Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2023, 04:58 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee325 View Post
Doesn't anyone solder anymore?

I happen to prefer this.
Nothing wrong with soldering and heat shrinking, where feasible.
I’d trust that method or a proper heat shrink crimp connector to a Wago quick connector any day. Don’t get me wrong, the Wago connectors are great in residential environments, especially where multiple terminations are needed. Quick and easy.
But…in an automotive application such as RV or Marine use I want a proven durable waterproof connection.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2023, 05:08 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
They work great and fit in tight work areas, unlike the bulky ratcheting type.
I remember many years ago we had a mechanic in the Police garage I worked in. We called him the Wizard, because he thought his work was magical. Anyhow, he criticized everyone’s work, including mine. I worked night shift prepping new Crown Vic’s for service…lights, sirens, strobes, wig wags etc.
He insisted we use the shops new $600 hydraulic “no crush”crimpers because, well, we were doing it all wrong and he was always right. We balked and Mr Wizard brought it up at a safety meeting, so we did a pull test between his work and everyone else’s. Our crimps won hands down, every time, while his pulled out of the crimp rather easily. He kept using his special hi tech gadgetry and soldered his connections after he crimped them.
We were prepping three cars to his one lol…
We hail from similar careers. I wrenched 32 years at City of Portland Oregon. We outfitted and maintained our own cars as well. Good place to work and we did good work. Policy was, do anything the car needed so it wouldn't return till next PM service. Breakdowns were a rarity.

You have likely seen the rear door window bars that became popular in the 80's? Called "Portland Bars" for a reason. I tired of doing so many kickouts on rear door glass. Met with our Fab Shop foreman. We designed a jig, welded them up and allowed any agency to use our plans. Cheaper than glass replacement and no foot chase.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 05:37 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
We hail from similar careers. I wrenched 32 years at City of Portland Oregon. We outfitted and maintained our own cars as well. Good place to work and we did good work. Policy was, do anything the car needed so it wouldn't return till next PM service. Breakdowns were a rarity.

You have likely seen the rear door window bars that became popular in the 80's? Called "Portland Bars" for a reason. I tired of doing so many kickouts on rear door glass. Met with our Fab Shop foreman. We designed a jig, welded them up and allowed any agency to use our plans. Cheaper than glass replacement and no foot chase.
Yep, I remember the Portland Bars, and the silent partner partitions as well. 27 years, City of Seattle. I did three years nights at Charles Street police/truck garage and then transferred to the Seattle City Light garage. Maintained about every type of electric utility equipment imaginable from chainsaws to 170’ Condor bucket trucks. Last nine years were in Fleet Management, but I really missed the dirty hands. Fortunately my job in management was spec writing new equipment so most everything custom built had our mechanics in mind…whenever possible.
We really do enjoy that PERS pension now.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 06:01 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are multiple connectors types that will work. My favorite are closed end connectors. Like these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-04-08 at 5.48.42 PM.png
Views:	12
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	389906

Buy them at the big box stores, Amazon, etc in a variety of sizes. At home I have about 100 different types and sizes of wire connectors for a variety of applications, plus a selection of crimpers. I normally prefer a double crimp type. Some times space may suggest a particular type of connector. Like if it has to be pushed back up into a small hole.

I did an upgrade to LED lights by just replacing the bulbs and did not need to replace the fixtures. In another case I replaced RV fluorescent lights with LEDs by removing all of the guts in the fixtures and using LED light strips inside the old fixtures. Came out very nice. You can vary the brightness by the color of the LED strip and how many strips you put in to the old fixture.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 06:08 PM   #19

All you wanted to know about crimps & crimper.
CMS is a pro and provides very good non- biased info...

https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v, wiring