Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2020, 10:51 AM   #1

120V without inverter or shore power?

I'm trying to install a cell phone booster and am a little confused about the various modes of power in my 2012 Winnebago Via. It has a Xantrex 1000W Inverter with a on/off control panel in the RV.

What's confusing to me is while trying to figure out how to get 12V to the cell booster, I pulled the nearby Jensen radio/AV/DVD receiver (not the dash radio) from the wall and found a hidden outlet behind it which the Jensen is plugged into with a 120V to 12V adapter. The radio works even when the inverter is off and no shore power so where is that power coming from?

Also, when I'm plugged into shore power, I assume that supplies all of the outlets. Is it possible to damage the inverter if it's accidentally on while connected to shore power?
jwilson2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #2

No damage, my inverter is on all of the time, even with shore or generator power.

The inverter will have a pass thru switch letting shore power run thru its circuit to the outlets. Once shore power is off, the inverter powers that same circuit.

Can't explain the radio working unplugged or why they would power it that way.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:40 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Mystery 120 VAC outlet

When changing out my house batteries earlier this year, I traced and mapped all the cables for future reference. One of the cables connected directly to the battery positive, I discovered fed a somewhat hidden small second inverter which fed the outdoor TV/Entertainment center located in the first PS basement compartment.

I suppose it's possible you could have a similar setup powering your stereo system from a small secondary inverter. Can't think of any other scenario that would explain what you described.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #4

After looking at the wiring diagram on the back of the phone, discovered that there are two power wires. One is connected directly to the house batteries and the other goes to the plug which is powered through the inverter. Odd that the radio lights up but certain functions won't work without the inverter.

Good to know I can just leave the inverter on. Thanks for the responses.
jwilson2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson2000 View Post
After looking at the wiring diagram on the back of the phone, discovered that there are two power wires. One is connected directly to the house batteries and the other goes to the plug which is powered through the inverter. Odd that the radio lights up but certain functions won't work without the inverter.

Good to know I can just leave the inverter on. Thanks for the responses.
There should be no 120 volts going to the radio.
Old 12-28-2020, 06:41 PM   #6

Just for general info:

120VAC comes from either shore power or generator. There will be an automatic transfer switch to select one or the other, generally they favor the genny if both are active.

The inverter will feed many 120vac loads. As mentioned above, it will have an internal bypass switch that kicks in when on shore power.

While it's a good idea to minimize the load before switching power source, you won't blow anything up.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, power, shore power