Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2020, 08:35 AM   #43

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvcampbell View Post
We "cut the cord" many years ago. We have Roku on each TV in our home, so it made sense to use it in the MH as well. Without considering content, Roku devices have advantages that make it work best for us.

Like most coaches, ours has a video distribution system that distributes satellite service to each TV from one source. We don't have satellite and never plug in to RV park cable service, so I have just one Roku device plugged into the satellite HDMI "channel". That way, I get Roku on an HDMI source at each TV. The advantage with Roku remotes is that they are not infrared - they operate on a RF signal. This means that I can control the single Roku device from anywhere - even the outdoor TV, and can even use the app on my phone for the remote.

Finally, the Roku remote with a headphone jack allows me to watch recorded TV programs in bed while my wife sleeps.

Don't know if other systems have these advantages or not, but Roku works very well for us.
Roku does work well and has many functions . That is why we have stayed with it so long. It just keeps getting better and has apps out the Yeng and the Yang. There are so many choices out there now for TV and they are all very good, but for us in the house and in the camper Roku rules.

We also use a Tablo. We watch local home news channels that way. We get a lot of OTA channels with it and record with commercial skips which makes it a little better for shows we play back.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
Why did you choose the device that you choose ?

I have Amazon Prime, but their movies, etc. had very little to do with choosing Amazon Fire TV Stick for my 4 televisions at home. Cost, size and no addition wires (power from the TV) were the biggest pluses.
We chose Roku Ultra and an Android TV box, we have a Netflix account and an IPTV account as well as Kodi, add to that all the OTA local Channels and that is all we need, as long as we can get good Internet bandwith I can't think of anything more we would need. I also bring along a multitude of movies and series on a hard drive for the times when I am desperate. Besides, we are not camping to go watch TV.
Bazou7101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:03 AM   #45

I love that I can plug in a headset to the remote and listen to the program when my woman is making a racket in the kitchen, we have 2 Rokus, a Roku 3 and the latest Roku Ultra 4k and I hate the extra buttons at the bottom, however the find the remote function is great.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #46

Just returned a new lg smart tv (Webos) for an Android.
Reason was availability of apps.
Android has google play store.
Also bought a Nvidia Shield for the older plasma.
Strictly streaming now. The nvidia works as well or better than the new tv.
I give 2 thumbs up to Nvidia tv shield so far.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:27 PM   #47

We bought a Roku Smart TV and a Amazon Fire Stick. It works well for us.
franklin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:32 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
Apple household here, so two AppleTVs. One upstairs, one down. Currently streaming YouTubeTV with Dish on pause. No downside so far so we’ll probable join the cord cutters after the new year. Especially since Nexstar pulled out and Dish raising rates Jan/2021.

Got a free Chromecast coming for YTTV signup. Guess I’ll see what that ones like. Never had one. I’ve had Roku3 before and really like it. Gave it to my sister and it’s still running.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:52 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
We have a Hopper in our S&B home and we also have one in our MH that we use through our Winegard Trav'ler that also runs the wireless Joey in the bedroom/exterior via HDMI splitter.

One of the great things about our Hopper is the ability to stream Netflix and also receive local channels (Phoenix) via Locast which also streams through the Hopper all of which is serviced via our onboard router with AT&T connected car plan which provides unlimited data.
Count us in the Dish Hopper camp. I've tried Hulu, Disney+, youtube, but Sat works best for us. No drop outs, works even in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes we'll use Dish on demand (if we've enabled the onboard router) to stream something but we rather watch on our schedule and skip ads by pre-recording SAT movies etc for later. it also has 2 OTA tuners I can view/schedule recordings in addition to the SAT. We also have Google TV with Chromecast and use that at times for browsing websites and casting photos or other stuff. BTW, Hopper typically includes Siriusxm channels... All for less monthly than cobbling together internet streaming. And as previously mentioned, works in the middle of nowhere. And if on the extreme east coast of Newfoundland or interior Alaska "mountains", the hard drive recordings are still available. BTW, my Joey is hooked in via coax for BR and outside TVs, and occasionally will use Dish Anywhere to send from the coach Hopper to someplace else around the campground/campsite.
YMMV
TXduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #50

Roku Ultra

+1 for Roku Ultra. Home and RV.
tcgoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #51

I consider myself pretty technologically savvy but reading this thread is making my head spin!!!!! LOL

How about if I just tell you what I need to have and you folks let me know the best way to do it.

I have a 2015 Newmar LADP. Just bought it so I do not know whether the TV's are "smart" or dumb.

We hardly watch any TV at all. But for various reasons we absolutely have to have national network and sports (Fox, NBC, NBCSN, Fox Sports) no matter where we are located. And we are typically in a different city every week.

It does not matter to me where the "home base" of these networks is located. Just need access to their live network broadcasts.

So far I think that the best way to accomplish this is to subscribe to YoutubeTV and use some sort of HDMI interface (Roku, Apple TV, Firestick,etc.) into the TV's. Will use AT&T hot spots when not on a wifi connection.

Is that the best way to skin this cat?
Old 12-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
There are pretty much no shortcuts here or one answer fits all. If you are tech savvy then you'll figure it out pretty quickly.

It sounds like for the most part you can get by with OTA TV.

If you go with YouTube.TV with your phone's as hotspots what you'll quickly learn is that you'll run out of high speed data from your phone plan in a week or less. Unless you use OTA TV as much as possible.

This is big subject as you can tell by all the long threads on the topic.

If you are full-timing and want access to TV via the internet the simplest and easiest and least expensive way is probably via the $40 a month Visible service. There is a thread on this with thousands of posts but the basic details are included in the first 10 or so posts.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/40-m...ed-442091.html
Old 12-25-2020, 05:10 AM   #53

My Amazon Fire TV Stick came with a power cube and cable to connect to the Fire Stick. Are you not using an external power source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
Why did you choose the device that you choose ?

I have Amazon Prime, but their movies, etc. had very little to do with choosing Amazon Fire TV Stick for my 4 televisions at home. Cost, size and no addition wires (power from the TV) were the biggest pluses.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:36 AM   #54

I would use Dish network. A Playmaker automatic dish and a Wally receiver are about $300. The Dish account can be turned on and off using your phone. You can also add a OTA module $50 to the Wally. After it searches for channels it will install them into the guide along with the Sat channels. If you add an external USB (powered) hardrive you can record one channel from the OTA and one from the Sat at the same time. This works for us everywhere we go.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponserv View Post
I consider myself pretty technologically savvy but reading this thread is making my head spin!!!!! LOL

How about if I just tell you what I need to have and you folks let me know the best way to do it.

I have a 2015 Newmar LADP. Just bought it so I do not know whether the TV's are "smart" or dumb.

We hardly watch any TV at all. But for various reasons we absolutely have to have national network and sports (Fox, NBC, NBCSN, Fox Sports) no matter where we are located. And we are typically in a different city every week.

It does not matter to me where the "home base" of these networks is located. Just need access to their live network broadcasts.

So far I think that the best way to accomplish this is to subscribe to YoutubeTV and use some sort of HDMI interface (Roku, Apple TV, Firestick,etc.) into the TV's. Will use AT&T hot spots when not on a wifi connection.

It's easy to spot a Smart TV, just look at the remote, if it has a Smart Hub button in or around the center with navigation buttons all around it then it's a pretty sure bet that you have a Smart TV on your hands
Old 12-26-2020, 03:13 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponserv View Post

If your in a city , just use your over air antenna and tune in the local channels on your tv.
Cheap (free) , effective , and better quality picture than sattelite, cable or cell .