Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2020, 08:24 AM   #1

12v splice into bedroom light for CPAP???

Hey all,

So I can't find any 12v outlets in the bedroom of my 2007 Coachman Mirada. I've been watching lots of YouTube video about splicing into an existing 12V circuit and adding a 12V socket but they mostly say they are to power small fans or for the USB plugs.

Is it possible to power a CPAP if I splice into the wiring for the 12V lights in the bedroom? I guess I'm worried about the wire gauge and overheating and I haven't yet checked the wire gauge on those lights.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2020, 09:08 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, are you sure your CPAP will operate on 12VDC?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Mike, are you sure your CPAP will operate on 12VDC?

Yep there's an adapter for it

https://www.thecpapshop.com/dc-power...ense-10-series
Old 06-15-2020, 09:34 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by profjedi View Post
That adapter is probably 90 watts., which is about 7 1/2 amps. If your lighting is incandescent, switch to LED... you'll have plenty of capacity on that circuit.
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concord View Post
That adapter is probably 90 watts., which is about 7 1/2 amps. If your lighting is incandescent, switch to LED... you'll have plenty of capacity on that circuit.

yep the light is incandescent... with that in mind I'm assuming the wire gauge has to be large enough to handle an incandescent bulb so should be good enough for a cpap?
Old 06-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #6

In the mods I did to my RV. I saw no difference in wire gauge from lighting or the vent fans or the 12 volt outlets that came in my RV.
Limiting factor I see are the fuse sizes.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two 1041 bulbs is about 3 amps. You could always pull the fixture down and switch out and see what gauge wire is in there. From there you can decide if between the light and other equipment on that circuit if it will support another 7-8A.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My DW and I both use CPAP's that use a transformer to reduce 120v AC 12v dc. The CPAP actually runs off of 12v dc. I tapped into the bedroom slide wiring and put a 12v outlet on each side of the bed through the bed frame work where it won't be affected by the slide coming in or out. I made a couple cords with a 12v power plug and the appropriate plug to fit the CPAP. This way I dropped the transformer and associated wiring completely. The slide motor will draw many more amps than a CPAP but still be protected by a fuse. The 12v power plug is also fuse protected.

She recently got a different CPAP that requires a 24v dc input at 3.5amps. It came with a 90 watt transformer. Still have to figure out a way to run this without 120v AC.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageksl View Post
My DW and I both use CPAP's that use a transformer to reduce 120v AC 12v dc. The CPAP actually runs off of 12v dc. I tapped into the bedroom slide wiring and put a 12v outlet on each side of the bed through the bed frame work where it won't be affected by the slide coming in or out. I made a couple cords with a 12v power plug and the appropriate plug to fit the CPAP. This way I dropped the transformer and associated wiring completely. The slide motor will draw many more amps than a CPAP but still be protected by a fuse. The 12v power plug is also fuse protected.

She recently got a different CPAP that requires a 24v dc input at 3.5amps. It came with a 90 watt transformer. Still have to figure out a way to run this without 120v AC.

My ResMed Airsense is 24v... ResMed makes a 24v to 12v converter but it's in the $80 - $100 range.

Tags
light