Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2018, 07:56 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
110V Short in Coach

We have a 2008 Fleetwood Revolution LE, when I plugged to shore power on this trip the Surge Guard Protector (permanent mounted) kept tripping about 10 sec. after engaging. It showed green light for both lines, showing good.
Flipped over to Generator power and everything runs fine.
Checked EMS panel no smell, no melted or charred wires. Checked the transfer switch, everything looks good, can see contact engage when Generator kicks in and return when turned off.
Figured issue was surge protector was bad, bypassed the surge protector.
ALL works well, until you touch the unit and get a shock like an electric fence. Of course I pulled power immediately.
I am thinking I must have short between shore power and transfer switch, but looking for thoughts from anyone.
Please share
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2018, 08:10 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry you're here with problems .

If your wiring was shorted , the power post circuit breaker should have tripped. If not before you by passed the surge guard ; then after.
The shock you get when touching the RV when on shore power ; commonly called " hot skin" is most commonly caused by miss wired power and neutral in the supply .

Was this problem only apparent on one power post ?
Did you contact the park and have the post wiring checked , or switch to another post or site?
When you by-passed the hard wired surge guard , did you get all the wires correct?
Can you see the wiring between the surge guard and the ATS , or are they in separate compartments?

EDIT: Could you add the brand name of the surge protector to you post .
Old 07-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry you're here with problems .

If your wiring was shorted , the power post circuit breaker should have tripped. If not before you by passed the surge guard ; then after.
The shock you get when touching the RV when on shore power ; commonly called " hot skin" is most commonly caused by miss wired power and neutral in the supply .

Was this problem only apparent on one power post ?
Did you contact the park and have the post wiring checked , or switch to another post or site?
When you by-passed the hard wired surge guard , did you get all the wires correct?
Can you see the wiring between the surge guard and the ATS , or are they in separate compartments?

EDIT: Could you add the brand name of the surge protector to you post .

Thanks Skip426

We had the grounds electrician come over. Post are good, started to shutting down breakers and found the water heater has a short in it.
Thanks for the questions.

Surge protector is a Surge Guard model 35550
Old 07-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #4

A full short of the water heater element should have tripped the circuit breaker in the coach .; particularly after you by-passed the surge guard.

I'd be interested to see a photo of the old element , when you've changed it.
What brand and model of WH ?

Odd electrical issues , fascinate me.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #5

Water heater coils have a resistance wire insulated inside the outer copper covering.

When they run without water, the wire burns thru the insulation and shorts to the outer cover. That causes a short to ground and depending ever it burnt thru, how many amps it can draw. 1/2 way thru, it won't trip the breaker.

If you got a hot skin, there is still a ground issue. The straycurrent should have gone back to the power post ground.

Sent from my VS835 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #6

The easy way to start any 120v electrical troubleshooting is to turn all breakers off then energize one by one and turning off each as you go. If no trouble then turn all off and turn on leaving each off until trouble is encountered.
This will narrow searches quickly.

Sent from my SM-G935P using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHntr View Post
We have a 2008 Fleetwood Revolution LE, when I plugged to shore power on this trip the Surge Guard Protector (permanent mounted) kept tripping about 10 sec. after engaging. It showed green light for both lines, showing good.
Flipped over to Generator power and everything runs fine.
Checked EMS panel no smell, no melted or charred wires. Checked the transfer switch, everything looks good, can see contact engage when Generator kicks in and return when turned off.
Figured issue was surge protector was bad, bypassed the surge protector.
ALL works well, until you touch the unit and get a shock like an electric fence. Of course I pulled power immediately.
I am thinking I must have short between shore power and transfer switch, but looking for thoughts from anyone.
Please share
Bypassing a safety device doesnt mean it is bad. The data still indicates you dont have a short but an open. Hook everything back up the way you started and begin again. Look closer at the surge protector lights.

https://rvpower.southwire.com/wp-con...0117-B-DSG.pdf

The word of the "grounds electrician" can not be taken as the truth.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:23 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all the feedback. So I also am not 100% positive what the exact issue is, as we have not pulled the water heater yet. There are two switches at the kitchen sink, one for propane and one for the water heater to run on 110 electrical. When you turn on the 110 switch, we get the “hot skin”, my meter reads 48v. Turn the switch off and the “hot skin” goes away. I al taking a simple meter, not digital and push the wires probe into the dirt and touching the probe to one of the bay doors. We have had unit for 3weeks and the dealer had to replace the heating element as it did not work in our walk through. And the water is really hot, so I think the thermostat is bad also.

Surge protector lights, line1 & 2 always green, caution light flashes for the 2 min, 15 sec. delay, then power light goes green. For about 15 sec. the protector cuts power and caution light flashes again, until power reset.

Again, thanks for all the input. Keep sending ideas
Old 07-02-2018, 07:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. So I also am not 100% positive what the exact issue is, as we have not pulled the water heater yet. There are two switches at the kitchen sink, one for propane and one for the water heater to run on 110 electrical. When you turn on the 110 switch, we get the “hot skin”, my meter reads 48v. Turn the switch off and the “hot skin” goes away. I al taking a simple meter, not digital and push the wires probe into the dirt and touching the probe to one of the bay doors. We have had unit for 3weeks and the dealer had to replace the heating element as it did not work in our walk through. And the water is really hot, so I think the thermostat is bad also.

Surge protector lights, line1 & 2 always green, caution light flashes for the 2 min, 15 sec. delay, then power light goes green. For about 15 sec. the protector cuts power and caution light flashes again, until power reset.

Again, thanks for all the input. Keep sending ideas
Well there you go. If you look at the link I sent, you can see that there is a problem with the incoming power.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would move to a different part of the CG and see what happens.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:15 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer View Post
Well there you go. If you look at the link I sent, you can see that there is a problem with the incoming power.

I will hook everything back up tonight and see what happens. Will give feedback later.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #12

I would venture another 'guess'... a neutral wire has rubbed/scraped/pinched and is touching metal, probably at or within the water heater...especially since this was 'just worked on' by an RV shop.
Your surge protector is sensing this 'open neutral' and is protecting you from the 'hot skin' situation.

GA RV Insurance
RVinsurance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:12 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I will hook everything back up tonight and see what happens. Will give feedback later.

Ok, hooked everything back up the way it was from beginning. NO ISUES!!

I will call the RV park grounds manager tomorrow to tell them to take another look at their pole. Must be on their side.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:40 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I will still have the wiring to the water heater looked at. Better safe than sorry.