Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2005, 07:24 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
After 7 years of trouble free service with my trusty IBM Pentium-I laptop, I retired it and bought a new Toshiba Satellite M-45 laptop with all the bells and whistles including wireless (but no floppy drive or serial port) :-( Decided I needed to set up a wireless network at home to transfer files, etc. So, went out and bought a Linksys 10/100 EtherFast PCI Adapter for my desktop PC, and Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router. "The All-In-One Wireless-G Networking solution."

Using an Ethernet cable (without the router) have been successful in connecting the laptop and desktop, but have NOT been successful attempting to establish a wireless network. I should state that I am still using a dial-up modem (don't laugh at me) and, according to what I have learned, Linksys Routers only work with external cable or DSL modems featuring Ethernet ports. They do not work with ISDN, satellite connections, dial-up modems or modems featuring USB or RJ-11 connections.

That being the case, I do not need the router for my network (it is currently resting nicely in a box in the closet) but cannot experience the flexibility and portability of wireless connectivity without having a cable or DSL modem. Any advice?
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2005, 07:24 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
After 7 years of trouble free service with my trusty IBM Pentium-I laptop, I retired it and bought a new Toshiba Satellite M-45 laptop with all the bells and whistles including wireless (but no floppy drive or serial port) :-( Decided I needed to set up a wireless network at home to transfer files, etc. So, went out and bought a Linksys 10/100 EtherFast PCI Adapter for my desktop PC, and Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router. "The All-In-One Wireless-G Networking solution."

Using an Ethernet cable (without the router) have been successful in connecting the laptop and desktop, but have NOT been successful attempting to establish a wireless network. I should state that I am still using a dial-up modem (don't laugh at me) and, according to what I have learned, Linksys Routers only work with external cable or DSL modems featuring Ethernet ports. They do not work with ISDN, satellite connections, dial-up modems or modems featuring USB or RJ-11 connections.

That being the case, I do not need the router for my network (it is currently resting nicely in a box in the closet) but cannot experience the flexibility and portability of wireless connectivity without having a cable or DSL modem. Any advice?
Old 10-09-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If you had a cable modem it'd be easy. You'd just plug the cable modem into the router's WAN port and let the router's WAP (Wireless Access Point) share it over wi-fi to the two computers.

However, because you still have dial-up (I'll bet you probably have wooden wheels on your RV too ) you can't do this. However, the WAP can still be used to wirelessly connect your two computers so that you can use Windows Networking to share files and printers.

If you are running Windows 2000 on your desktop you should be able to share your dial-up modem with other computers on the network. You don't have to use cat5 cable to share them over Ethernet. You can use the wi-fi to do that as well. If you are still running Windows 98 on the desktop PC it's tough to get Internet sharing to work. I'd try Win 2000 and then let the wi-fi system share your modem with the laptop.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:56 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
"(I'll bet you probably have wooden wheels on your RV too ) However, the WAP can still be used to wirelessly connect your two computers so that you can use Windows Networking to share files and printers.

If you are running Windows 2000 on your desktop you should be able to share your dial-up modem with other computers on the network. You don't have to use cat5 cable to share them over Ethernet. You can use the wi-fi to do that as well. If you are still running Windows 98 on the desktop PC it's tough to get Internet sharing to work. I'd try Win 2000 and then let the wi-fi system share your modem with the laptop."

Yes, the wheels are wooden, but the varnish is fresh! <G>

I'm running WinXP on both the desktop and the laptop. My logic said that with a NIC in the PC connected to the wireless router, the laptop and PC should "talk". They do with the Ethernet cable connected, no problem. Have used the Wizards often enough that they are becoming as dumb as me!

Maybe I'll just give up and subscribe to DSL.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Once you go to DSL or cable you'll never want to go back to dial-up again. You can also get chrome spinners for those wooden wheels.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:41 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Red T,
If you are only going to connect the 2 computers, you can set the wireless devices to ad-hoc mode and bypass the access point in the router all together. It is like a direct wire connection between the 2 machines. Also for the time being, make sure you have all WEP security turned off as it needs to be set up very specifically in order to allow communications.
As Mark stated, if you have the right OS you can set up a shared modem but it is painfully slow. I did it with Wingate on a Win98 machine which is OK on a wired LAN but was slower than slow with the "b" wireless network that I have here at home.
Good luck
SteveB
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote