Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #1

Smile YAGI to router

Hello!

I am new to my full time RV lifestyle (2 months now), but am not new to technology, computers, wi-fi, etc.

So, my question is how to specifically get the boosted wi-fi signal from the YAGI that is connected to the coax cable on the outside of the trailer, to then connect to my router inside the trailer, which is then connected via wi-fi to my hotspot. The router does not have a coax connector on it, only ethernet. Its a regular home router (Netgear) that was connected to a broadband cable modem in my house.

Now that I am living in my RV, and selling my house, I need to get the YAGI signal to my hotspot inside the trailer (to get past the Faraday Cage effect). I assumed all I had to do was hook up an adapter to the male coax labeled "Antenna" inside the trailer that would then convert the signal to cat5. However, after extensively searching Amazon, there doesn't appear to be such an adapter (unless I totally missed it). IOW, I want to connect to the existing coax port inside the trailer and plug that into the ethernet port on the router. In the house, the cable modem took care of that signal conversion: coax cable in, ethernet cable out to router.

Perhaps I cannot use my home router, and need to buy a router that has a coax port? After 30 years of working with computers and tech, and seeing just how easy it is to find just about anything to fit a new need, I am surprised to not see a tech solution already available, and easily researched. But, maybe I'm trying to do something new?

Any clarification on this subject would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
heticu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #2

I'm confused about what you have and what you're trying to do.

You mentioned the words router and hotspot. Is this one device or two?

Is the hotspot a cellular device with a SIM from a carrier in it? I think it is. That's the thing you need to connect the antenna to but that's only possible if it has an antenna connector. I have read that some hotspots have somewhat hidden non-obvious antenna connectors. If you're lucky there then you might need some sort of coax adapter if it doesn't match the connector from you're antenna.

The radio signal needs to come to and from the hotspot, not the non-radio router.

If the hotspot doesn't have an antenna connector, there's no "adapter" that will make this work. Your only hope might be a cellular booster.

There will be other ways of solving your problems but let's clarify exactly what you have first.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:26 AM   #3

The "jetpack" as Verizon calls it (hotspot with SIM card) does not have any connectors, that is why I include the use of a router. I have already successfully connected my hotspot to my router via wi-fi connection. The router converts the carrier signal into ethernet, which I then can connect to many devices in my RV. It is similar to a cable modem converting cable signal into ethernet, which then plugs into the router.

I already have a signal booster (YAGI) hooked up to the external coax port labeled "Satellite". What I was trying to do is hook the internal end of that coax cable to the router so that it can boost the hotspot signal. However, I think your wording made me realize that the hotspot signal is only one-way. It has to be connected directly to the YAGI, and it is not designed to do that. It is pocket size with no connectors on it.

So, it appears that I cannot boost my hotspot signal due to its design. And, Verizon insists that I buy one of their jetpacks to use with their SIM card. Unless, maybe you know if I can buy any hotspot device and simply move my SIM card from the jetpack to it?
Old 11-23-2020, 07:22 PM   #4

You've clarified this somewhat but still not really enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heticu13 View Post
The "jetpack" as Verizon calls it (hotspot with SIM card) does not have any connectors, that is why I include the use of a router. I have already successfully connected my hotspot to my router via wi-fi connection. The router converts the carrier signal into ethernet, which I then can connect to many devices in my RV. It is similar to a cable modem converting cable signal into ethernet, which then plugs into the router.
Okay, that makes sense. It sounds like your router has the ability to use wifi as its "WAN". Its connection to the outside world is through the wifi connection to the hotspot. You can then connect devices via ethernet to the LAN side of the router.

But then your answer gets confusing again.

Quote:
I already have a signal booster (YAGI) hooked up to the external coax port labeled "Satellite". What I was trying to do is hook the internal end of that coax cable to the router so that it can boost the hotspot signal. However, I think your wording made me realize that the hotspot signal is only one-way. It has to be connected directly to the YAGI, and it is not designed to do that. It is pocket size with no connectors on it.
The word "yagi" means a type of antenna. They're the type with the multiple elements. Home TV antennas are yagis but they make them for cellular too.

A cellular booster has an external antenna, an internal antenna and a box with the amplifier etc in it. Do you have the booster box and internal antenna or do you just have the yagi antenna?

The other thing that is not clear is are you trying to improve the cellular connection to get better data speed etc or are you trying to extend the wifi signal from the router so you can use your hotspot while sitting outside the coach or something?

If you're trying to improve the cellular signal and you have all the components of a booster then you need to put the hotspot close to the booster's internal antenna. If you just have the yagi antenna and nothing else and the hotspot doesn't have antenna ports then you have no immediate way of using that yagi.

If you're trying to extend the wifi signal then maybe you can connect an antenna to the router to replace its little vertical stick(s) but a yagi intended for cellular isn't very useful for that.

The coax intended for satellite TV may or may not work well for cellular. It depends what sort of coax it. It's a good idea because it avoids drilling another hole but my guess is that it would be mediocre at best. Perhaps you could replace the cable with good quality coax appropriate for cellular.

Quote:
So, it appears that I cannot boost my hotspot signal due to its design. And, Verizon insists that I buy one of their jetpacks to use with their SIM card. Unless, maybe you know if I can buy any hotspot device and simply move my SIM card from the jetpack to it?

I don't get it. Why are they telling you to get another Jetpack when you already have one? I still don't have a clear picture of what you're trying to do. Oh, I think they mean buy one with antenna connectors. That makes sense. You can probably move the SIM to another Verizon compatible hotspot. I think they allow that.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #5

Do your self a favor. Go to the Mobile Internet Resource Center to see what services & equipment are available. So much available to keep you connected on the move.

We went full time in December & invested in a cellular router/modem. We can get our internet from a cellular provider, WiFi from RV park or local broadcast, or, from an Ethernet cable (not likely in a RV). The router portion of the device distributes the signal inside the RV.

My monthly out of pocket expense for cellular service to provide internet & streaming TV is about $50.00 a month less than what I was paying for internet service & satellite TV in the house. I used the reduced monthly out of pocket expense to justify the investment in the equipment for the RV.
I need reliable internet service as I operate a small business from my RV.
By the way, with the correct cellular modem/router, you may be able to hook up your YAGI antennae with a simple cable adapter and bypass the coax fracus.
lemodrop9344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:14 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check out the Alpha Camp Pro setup. Outside 'bullet' radio that is connectorized - can use with a variety of antennas such as your yagi. Inside radio/router/access point for your wifi devices to connect to. USB cable/interface between the radio units for easy configuration.

If you want a similar setup only using IP and CAT5/6 between the radios, look at bullet radio and inside units from Ubiqity.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemodrop9344 View Post
We went full time in December & invested in a cellular router/modem. We can get our internet from a cellular provider, WiFi from RV park or local broadcast, or, from an Ethernet cable (not likely in a RV). The router portion of the device distributes the signal inside the RV.
All good stuff and I'm sorry if you've answered this before but what sort of data plan do you have for your router/modem?

That's my dilemma. I actually have a Pepwave router and a MIMO that I haven't installed in my RV yet because I still haven't found a data plan that I can check out enough to know it's legitimate. Maybe I'm just being overcautious but I see so many stories of reseller plans being shut down and generally having problems that it makes me nervous. I think there are genuine plans out there, I just don't know how to be find one or know when I've found one. Looking for and transferring a grandfathered unlimited plan seems like a difficult path to say the least.

In the meantime, I'm tethering from a phone using my little Raspberry Pi project which has been fun and is working quite well but I know that a router/modem and antenna is a much better way to go.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
If the hotspot doesn't have an antenna connector, there's no "adapter" that will make this work.

@tetranz
Thanks for your reply. You have answered my original question.

@lemodrop9344
I will check this out. Thanks.

Tags
route