Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2023, 04:40 AM   #1

Your thoughts on Starlink

I like to know your thoughts on Starlink? Good or bad.
Thanks
Mike
mike91eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2023, 05:07 AM   #2

I had put up my deposit and waited...and waited...and waited trying to get set up. First it was "the last half of 2021" so when January 2022 came, I checked back and it said first half of 2022 for my area. When August came and still nothing, I checked and it said "mid 2023".

And in the meantime, they had already increased the price of service. And, in September the FCC denied them $900 million (tax dollars) for funding.

https://www.space.com/spacex-starlin...%20its%20Sept.

I requested a refund and got it - then signed up for T-Mobile 5G Home Internet service and am extremely pleased with that...for $50 per month flat rate.
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 05:43 AM   #3

Got mine yesterday, setting it up today.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 06:05 AM   #4

It is a noble undertaking for sure. Hats off to Elon for trying it. I have satellite TV.. it works great as long as it is not raining heavy. If raining heavy we lose Television reception. I wanted to say TV but that means 'Tow Vehicle' on this forum.

I just read that now they are using the 2nd gen of the satellite.2nd gen when 1st gen is not 100% up.

I thought this would happen. Electronics become obsolete so a continual updating needs to take place. Elon needs more rockets.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 07:17 AM   #5

I have had Starlink since Aug 2022 and am very happy with it. Until Starlink, I had to rely on copper dsl at a max of 2.8 mb/sec download speed and at times would drop below 1 mb/sec. Streaming was limited to one tv with no other computers online.

I had sat tv since the mid 80's up until 10 yrs ago when I got tired of it losing a signal with anything but the lightest rain shower, which in FL is frequent year round and daily in summer. Neighbors have tried sat internet, and like sat tv, it drops in the rain. Starlink will stay connected in all but a local torrential downpour.

A speed check just now for Starlink shows 145 mb/sec down and 12 mb/sec upload.
JSM180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 11:13 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Latitude 47, too much rain, snow and 100’+ fir trees to even give it a try.
Not many sat dishes where we live in the forest. There is a guy advertising tree mount installs for Starlink with a money back guarantee, but is the hardware purchase worth the risk? Wouldn’t a tree swaying in the wind be problematic? I’d give anything to terminate my current (and only available) cable provider. Cell service stinks here too, for all providers. Currently with Verizon. Nearest tower is 20 miles away and overloaded on weekends.
Short of dropping a couple hundred trees I’m out of options.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 11:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Elon needs more rockets.
Elon needs to not flush away $200 billion in net worth every 90 days.

While I'm not a Starlink user/owner I think it's a useful service, so far. There are a couple of long-running threads here about the various RV implementations the folks here have tried and are using today, and for the most part... if you've got a clear view of the Northern sky, you can probably access Starlink satellites.
Old 01-01-2023, 11:26 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have had mine since October 2022. I have the RV version now. So far, I have had no issues. I think it took 5 days to get it. I have run the dishy on the ground and on a pole a few feet above the RV. Today we have cloud cover and rain and no issues. The RV version is a lower priority than the home version, so speeds are slower. No issues streaming or web browsing. We will be moving into a new sticks and bricks in Northern Nevada soon and i will order the home version. It just works and I assume can only get better as more satellites are put in orbit.
Old 01-01-2023, 12:38 PM   #9

We got ours in a couple weeks ago and it's been great. I put it off for several reasons, one was the concern the system would draw too much power when boondocking. As long as the self heating - "snowmelt" feature is off, it power draw hasn't been very much at all. I have mine on a digital timer that shuts it off at night when we go to bed. If I need to do a download overnight, it's easy to override the timer.

Speed: Speed does vary, but so does the speed on our two hotspots. So far, even at it's worst, we can still stream. We've been in places where our hotspots either don't work at all, or are like using dial-up - usually in remote areas. Remote areas is where Starlink shines. Camping in urban areas may be different as there's more competition for bandwidth, and its where the home segment gets prioritized.

One important thing to keep in mind is Starlink has a similar need to Satellite TV - good sightlines. The southern sky for Satellite TV, the Northern sky for Starlink. Neither are good when you camp in the trees. We are in the Arizona desert so it's been great. Not cheap though.

We were lucky. We ordered the RV package and had it delivered to our site in a little over a week.

For an RVer, there are a couple little nits, and they do have workarounds. The main one is this device wasn't designed to be step up and taken down on a frequent basis. There are complaints about the cable connections getting loose. You can find the workarounds online - if you are handy with cutting and splicing connectors.

The Dishy comes with a stand and 75 feet of cable so you have some freedom to move the dish if there's obstructions, but the other solution is to mount the dish up high. At this point I just put mine up on the roof. I have two places I can place it and secure it, one at the front and one near the rear of the coach, so it can't blow over, but this means climbing up and down off the roof and the resulting fall hazard. A lot of people use pole mounts.

I have another reason I originally refused to support Starlink and that's it's impact on astronomy, my lifelong hobby. Attached is an example - a photo I took not long after a group of Starlink satellites was launched, and before they had dispersed into their final orbit. Right above the main part of the Orion Nebula is a group of streaks. On the unprocessed original there are even more visible. In short, I admit to selling my amateur astronomer soul for remote internet. And no, I don't need it for work or business, just entertainment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M42andStarlink.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	383665  
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 12:50 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We bought ours early summer at home and tried it our for a month to see how we liked it. Was excellent, then shut it off and packed it away till we left for the winter and turned it back on. So far it has been fantastic, up load and down load speeds are allowing us to run 2 computers, a tv or 2 and security cameras all at one time. I do notice somewhat slower speeds at night when many folks must be on the system. I either have the dish sitting on the ground or sometimes mount to a small tripod, depending on what obstructions we might have in the various rv parks. So we LOVE it. So much better than any of the wifi in any rv park.
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 01:03 PM   #11

How long does it take to set up at a new campsite?
Old 01-01-2023, 01:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I won't give Musk a single red cent.
I have the same outlook now.

At one time I thought a Tesla model 3 would make a good replacement for the wife's grocery getter. Now, I'd be looking closer at the Kia EV6!
Old 01-01-2023, 02:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
Depends on the antenna installation on the camper. I had it working at the house in under 30 mins.
JSM180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 04:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
We just set up yesterday and within about 10 minutes it found the needed satelites and we were up and running.
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote