Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #1

3 AC unit question

I am getting ready to order a new Jayco NP fifth wheel. I am considering getting the third AC unit installed. I was told by a Jayco rep that only two compessors would run at a time but all three fans would run. They each have a separate thermostat. What would control this cycling of the front and rear AC unit? Can it be bypassed when needed? I know some will say three units are not needed but not really wanting to debate that in this thread. Thanks.
Scidlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 08:48 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The 5th wheel must just have a 30 amp system otherwise it would run all 3 with a 50 amp system.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The 5th wheel must just have a 30 amp system otherwise it would run all 3 with a 50 amp system.
It is 50 amp. I realize there is enough current to run all three but for some reason their technology shuts one down. Wondering how they do this?
Scidlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:01 PM   #4

Don't believe everything you read. 30 amp will not run 2 a/c's without popping breakers. You need 50 amp to run two or three a/c's. There is a control unit that switches between the 3 a/c's compressors running only two at a time. It's pretty seemless. I run all 3 in my rig and it's hard to tell which 2 compressors are running while all 3 fans are running at the same time. If you plan on being in the desert southwest in the heat of summer then get all 3 a/c's.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:10 PM   #5

I have three a/c units in my TT. It came with two and I installed the third. Mine are not controlled by any device; they are all independent and can run all at the same time — which we do when camping in upper 90 degree weather (and higher).

My TT is 50 amp, and requires that service to run all three. However, I often run two when plugged into 30 amp service (when 50 is not available). You can’t run a whole lot else when running two a/c units on 30 amp, but it can be done. I do it all of the time.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #6

Mine has 3 a/c and each has its own temp settings and sensors in coach. Will display set temp and actual temp in each zone
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes we can run all 3 on 50A but...

We only have one thermostat/controller and several zone sensors. The controller will prevent multiple compressors from "starting" at the same time. They can run at the same time but the initial starting is a significant surge of electricity.

Also depends on if you have (3) 1250s or (3) 1500s or some combination of.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Never had a rig with 3 A/C's so can't help with the question! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scidlik View Post
I am getting ready to order a new Jayco NP fifth wheel. I am considering getting the third AC unit installed. I was told by a Jayco rep that only two compessors would run at a time but all three fans would run. They each have a separate thermostat. What would control this cycling of the front and rear AC unit? Can it be bypassed when needed? I know some will say three units are not needed but not really wanting to debate that in this thread. Thanks.
To answer your question, a EMS (energy management system) would monitor and shed electrical loads in order to not overload the system. The fans themselves use very little power, that's why he said all 3 of those can run simultaneously. It's the compressors that take the power. And for sure you can't have 2 compressors starting at the same time, especially on 30 amps. There is a big surge when compressor starts up.

But with 50 amps power I would think you could run all 3 at the same time. You actually have 2 legs of 50 amps each. I'd ask the dealer to elaborate on why you can't run 3. Maybe it's a Jayco thing.

I'd definitely get the 3rd unit. You'll never say "I wished I only got 2 A/C's".
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote