Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2023, 08:30 AM   #1

1821 Invention being killed!

Went looking at new travel trailers. One thing missing from almost all of them was an absorption fridge. Has chicken little sentenced this wonderful invention that has served so well in the two centuries it has been around to death because some owners are not diligent with cleaning? Or is it because every RV fire can be blamed on the device even though it is impossible to find the origins?
Either way, potential buyers are paying much more in money and effort to keep things cold. Residential fridges may cost a bit less but there is the issue of what to do on the road. Some put things in coolers until they are set up and the fridge is cold. Others spend large sums of money on solar, batteries and inverters so they can keep the fridge running going down the road. That may sit well with some but electrical problems have always been issues in RV's and I do not think more wiring and devices will help that.
Add to that the little clause that states the unit is for fixed residential use which makes having one in an RV problematic for warranty repairs. The 12v compressor units may fare better but sill require much more power than an absorption model and may require healthier battery banks.
I have only seen three trailer fires and all three were from propane heater faults. Nobody was hurt in any of them and all three saw the fire at the heater as soon as they got outside. In all three cases the fridge was on the opposite side of the unit and it could not have been the source of the fire. Even with the owners telling fire and insurance personnel the final report said "Undetermined origin" which would further fuel absorption fridge paranoia as it did not rule it out.
If residential fridges work for you that is great. Personally, I really like my cold all the time fridge that has a backup mode of running.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2023, 08:34 AM   #2

This has been the trend for a while now and the general consensus on the forums I belong to is that it is a cost savings move by the manufacturers and has nothing to do with fire safety or end user incompetence. It's all about money, they can throw in a cheaper unit and they don't have to pipe propane to it, huge labor savings. Let the buyer worry about how they will keep it running on the 100 watt solar panel and the FLA battery they provide with the RV.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:37 AM   #3

Welcome to the new norm...........

Soon propane stoves/ovens will join the absorption fridge and be replaced with induction stove tops and convection microwaves
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:46 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
When the Norcold died in our 2000 Suncruiser it was replaced with a 10 cu.ft. residential. Fit in same space as the Norcold with a lot more room. Spent $260 to install a 1500 watt inverter and now have a cold fridge in less than an hour and runs off my 2 12volt batteries when driving down the road. Don't need coolers or ice chest.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:05 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
And here I thought this was about uncle Sam going to get rid of the magnets on our fuel lines
Old 05-31-2023, 09:12 AM   #6

I'm sure it's just cheaper and easier for builders to source cheap residential refrigerators, and load more batteries. To me, the absorption fridge is perfect for RVs, unless you're a full-timer usually parked with hookups.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:44 AM   #7

I replaced a Norcold with a Magic Chef. More usable space and better temperature uniformity using 1/3 or less of the electricity. I wouldn’t see a reason to want to go back to adsorption fridge even when boondocking.
Wbago97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:09 AM   #8

We have a residential fridge. 8 batteries and properly sized inverter/charger.

Would never go back to absorption fridge or propane.

We dry camp frequently for up to a week and have no issues! We don't have solar either.
jaydee325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbago97 View Post
I replaced a Norcold with a Magic Chef. More usable space and better temperature uniformity using 1/3 or less of the electricity. I wouldn’t see a reason to want to go back to adsorption fridge even when boondocking.
When boondocking with an absorption fridge on propane, it uses much more electricity than a residential fridge? Please explain.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:21 AM   #10

A residential fridge uses 1/3 rd the electricity compared to an absorbsion fridge on 120 volt shore power.

Dry camping, the absorbsion fridge on propane and 12 volts is the clear electricity saver but your also burning propane.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:35 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
I'm sure it's just cheaper and easier for builders to source cheap residential refrigerators, and load more batteries. To me, the absorption fridge is perfect for RVs, unless you're a full-timer usually parked with hookups.

My 10 cu. ft residential can go for around 15 hours+ on just the 2 wet cell house batteries in 80 degree weather. Lost power last year while visiting relatives We lost 120 volt sometime during the day. Discovered the outage about 7PM and couldn't get power back until 8AM next day. Ran on the 2 house batteries all that time without killing the batteries.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
A residential fridge uses 1/3 rd the electricity compared to an absorbsion fridge on 120 volt shore power.

Dry camping, the absorbsion fridge on propane and 12 volts is the clear electricity saver but your also burning propane.
But it only sips propane. The only time I have the absorption on 110 is when plugged in at a campground, using their power. To each their own, but for dry camping, and being a typical 3-4 day camper, it suits me. Also carry a nice ice chest for drinks that stays cold for up to 5 days.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer1 View Post
My 10 cu. ft residential can go for around 15 hours+ on just the 2 wet cell house batteries in 80 degree weather. Lost power last year while visiting relatives We lost 120 volt sometime during the day. Discovered the outage about 7PM and couldn't get power back until 8AM next day. Ran on the 2 house batteries all that time without killing the batteries.
But an absorption fridge could have gone forever on propane, leaving your batteries free for other functions.
Old 05-31-2023, 11:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
When boondocking with an absorption fridge on propane, it uses much more electricity than a residential fridge? Please explain.

I get your point, but if I already plan to need an inverter and batteries and a generator it seems the electrical demand of a compressor residential refrigerator can be met easily while the performance of the fridge is better.
Wbago97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, vent