RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #1

2 Way Refrigerator vs Residential

Getting ready to order a Super C diesel w/ 6K gen and it comes with a standard 9cf house refrigerator and 1000w invertor. There is a option to move to a 7.5cf 2 way refrigerator. Iíve read a lot on them and seems like they use very little propane to run.

My question is if we plan on boondocking a lot which would be the better option? Leaning more toward the 2 way, but I donít have any real world experience.

Thoughts?
oktwindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heavy boondocking, go with the 2 way propane model.
Old 10-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #3

My real world experience is with a 7.5 CF 120 volt only fridge on my boat.

It drew 1 amp @ 120 volts or 10 amps @12 volts thru the inverter. That includes the inverter idle draw of 1/2 amp.

Lived on anchor for 4 to 6 month stretches with about 800 AH of battery and 675 watts of solar. It was rare that we needed the backup generator, usually after 3 to 4 days at anchor in bad weather.

Since the fridge was pretty effecent, it ran about 1/3 the time, so the AH draw was less then 4 AH.
That's 96 AH a day, not to much to recoup with solar, even with a smaller battery bank.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

It drew 1 amp @ 120 volts or 10 amps @12 volts thru the inverter. That includes the inverter idle draw of 1/2 amp.

Lived on anchor for 4 to 6 month stretches with about 800 AH of battery and 675 watts of solar. It was rare that we needed the backup generator, usually after 3 to 4 days at anchor in bad weather.

Since the fridge was pretty effecent, it ran about 1/3 the time, so the AH draw was less then 4 AH.
That's 96 AH a day, not to much to recoup with solar, even with a smaller battery bank.

So would you say do a residential fridge then?
Old 10-01-2020, 01:23 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktwindad View Post
I agree with this. We have a 18.5CF newer residential fridge in our RV and we support it with a 1600W solar system and 840Ah battery bank.

I have tracked our fridge usage (ice marked disconnected) and we average about 108Ah usage per day. this is not very much if you have any kind of solar panels.

If you are planning on solar the way you like to camp I'd say yes for sure, without solar it's hard to justify unless you are on the move everyday charging your battery bank through the alternator.

The cooling properties of a compressor based unit (residential) is far superior to that of an absorption (2-way) fridge....IT JUST IS!!

Good luck with your choice.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
I agree with this. We have a 18.5CF newer residential fridge in our RV and we support it with a 1600W solar system and 840Ah battery bank.

I have tracked our fridge usage (ice marked disconnected) and we average about 108Ah usage per day. this is not very much if you have any kind of solar panels.

If you are planning on solar the way you like to camp I'd say yes for sure, without solar it's hard to justify unless you are on the move everyday charging your battery bank through the alternator.

The cooling properties of a compressor based unit (residential) is far superior to that of an absorption (2-way) fridge....IT JUST IS!!

Good luck with your choice.

Thank you for the feedback. Weíll do solar at some point, but just need get in a situated first. First step is ordering the RV.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
I have a gas/electric fridge now, and its holding its own. On warmer days it needs to be turned up to the max setting to keep the ice cream hard.

If the fridge goes bad, a residential fridge will be installed. I already have it setup for inverter power.

That's what I would do.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:15 PM   #8

The two way fridge requires fire to work, and does not like off level. I would rather run the Benny from time to time. We have the Samsung RF18 and require an hour or two of generator per day. We do have a small ground deployed solar setup that is a big help even though it is just 120 watts.

We have 900ah of FLA Battery, so 450ah usable.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #9

Things may have improved, I had a 2004 and 2011 Toyhauler with 2 way fridges, they took longer to cool down, and struggled to keep up when over 90 outside. On my coach now we put in a residential and it stays cold even when it is over 100 outside, personally unless the 2 way units cool down better than they used to, I would never want one again. I live in the desert and a lot of our season is hot.
Leonandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:11 PM   #10

A 3rd option is one of the new 12V compressor refrigerators. I don't have a link, but JC Refrigeration has a conversion for Ammonia Absorption refrigerators. https://jc-refrigeration.com/products/

Quote:
Getting ready to order a Super C diesel w/ 6K gen and it comes with a standard 9cf house refrigerator and 1000w invertor. There is a option to move to a 7.5cf 2 way refrigerator. Iíve read a lot on them and seems like they use very little propane to run.

My question is if we plan on boondocking a lot which would be the better option? Leaning more toward the 2 way, but I donít have any real world experience.

Thoughts?
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:46 AM   #11

Thanks everyone. I think Iíll stick with the residential
Fridge and apply the difference to a solar system.

Tags
refrigerator