RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 7
2 Way Refrigerator vs Residential

Getting ready to order a Super C diesel w/ 6K gen and it comes with a standard 9cf house refrigerator and 1000w invertor. There is a option to move to a 7.5cf 2 way refrigerator. Iíve read a lot on them and seems like they use very little propane to run.

My question is if we plan on boondocking a lot which would be the better option? Leaning more toward the 2 way, but I donít have any real world experience.

Thoughts?
oktwindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Sweetbriar's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,100
Heavy boondocking, go with the 2 way propane model.
__________________
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53
Sweetbriar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24,156
My real world experience is with a 7.5 CF 120 volt only fridge on my boat.

It drew 1 amp @ 120 volts or 10 amps @12 volts thru the inverter. That includes the inverter idle draw of 1/2 amp.

Lived on anchor for 4 to 6 month stretches with about 800 AH of battery and 675 watts of solar. It was rare that we needed the backup generator, usually after 3 to 4 days at anchor in bad weather.

Since the fridge was pretty effecent, it ran about 1/3 the time, so the AH draw was less then 4 AH.
That's 96 AH a day, not to much to recoup with solar, even with a smaller battery bank.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
My real world experience is with a 7.5 CF 120 volt only fridge on my boat.

It drew 1 amp @ 120 volts or 10 amps @12 volts thru the inverter. That includes the inverter idle draw of 1/2 amp.

Lived on anchor for 4 to 6 month stretches with about 800 AH of battery and 675 watts of solar. It was rare that we needed the backup generator, usually after 3 to 4 days at anchor in bad weather.

Since the fridge was pretty effecent, it ran about 1/3 the time, so the AH draw was less then 4 AH.
That's 96 AH a day, not to much to recoup with solar, even with a smaller battery bank.

So would you say do a residential fridge then?
oktwindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
paul65k's Avatar


 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
My real world experience is with a 7.5 CF 120 volt only fridge on my boat.

It drew 1 amp @ 120 volts or 10 amps @12 volts thru the inverter. That includes the inverter idle draw of 1/2 amp.

Lived on anchor for 4 to 6 month stretches with about 800 AH of battery and 675 watts of solar. It was rare that we needed the backup generator, usually after 3 to 4 days at anchor in bad weather.

Since the fridge was pretty effecent, it ran about 1/3 the time, so the AH draw was less then 4 AH.
That's 96 AH a day, not to much to recoup with solar, even with a smaller battery bank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktwindad View Post
So would you say do a residential fridge then?
I agree with this. We have a 18.5CF newer residential fridge in our RV and we support it with a 1600W solar system and 840Ah battery bank.

I have tracked our fridge usage (ice marked disconnected) and we average about 108Ah usage per day. this is not very much if you have any kind of solar panels.

If you are planning on solar the way you like to camp I'd say yes for sure, without solar it's hard to justify unless you are on the move everyday charging your battery bank through the alternator.

The cooling properties of a compressor based unit (residential) is far superior to that of an absorption (2-way) fridge....IT JUST IS!!

Good luck with your choice.
__________________
Paul & Jean
2001 Alpine 36FDDS (74291) - 1600W Solar, 10,752 Wh (420Ah @24V) LiFePO4
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
I agree with this. We have a 18.5CF newer residential fridge in our RV and we support it with a 1600W solar system and 840Ah battery bank.

I have tracked our fridge usage (ice marked disconnected) and we average about 108Ah usage per day. this is not very much if you have any kind of solar panels.

If you are planning on solar the way you like to camp I'd say yes for sure, without solar it's hard to justify unless you are on the move everyday charging your battery bank through the alternator.

The cooling properties of a compressor based unit (residential) is far superior to that of an absorption (2-way) fridge....IT JUST IS!!

Good luck with your choice.

Thank you for the feedback. Weíll do solar at some point, but just need get in a situated first. First step is ordering the RV.
oktwindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktwindad View Post
So would you say do a residential fridge then?
I have a gas/electric fridge now, and its holding its own. On warmer days it needs to be turned up to the max setting to keep the ice cream hard.

If the fridge goes bad, a residential fridge will be installed. I already have it setup for inverter power.

That's what I would do.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:15 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 702
The two way fridge requires fire to work, and does not like off level. I would rather run the Benny from time to time. We have the Samsung RF18 and require an hour or two of generator per day. We do have a small ground deployed solar setup that is a big help even though it is just 120 watts.

We have 900ah of FLA Battery, so 450ah usable.
__________________
2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C. Towing 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
Elwood58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 38
Things may have improved, I had a 2004 and 2011 Toyhauler with 2 way fridges, they took longer to cool down, and struggled to keep up when over 90 outside. On my coach now we put in a residential and it stays cold even when it is over 100 outside, personally unless the 2 way units cool down better than they used to, I would never want one again. I live in the desert and a lot of our season is hot.
Leonandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:11 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
George Schweikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,873
A 3rd option is one of the new 12V compressor refrigerators. I don't have a link, but JC Refrigeration has a conversion for Ammonia Absorption refrigerators. https://jc-refrigeration.com/products/

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktwindad View Post
Getting ready to order a Super C diesel w/ 6K gen and it comes with a standard 9cf house refrigerator and 1000w invertor. There is a option to move to a 7.5cf 2 way refrigerator. Iíve read a lot on them and seems like they use very little propane to run.

My question is if we plan on boondocking a lot which would be the better option? Leaning more toward the 2 way, but I donít have any real world experience.

Thoughts?
__________________
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:46 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 7
Thanks everyone. I think Iíll stick with the residential
Fridge and apply the difference to a solar system.
oktwindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
refrigerator



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residential or non-Residential Refrigerator? DMacLeod Full-Timers 16 08-18-2020 06:23 AM
Is there a "good way" & a "better way" to ..... patterbery Full-Timers 13 11-09-2014 06:18 PM
Ride Height on 2000 Dyn the New way and Old way walt2137 Monaco Owner's Forum 20 05-20-2013 08:21 PM
Residential fridge - cooling while under way wanderso MH-General Discussions & Problems 11 04-16-2012 06:11 AM
Residential Refrigerator Compared to gas/Electrical Refrigerator seabee13 RV Systems & Appliances 5 05-13-2010 08:24 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.