its place. It then proceeded through the initial setup but still did not get my channel lineup. A quick call to Dish to have them add the receiver ID to my home account took care of that. Somewhere along the way ... maybe before calling Dish ... I also did a "Check Switch" in setup to make sure it had landed on SW64 and it had. If you can get to the setup menu, you might try running the "Check Switch" command again.

Many people have had trouble setting up the 211z by using the RTS-40B in the motorhome. It almost seems like the initial setup process needs to switch satellites to complete the process, but since it does not yet have the correct switch installed it does not know how to tell the antenna to do it.

If you have a friend with a regular home Dish setup on the Western satellites, you might call in a favor to see if you can try setup using their home mounted antenna.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
gorwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:42 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips Gary.

Thought I would give you all an update. The good news is that the fine folks Winegard were able to troubleshoot the problem and we are up and running with all 3 satellites (110, 119 and 129) recognized and SW64 installed!!

It turns out the problem was with the cables. Without going into a long diatribe about what the problem was, the Readers Digest version was it appears that in the manufacture of our rig, the cable labeled "Satellite 1" must have been broken or faulty somewhere between the Winegard antenna and the DISH box. So, the folks at Tiffin hooked up the "Satellite 2" cable to the back of the DISH box. The problem is, the "Satellite 2" cable is plugged into Secondary Port of the Winegard (which should only be used when you have a 2nd DISH box). So, when I went up on the roof and moved Cable 2 into MAIN and vice-versa, we ran the setup and INSTANTLY, the Check Switch routine downloaded SW64 and found all 3 satellites.

As Winegard told me today, the only time I'd encounter a problem is if we tried to use a 2nd box and used that cable with a short in it. Well, my wife and I are not big TV watchers and will never have a 2nd box. So, one of these days I may just troubleshoot and see if I can find where the cable is broke or disconnected.

At least we are up and running!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1379.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	100938  
Jalpa_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish