Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #1

1980's vintage norcold fridge

My fridge is a 110/12volt, and the problem I'm having is it won't work on the 110 side. It works great when on 12 volt. There is no problem with the plugs so I'm guessing it's internal. Anybody have any suggestions as to how or what I might have to do to fix it? I'm trying to fix it myself before I'll send it out. Thanks in advance.
yolo2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #2

Commercial Member

yolo2rv,

Three things to look for:

1. A continunity check of the electric heater element. If none, replace element.

2. 120 volt available at the outlet the refrigerator is plugged into. If none, check circuit breaker and/or GFCI.

3. 120 volt output from the control board to the electric heater element. If none, you will probably have to replace board.

Can't really offer more without Model Number of the refrigerator.

Hope the helps.
SUMDALUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #3

Yolo,

If it is one of the swing motor refrigerators, DC and AC only (no Gas operation, if you look at the back there is a big black can), then keep it going. If it works on DC then all the important parts are in good shape.

A manual is available at GMC Documentation. This doesn't include a complete schematic, but I believe I have one that I could scan and send to you - if you need it. You may not. You may not. If you pull the electronics package out of the back, you will find it contains a relay that selects AC if it is available. The old version of that relay could be opened up. If you do, you will probably find some screwed up contacts that can be cleaned.

Just so you know, these units seen to only last about 40 years of serious use before they quit.

Matt
Old 05-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #4

1980 norcold

Quick update, thanks for responding, after taking back panel off it became clear very quickly what the problem was. burnt wires, transformer burned out, contact switch unit melted. Out with the old in with the new.
yolo2rv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, norcold, vintage