Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Wireless internet access

What wireless internet access do full timers use? My home is rural and the only way I can get high speed internet access is to get a wireless phone card. But the cost of going over my 5 gig download limit is a real retiree's budget killer. Short of my wife or me giving up having internet access or going to libraries to pay bills and keep in touch, what does everyone else do.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you tried to contact Hughes Net. Satellite service?
Good Luck
acetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:35 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We use Verizon MiFi all the time. Cost about $60 a month. Has a 5Gig limit but we just use is for email and some surfing and have never came close to going over. And if other WiFi is available when camped we use it. It seems to work good for us.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
We use a Verizon PC 5750 aircard in a Linksys router connected to a Wilson trucker antenna mounted on the batwing. My DW and I both use computers at the same time all month for games, banking and email and have never approached the 5 GB limit. It's worked very well for us and I would do it again the same way. I purchased my aircard from an Ebay vendor so I avoided the 2 year contract with Verizon.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #5

I posted in depth about this in another post, but to summarize...

Get a verizon droid phone with the unlimited data package. They come with "tethering". With a push of a button, your laptop begins using the phone as a WiFI hotspot. I am using this now as I sit out at the beach in my RV. It's as fast as cable internet.

The best part is, you don't need a separate contract, AND the Data plan is unlimited. (You need to hurry though, as Verizon has announced it is going to limit the data and charge more for it in the next month or so). So if you are going to do it, do it right away as there is a 3 week waiting period for the more popular droid Phones. I use the Droid X. I highly recommend it, though most droids can be tethered.

The cost is just $29 a month over your regular cell plan. Plus, you get to use the phone as a handy web surfer when you are away from the laptop. Just today, I needed a new gas cap. While in Wal Mart, and was able to use my phone to go to the mnfctrs website and find the right model number to fit my rig. Very handy. You can also surf while you cruise down the road AND while talking on the phone.

One other bonus to using the Droid phones for your WiFi. It comes with WIRELESS tether. No need to hook up a cable if you don't want to. My GF and I both use my phone's modem on separate laptops while in the RV. I believe the maximum number you can tether at once is 5, so your friends can use your connection to log onto the net also. Makes me VERY popular at the remote locations! You just push the Wireless Tether Button on the phone, and you are on the net.

Now, Verizon tries to charge extra for the wireless tether ($20/mo) but it is not necessary if you are willing to 'root' your phone. Verizon doesn't like it, so don't bother asking a salesperson there. They will sell you a doom n gloom story about how it will ruin your phone. Nonsense. It's what I did, and it has worked great all thru 2010. "Rooting" is a whole nuther topic, and I've written about it in other posts, if you're interested...just search for them. There are simple download programs on the net that will root your phone for you.

Hope that helps. Def stay away from the satellite services. They are too cumbersome, limiting, and expensive compared to Verizon's data plan. ATT just sucks and limits their data plans heavily. It's why Verizon now feels comfortable ending their unlimited plans soon. The key is, get locked into a 2 year unlimited data plan ASAP as they will be changing here very soon. The CEO just announced it last week.

Fortunately, I locked my plan in for 2 more years last month...

Good luck
Wetboy5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Depends on where you go!
With no cell phone service no internet.
Good Luck
acetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
This link will describe the type of activity needed to exceed 5 gigs of monthly usuage. The majority of people will be ok with this amount.
What does 5GB (Gigabytes) Get Me? : EVDOinfo.com
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #8

I agree that the average RV'er out there won't go over 5gig a month, HOWEVER, the major carriers are all about to go to Tiered pricing. You'll probably get more like 2Gig a month for what you are paying now. Then a 5 gig option will be offered for more than $100/mo.

They haven't finalized it yet, but from all the news reports and message boards on the subject, that will be very close to where they will end up in their pricing. This limitation will effect aircards too.

The point I was making above is, if you CAN get unlimited Data contract for two more years, and get it for $29/mo, why wouldn't you?

Just act fast, because I have a feeling 6 months from now, I'm going to see alot of grumbling on this board about the ridiculous cost of getting internet over the phone and people wishing they had locked in the CHEAPER unlimited plans when they were still available.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwingerx2 View Post
We use Verizon MiFi all the time. Cost about $60 a month. Has a 5Gig limit but we just use is for email and some surfing and have never came close to going over. And if other WiFi is available when camped we use it. It seems to work good for us.
That is what we have. But go over and Wham. Last month we had used 6.6 gig the extra 1.6 gig cost us $74.50. I am looking for a plan that has more but can't seem to find one.

I will say that there are currently 3 people here that use the card so it doesn't seem too hard to go over.

It looks like it would be far cheaper to get another card than to go over or buy a pre-paid card.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1BUD View Post
That is what we have. But go over and Wham. Last month we had used 6.6 gig the extra 1.6 gig cost us $74.50. I am looking for a plan that has more but can't seem to find one.

I will say that there are currently 3 people here that use the card so it doesn't seem too hard to go over.

It looks like it would be far cheaper to get another card than to go over or buy a pre-paid card.

I would seriously consider getting a new Android phone, and go with one of the unlimited data plans offered through them. Tethering, or using your phone as a wifi modem for your laptop, is literally just one push of a button on your smartphone.

You never have to worry about going over your minutes, you can still use your phone while on the net, and the phone will be so handy even when you are not near a laptop. But you have to do it soon, as Verizon is about to go to LIMITED data soon, and raise their prices to match ATT. Any of the new Android phones should be able to tether.

The aircard was cutting edge for RV'ers 3 or 4 years ago, but it is simply overpriced, antiquated technology for today. Why pay $60 dollars just for internet access when it is already included in your phone's data plan at half the cost, and twice the functionality? And the reception compared to the aircard is so much better as you can move your phone inside the RV to where it picks up the best signal. The RF from the laptop really cuts down the reception for an aircard...

OH, and when your contract is up, they will be LOWERING your 5 Gig a month to 2 for the same price. If you want the 5 gig option, it will be over $100 dollars/mo. So lock in the unlimited plan now, and at least you'll get the next 2 years at $30/mo. It's a no-brainer.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
need more info.

I like your idea of using the phone to connect to the internet. We don't have a cell plan yet but plan on converting out land line phone to a Verizon cell phone. With the Android phone do we need to do anything special to be able to make it work as a WiFi and use the internet with our laptop? Before you stated about doing to special application to make it work as a WiFi. Any help you can provide would be great because we plan on changing over our phone system this week. We were very close to buying the 5G plan with the air card. If your way works it would be the way we would go. Thanks and I am glad I found this post. John
jadtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I just talked with Verizon. They say I would need a basic phone plan, an unlimited data plan, and a 3g plan to connect my laptop. If there is a way to just buy the phone plan with the unlimited data plan to connect my laptop to the internet that would be great. I am not sure what I would have to do to use the phone this way to be able to connect my laptop to the internet. Please past along any suggestions as how this can be done. Thanks
jadtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
depends on how much u use it but im converting as we speak to boost its a 50 a month plan an you can tether on it we will be using the sprint phone network with a blackberry 9530 tour ! you convert a sprint phone an wala ! im doing 2 now getting out of my contract to boot !
fxdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:10 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
We use the Virgin mobile MiFi hotspot. It is the same as the Verizon MiFi except you get unlimited access for $40 per month, no contract. Runs on Sprint 3g network and roams on Verizon 3g. Just got back from a trip to Ri. and had no issues.

Richard