RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2020, 08:30 PM   #1

12v connector type

I would like to improve the amount of 12v charging between my truck and my 5th wheel.

I am probably going to run 4ga, possibly 2ga wire. I am looking for a quick connector of some kind to do this. I know there is the Anderson connector, but the ones I have used in the past can be hard to connect/disconnect. Also they are not really weatherproof, but I am not sure that matters.

Is there another type of connector that is easy to use and weatherproof that works well with heavy gauge wire?
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 04:52 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hesitate to recommend a particular connector but would suggest you source at a marine supply. Trolling connectors are 8ga and I use them on my solar installation. They should have both your lower ga wire and waterproof connectors for a DIY build.
Good Luck
Volunteers USFWS. 8500 hrs each, 28 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:20 AM   #3

If you want something heavy-duty and able to take abuse, what about something designed for aircraft use? This setup can go with cable size up to "0"

Like this plug:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal.../piperplug.php

And this socket:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal.../pipersock.php
Old 11-25-2020, 07:49 AM   #4
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=battery+q...ss_ts-a-p_3_23

Scroll down to the large flat connectors. These will handle it.

I have been using these for several years and that solved any charging issues along with running a dedicated wire from my batteries through a auto reset breaker.

My charge line is hot all the time versus working only with the ignition key one. If we are traveling and do not unhook overnight the thing just keeps on charging.

I also built a small set of jumper cables so I could actually charge up a battery from there if needed.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=battery+q...ss_ts-a-p_3_23

Scroll down to the large flat connectors. These will handle it.

I have been using these for several years and that solved any charging issues along with running a dedicated wire from my batteries through a auto reset breaker.

My charge line is hot all the time versus working only with the ignition key one. If we are traveling and do not unhook overnight the thing just keeps on charging.

I also built a small set of jumper cables so I could actually charge up a battery from there if needed.

These would be the same as the Anderson connectors mentioned in the OP.

If you want to go with these, there are handles available which make it easier to plug/unplug.

https://www.amazon.com/Fat-Dragon-GO...6316884&sr=8-2
Old 11-25-2020, 05:18 PM   #6

I looked at some of the 8ga tolling stuff. That might work and would be much lighter overall. I just have to decide the length and how much power I want to be able to transfer safely.

I do like the aircraft plugs. That might be the ticket.

I know the Anderson style plugs work, I just dont care for them if there are other/better options out there.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
...I do like the aircraft plugs. That might be the ticket...

I liked the looks of the aircraft plugs and ordered a set for use on my coach. They are much more heavy-duty than I imagined - definitely designed for 0-ga battery cables. They are not suitable for lighter gauge wires without modification. Apparently there are lots of hacks done with these to get power to small planes for charging & jump starting. They'd work for your purpose, but I think that they might be a bit overkill. Probably better would be to get the Anderson plugs with the larger grip handles.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:44 PM   #8

I am looking at an HDT. One of the ones I am looking at comes with an APU that produces 60 amps. The APU has an auto start at a pre-determined low voltage.

I do have solar and I do have a built in generator, but depending how/where we are camped it might be a nice option to charge with the APU that uses about 1/4-1/3 the fuel that the generator does. It is also fed from a tank 4x the size.

60 amps at 30' calls for 2 ga wire.......
Old 11-28-2020, 12:51 AM   #9

Will this DC voltage drop calculator be helpful?https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wir...alculator.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:07 AM   #10

I use these on our 48v golf cart battery and charger connectors.
Good for >100a and available in multiple awg wire sizes.
Also have used a larger version, bumper mounted, on our mechanic shop truck to plug battery jumper cables in to. A little dielectric grease proved reliable in all weather conditions.

https://www.amazon.com/Connectors-Co...NrPXRydWU&th=1
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
I am looking at an HDT. One of the ones I am looking at comes with an APU that produces 60 amps. The APU has an auto start at a pre-determined low voltage.

I do have solar and I do have a built in generator, but depending how/where we are camped it might be a nice option to charge with the APU that uses about 1/4-1/3 the fuel that the generator does. It is also fed from a tank 4x the size.

60 amps at 30' calls for 2 ga wire.......

If you go the route of an APU you better hope that your campground neighbors (and family members) don't mind the noise. Having spent many nights in truck stops when driving semi, those things are not typically designed to be quiet - at all.