Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2022, 03:16 PM   #1

1.5 year old Norcold stopped working correctly

Just got back from a trip, and after a few days went to fridge to get some items - the pop in the fridge froze and broke open (what a mess) and the ice in the freezer was melted. No changes to any setting since day one - Thermistor or control board, or ??? Norcold N8DCSSR

TIA
StewyVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2022, 03:36 PM   #2

Error Codes?

Typical issue is freezer gets cold and food compartment doesn't not the other way around

Here is a Service Manual....has test procedures
https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...XN10DCX-EN.pdf
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:04 PM   #3

Are your freezers defrosted? The ice on the cold transfer plates acts like insulation from the cooling unit into the freezer boxes. The fridg box has the cooling fins inside it and even so the control board shuts the unit down every 40 hours or so and let's it warm up to 42 degrees in the fridg box to defrost the fins. You can defeat the defrost cycle by turning off the fridg and back on everyday to see if it is part of the problem. The more you access those ice boxes the worse they frost up. I empty one at a time into the other or the refer, put a bath towel in the bottom, shut off the fridg and heat gun the back of the compartment. A hair dryer will work. But a bit slower. Takes 5 minutes at most. After it all cools back down, usually the next day , I do the other side.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Are your freezers defrosted? The ice on the cold transfer plates acts like insulation from the cooling unit into the freezer boxes. The fridg box has the cooling fins inside it and even so the control board shuts the unit down every 40 hours or so and let's it warm up to 42 degrees in the fridg box to defrost the fins. You can defeat the defrost cycle by turning off the fridg and back on everyday to see if it is part of the problem. The more you access those ice boxes the worse they frost up. I empty one at a time into the other or the refer, put a bath towel in the bottom, shut off the fridg and heat gun the back of the compartment. A hair dryer will work. But a bit slower. Takes 5 minutes at most. After it all cools back down, usually the next day , I do the other side.
OP has a DC Compressor model.....no 'defrost cycle'

Freezer and food compartment have separate temp controls
Old 08-15-2022, 06:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Error Codes?

Typical issue is freezer gets cold and food compartment doesn't not the other way around

Here is a Service Manual....has test procedures
https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...XN10DCX-EN.pdf
Thank you - for the manual - yes it has been defrosted, and I powered it down for days at above 75 ambient
Old 08-15-2022, 06:56 AM   #6

Yes defrosted - thanks
Old 08-15-2022, 07:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
OP has a DC Compressor model.....no 'defrost cycle'

Freezer and food compartment have separate temp controls
Did norcold start using fans across an evaporator? I thought they still used cold transfer plates? I did see they went to a manual defrost cycle, thanks.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:50 PM   #8

Have you checked the freezer thermistor?
Have you checked the food compartment thermistor?

Each compartment has its own thermistor and temp control
Old 08-16-2022, 06:15 AM   #9

Thanks everyone - taking to service - above my pay grade

Tags
norcold