Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #1

Wireless Magnetic LED Toad Lights

I am going to install the Blue Ox base plate in my 2007 Odyssey soon. The company does have a wiring harness that one can purchase and install, however I am really reluctant to do this on the Honda - it's a nightmare trying to fish the wires under, over and along then up into the rear light housing.

So - I have decided to reach out and locate lights that are magnetically mounted, battery powered, and operate like WiFi.

I know they make them - but was looking for a variety of units available so that I could choose from more than one source.

One source I learned of, from someone, was Pep Boys - however try as I might I have been unable to find that product on their web page.

So - I now have 2 choices, but don't like either one very well, although they would work. The one I am leaning toward is the "Light Bar" mounted on top with the remote transmitter plugging into my 7 pin outlet on rear of my motorhome hitch -

So - if anyone has a better or more varied source(s) I would certainly appreciate them.

Thank you all in advance

God Bless

Bill
Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Regarding wired magnetic lights, my neighbor had a Harbor Freight pair he used on occasion and he was happy with them. They were older though and I see the ones Harbor Freight offers now have mixed customer reviews. There's some on Amazon, PPL, Northern Tool and I'm sure others.

Other than that you could mount auxiliary lights inside the back glass. If you could find the right lights it could be a clean looking installation.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by retmotor View Post
Regarding wired magnetic lights, my neighbor had a Harbor Freight pair he used on occasion and he was happy with them. They were older though and I see the ones Harbor Freight offers now have mixed customer reviews. There's some on Amazon, PPL, Northern Tool and I'm sure others.

Other than that you could mount auxiliary lights inside the back glass. If you could find the right lights it could be a clean looking installation.
Guess you missed the point I was making ------- "Wireless"

I am fully aware of the "Wired" lighting system available (matter of fact I now own a set).

My point is I do not wish to run or tape that wire along the side of my van. Nor do I wish to push, pull, fasten or drill holes to run the wires underneath the van and modify the tail light assembly in order to make them permanent.

That ---- is the point.

Wireless product.

Mount the LED light assemblies on the rear of the van.

Plug in the "Wireless" transmitter to the plug in the rear of the motorhome (in my case I have the 7 pin round outlet like GM has)....... turn transmitter "on" and then know the rear light assemblies will do their work.

Sure - may have to replace batteries once in a while

Beats the work and modifications necessary to install the hard wires.

Wireless --------

God Bless

Bill
Old 05-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #4

Welcome to Wireless Tow Lights, Inc.

Ours are worthless. We keep sending them back to the manufacture for repair and they keep coming back to us working intermittantly at best.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarace View Post
Welcome to Wireless Tow Lights, Inc.

Ours are worthless. We keep sending them back to the manufacture for repair and they keep coming back to us working intermittantly at best.
Thank you

I had looked at this model and ended up deciding against them in favor of a different design.

Kind of leaning toward the "bar" that you place up to of the rear and go that direction. I found one that is 32 inches wide - that should be good. That is, if the electronics work properly....

Thank you for input

God Bless

Bill
Old 05-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepisllib View Post
Guess you missed the point I was making ------- "Wireless"...
Guess you're right. I did.

TowMate BTL10B from AWDirect

TM3L from TowMate

Tow Right RC-1

Tow Right RC-1/C

The last model has a cord running between the two lamps. The TowMates had some consistently good customer reviews on one site.

Of note; of all the light bars I saw while looking for these, none would be legal for regular towing use in Nevada (for example) and I expect that would be the case in other states as well. If I recall correctly, the statute regarding tail/brake lamps read something like, "as near to the outside of the vehicle as is practical." In my experience that was considered to be meant as any lighting more narrow than OEM would be illegal. Would you get stopped and cited for it? I don't know...
Old 05-29-2012, 04:04 AM   #7

They sounded like a good idea until I saw the prices...

I use wired magnetic LED lights on my toad, just be careful where you run the wires.
Do not let them lay on top of the hood, my old Santa Fe still had marks
on the hood when I sold it....

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
They sounded like a good idea until I saw the prices...

I use wired magnetic LED lights on my toad, just be careful where you run the wires.
Do not let them lay on top of the hood, my old Santa Fe still had marks
on the hood when I sold it....

Been there - done that and I understand the issues with "Wired" temporary towing lights.

THAT - is the reason I am going with the "Wireless" system - just trying to determine one that will work, work correctly, and mount properly.

No - I certainly do not intend on doing the Wiring........ way too hard to fish, run, drill holes, alter and modify the vehicle just for that. Price isn't such an issue ----- as long as it works.

God Bless

Bill
Old 06-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Guess you're right. I did.

TowMate BTL10B from AWDirect

TM3L from TowMate

Tow Right RC-1

Tow Right RC-1/C

The last model has a cord running between the two lamps. The TowMates had some consistently good customer reviews on one site.

Of note; of all the light bars I saw while looking for these, none would be legal for regular towing use in Nevada (for example) and I expect that would be the case in other states as well. If I recall correctly, the statute regarding tail/brake lamps read something like, "as near to the outside of the vehicle as is practical." In my experience that was considered to be meant as any lighting more narrow than OEM would be illegal. Would you get stopped and cited for it? I don't know...
Hello retmotor,
I have just been reading over this thread and found it interesting. Toad lights are a pain at the best of times.
How have you made out with your quest? I am thinking of going this route also and if you have any comments, that would be great.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
That wasn't me that started this thread. I was a bit curious about it, but really I only found out what I posted above. My conclusion would be based on consumer reviews and that is avoid the less expensive one due to poor reviews. If you want no cord on your toad at all, be careful which model you choose as some have cords between the lights. Strictly speaking, the "light bar" would be illegal in Nevada. I don't know about other states. Were it me I'd carry an affordable wired set for backup -- just in case. If your toad's finish is a concern, carry a roll of painters tape. It won't damage the paint and it will keep the cord from flopping around which will damage the paint. Sorry I could not be of more help.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #11

Quote:
That wasn't me that started this thread. I was a bit curious about it, but really I only found out what I posted above. My conclusion would be based on consumer reviews and that is avoid the less expensive one due to poor reviews. If you want no cord on your toad at all, be careful which model you choose as some have cords between the lights. Strictly speaking, the "light bar" would be illegal in Nevada. I don't know about other states. Were it me I'd carry an affordable wired set for backup -- just in case. If your toad's finish is a concern, carry a roll of painters tape. It won't damage the paint and it will keep the cord from flopping around which will damage the paint. Sorry I could not be of more help.
I have found the system I intend to use and it is here:

http://www.towmate.com/products/light-duty

Regarding the lighting requirements, states usually will honor the system that governs the state in which his/her vehicle is currently registered.

Thank you to all

God Bless

Bill
Old 06-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
The difference between wired and wireless magnetic lights is $20 to $300! I could buy a lot of zip ties for that difference. I'd put the lights on the roof or back bumper, then zip tie the wire up the underside of the vehicle to the front bumper. No batteries to worry about, no wondering if the wireless signal is reaching the lights reliably, etc.

I have a set of magnetic lights, but the fenders and bumper on the back of my beetle are plastic. The trunk is steel, but it at the wrong angle for the lights to show. I removed the taillights, drilled a hole for a socket and LED light, then ran the wires from the lights under the car to the front. No body work or wires under carpet, all out of sight. The sockets and LEDs cost about $10 total, the wire harness, with plug was $12. And mine won't be stolen.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #13

And this is what makes us all so very special.

Each and every one out there have his/her values, priorities and we all must respect each other from that point.

Yes - I certainly could very easily do something far cheaper, far easier on the pocket book and so on.

However, I choose to have something easily removable from one to another vehicle and even though it cost a lot more - so do those million dollar tour coaches some choose to buy.

God Bless

Bill
Old 06-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepisllib View Post
...Regarding the lighting requirements, states usually will honor the system that governs the state in which his/her vehicle is currently registered...
Licensing requirements are reciprocal. Equipment regulations are not.

Tags
lights, toad