Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2022, 09:26 PM   #1

Unhappy 220 into 110 only service

Hello everyone I have owned a number of motorhomes over the years and I recently bought a 1999 Winnebago class A. Apparently I think I know everything I need to know about RV's and didn't need to read the placards that was placed below my electrical connection,that plainly stated 110 service only. In all of my intelligence I connected it into a 220 service and have now smoked the convection microwave and none of the outlets are working. I disconnected from the land line 220 and started the generator to see if anything electrical would work. Initially after my major screw up the A/C,s wouldn't work either as there were 4 breakers tripped with one of them being the main. I reset the breakers and when I reset the main it instantaneously shut down the generator. I restarted the generator and and began systematically turning on the breakers to see if it was relegated to a single one. I think I have the problem sourced down to the Todd power switcher. Has anyone made the same mistake as I and what was the resulting damage or issues. Thanks for any and all comments
OldPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 10:18 PM   #2

I would not be firing my generator up and taking it online with a known damaged system. Hook up the proper 120v plug with all breakers off and start checking at the transfer switch first. Pull anything that has a plug on it, take the inverter offline, open the breakers on the charger, pull the refer 120. Get it as load free as possible. If you have an ac amp meter put it around the power cord and check it with each breaker or load you turn on. Do them one at a time. Turn the breaker back off before going to the next
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:41 PM   #3

How did you plug RV power cord into a 240V Receptacle???

240V will damage electronics due to high DC voltage, AC-DC Converter, any appliance that was on at the time
Check for burnt wire/insulation in Main Power Panel and inside the Auto Transfer Switch
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 05:58 AM   #4

Folks plug 30A RVs into 240V welder outlets all the time. Usually an "electrical expert" changes the outlet to fit the cord or makes an "adapter".

I've even seen many licensed electricians make the mistake.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:13 AM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions Shootist. In response I use this particular Rv as a broadcast station for live video of the SEGA drag racing events and this happened just hours before we were scheduled to leave out for the next event so I was pushed to either find a quick solution or further destroy it. I first unplugged anything that was connected into outlets including the refrigerator and all other connected accessories including the already smoked microwave. With the process I described in the original post I was fortunate enough the get the A/C systems back on an running to compensate for the other electrical systems I incorporated an external generator along with extension cords to run the video equipment. So the event is behind me now and I have approximately 4 weeks to have this thing repaired and ready to go again. From the best I can tell there is no damage to wiring or other systems. I think the issue is somehow within the Todd power switcher. Later today I am going to connect things like the refrigerator and battery charger to an external 110 power source bypassing the onboard power switcher and see hope that these systems are working ok. I will update as soon as I have something. Thanks again folks
Old 06-27-2022, 08:47 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You certainly were not the first and probably will not be the last to make the mistake.

Usually what dies in this situation is the microwave, TVs, clock radios, DVD players, and the AC to DC converter charger. Basically anything plugged in that doesn't have a physical on/off switch that removes power will be dead.

First priority is the converter/charger. Without the converter the batteries will run down then no fridge, no HVAC (thermostat runs off of DC), no water pump, no ceiling lights and such. The rest of the stuff TVs, microwave replace when your budget will support but DC power is the life blood of the coach.

And add to your list, get a 30AMP RV surge protector that also monitors power and will disconnect or not allow the connection if it doesn't like how the power tastes.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:18 PM   #7

Many of the no switch electronics have an internal fuse or a sacrificial diode between the ac line in and the neutral on the power board. Not an expert but we get a lot of lightening and I got tired of buying power boards for things in my house like TV's and stereo stuff.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:02 PM   #8

Thanks Sweetbriar. That is some good advice and suggestions.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:04 PM   #9

So Shootist did you buy some sort of no switch electronics to prevent the lightning surges. If so what type or brand did you buy. Thanks again for your help.

Tags
service