Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2020, 08:00 AM   #1

12 volt only refrigerator

New member. Just took delivery of a Keystone Cougar, that has a 12 volt only refrigerator. Not familiar with the 12 volt only, have had many dual gas and electric. Any thoughts?
Doc John B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Many folks are converting their old AC/propane fridges to either AC only or 12VDC only. I think it will depend on how much boondocking you will be doing and whether you have solar panels. Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:33 AM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
The good is that your ice creme will be frozen, Your beer stays cold, and the milk won't go "blinkie" before it's time..
The could be "not so good" is that with a trlr You will need either a small gen set or solar to keep the batteries charged if puckerbrush boon docking..
[disclaimer.. We full time in a DP, swapped out the propane "wanna-be" and went to a Samsung 18 residential fridge/freezer, and have an onboard gen set] BEST upgrade in many moons.
Note.. We boondock 80% of the time..And My attitude is....so what if I have to run the gennie a couple of extra hours a day...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I changed my propane/electric to 12v only. Love it. uses approx. 10amp (DC) so lasts plenty long, even when boondocking. Don't have any solar, just 4 6v batteries for the house. No problems lasting 'til the next gen start.
US Navy - Vietnam Swiftboat Vet - PCF 102, PCF-62
Steve43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #5

12 volt refrigerator

Thanks for the thoughts. We will carry a generator with us as we usually camp in National Forest Parks, BLM, or State parks.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:39 PM   #6

Sir, did you beef up the wire guage and fuse to run the 12v unit. I worry that the standard wiring for a gas/elec would not be that robust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve43 View Post
I changed my propane/electric to 12v only. Love it. uses approx. 10amp (DC) so lasts plenty long, even when boondocking. Don't have any solar, just 4 6v batteries for the house. No problems lasting 'til the next gen start.
samsonsdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc John B View Post
New member. Just took delivery of a Keystone Cougar, that has a 12 volt only refrigerator. Not familiar with the 12 volt only, have had many dual gas and electric. Any thoughts?
Welcome to iRV2.

Is this a brand new RV or, a new to you unit that someone added the 12 volt fridge .
If new could you post the model and brand of the fridge .
Old 01-26-2021, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Steve ; was this a DC compressor conversion of an RV fridge , or a complete replacement ?
Old 01-27-2021, 07:34 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Steve ; was this a DC compressor conversion of an RV fridge , or a complete replacement ?
Yes it was, original 12?? fridge still in use.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:41 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonsdriver View Post
Sir, did you beef up the wire guage and fuse to run the 12v unit. I worry that the standard wiring for a gas/elec would not be that robust.
Yes I did. Ran a #12 (could have been #10, can't remember at the moment) directly from the battery with it's own cutoff switch in the battery compartment and a circuit breaker in the fridge compartment. Just wired the compressor to that circuit breaker.

We use a separate ice maker so I just closed the valve to the water hose but it would work on electric (120v) if I wanted to do that.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Yes I did. Ran a #12 (could have been #10, can't remember at the moment) directly from the battery with it's own cutoff switch in the battery compartment and a circuit breaker in the fridge compartment. Just wired the compressor to that circuit breaker.

We use a separate ice maker so I just closed the valve to the water hose but it would work on electric (120v) if I wanted to do that.
The circuit breaker belongs near the battery.
Circuit breakers protect wiring, not appliances. They have there own protection.

If that wire you ran, shorts to ground before the fuse, it will melt the insulation off and start burning things.

Remember, the battery stores 1000s of amps in it. A 10 guage wire will glow like a toaster coil.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:56 PM   #12

I did not change any wiring yet. This is a 2021 Keystone Cougar 5ver, and they have a “smart converter” produces a flood load then a maint load and then a trickle charge @13.2-4. I need to learn more about the converter before I change out the batteries. The converters come in a variety of amperage, including 35 amp 45 amp, 65 amp etc.. I have wired a 50 amp service on the barn to keep the RV connected so charging has not been a problem and likewise 4 camping trips have gone very smooth regarding the 12 volt refrigerator, and the rest of the unit
Old 01-27-2021, 09:58 PM   #13

This is a brand new 2021 keystone Cougar 27SGS 5ver
Old 01-28-2021, 06:09 AM   #14

Thank you for that answer. So you converted an existing gas fridge?
Quote:

samsonsdriver is offline   Reply With Quote