Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Xantrex SW2012 failure! how about the XC2000?

Just got word Xantrex will not warranty my 2 year old inverter, it had an under voltage failure of the main board on my SW2012. Soo.... I'm shopping for a new inverter and when asking for alternatives (yes Magnum MS2000 is at the top of my list) one place recommended the Xantrex XC2000.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this inverter. I'll get the manual and read through it but would like real live info which is why I post here. Thanks in advance for any info.

Rick
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #2

I have the Xantrex RS2000 w/100A charger, which is obsolete, and works very well. There are different specs for the MS2000, I would recommend the one with a 100A charger.
If you want more current information about the MS2000, I recommend calling Xantrex customer service/tech support and talking with a rep. That's when I was informed my RS2000 is obsolete and they no longer support that model or have replacement parts. Their # should be in your owners manual.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
Community Moderator

I used to have a Freedom D20 made by Xantrex. 2 years ago I switched it with a Magnum MS2812. Both were/are good but I like Magnum more. Not only it outputs true sine wave, but also durable and sustaining "abuse" - I had times of overheat or overload shutdown, but later pressed reset button it backed to life again.
Here has a better price https://www.imarineusa.com/search.as...agnum+inverter
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Just saw this post...

BLUF-Overall, I like it.

Thoughts...

I installed an XC2000 in my Class C last Spring (2018). The first one kept throwing the breaker in my garage when I plugged into shore power. I figured that this had to do with my experience level with electrical work and electronics. Additionally, the inverter threw an error code that was not in the manual when this happened. If I ran the inverter with shore power unplugged, it ran fine. In any case, the error code was a "call tech support" code. Not very helpful on a weekend when we working types have the time to attack these projects. Fast forward, I also installed PV panels and a solar charger and stopped worrying about plugging into the grid. Came to find out later that this inverter does not play well with certain types of GFCIs. That info was nowhere in the manual either. I spent hours researching about grounded neutrals and trying to find one that did not exist, because that's what Xantrex's tech support pointed me towards.

I should also mention the inverter smoke checked itself shortly after I installed it. There was a large char mark on the negative side of the battery cable terminal. Yes, it was torqued properly. I called customer service and they had a new one to me in just two days. I installed the new one and it is running fine to this day (Jan 2019). I should also mention that I've been full-timing since September. So it's been close to 5 months of continual problem free shore powered use.

I bought the external/remote panel since this is mounted away in a cabinet that would be difficult to routinely access. I must remark that the interface on this is about as technological as a 1980s Casio watch. As a part of my electrical system overhaul, I also installed a Victron solar charger and battery monitor. I can monitor and manipulate the Victron products via a free bluetooth app by Victron. But the inverter that cost nearly twice as much as the Victron products combined has an interface that must be wired and, in general, disappoints.

The AC terminals on this inverter are terrible to attach your 10/3 wire to. I called tech support on this one also, and the English language does not have the words necessary to describe how to do this. There's even a video on Youtube that attempts to demonstrate how to do this. But it's tough for a camera to capture. In the end you have to use a ridiculous amount of force to get the wires in while also not snapping the AC terminal off the board, while also working at a very challenging angle. Good news is, once the copper is in, it will probably never come out.

I also looked at the Magnum products. I was impressed by what I saw. But Magnum seems to be doing nothing to advance their products, while Xantrex did appear to be advancing their products. I also hated to buy Chinese. But at the end of the day, the cost savings from purchasing the Xantrex allowed me to keep my project costs below $2,500 (to include 4x100W PV panels, Xantrex inverter, Victron MPPT solar charger, Victron battery monitor, 2 x Trojan T-105REs and all the necessary wiring, fuses and hardware).

Good luck, and if you haven't pulled the trigger already and have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
PartyBoyWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:24 AM   #5

Did you figure out the solution to the GFCI problem? I have it too, with my XC2000. Otherwise I love it.
orangeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:48 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeminnie View Post
Did you figure out the solution to the GFCI problem? I have it too, with my XC2000. Otherwise I love it.
Well, sort of... I'm building a new house with a RV garage and full hookups, to include a dedicated 30 amp plug ...sans GFCI.

You could also just remove the GFCI and put in an unprotected circuit. Bear in mind I have no idea what kind of hazard, or not, that could present in your situation.

Or you could keep buying differnt models until one worked. But that may not be cost effective. How's your luck in Vegas?

I honestly can't remember where I learned about this. But it may have been while on the phone with Xantrex's tech support. I would call them asd ask if they have the list. If not, hunt the web. It's out there somewhere. And if you do find it, do one better than me and post it here for those that come after us.

***Update on the system. Fulltiming for 18 months now and the Xantrex XC2000 is still going strong. It's been in for almost two years.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:22 AM   #7

There is 2 solutions to the GFI problem. 1) turn off the GFI circuits within the RV. OR 2) plug into a non GFI circuit on shore power. Sometimes 2 GFI's in series don't play nice. I have proven this with my own two trailers sitting side by side. 9 years difference in years between the two trailers. Neither worked plugged into a GFI circuit.

There is a DA group trying to get them installed in campground services as they have done with marinas. I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO DO IT AND REFUSED. I LIKE MY LICENSE. When that happens we are all going to be screaming. Many new marinas remove the GFI's after inspection. There is just no explaining to a person with a Multi-$$$$$$ yacht that he has a problem with his boat that worked fine in the marina he just left.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:32 PM   #8

MOVs (metal oxide varistors), which serve as surge protection "snubbers", have an inherent small amount of current leakage to ground. This can be enough to trip a GFCI. The XC2000 almost certainly contains these devices. I also have a hard-wired Progressive Industries EMS (Elecrical Management System), which denfinately contains multiple MOVs. I was going to try bypassing the EMS, to start.
orangeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #9

Another inverter to look at are the Victron inverters. I installed one last year and I really like it a lot.
Rocketman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:08 PM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman3 View Post
Another inverter to look at are the Victron inverters. I installed one last year and I really like it a lot.
My battery monitor and solar charger are both Victron. That company's products beat Xantrex and Magnum any day of the week. I didn't get a Victron inverter only because they didn't offer one in a size/configuration that worked for me at the time of my install.

Tags
xantrex