Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2021, 11:21 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
30 amp power and air conditioners

We have 3 A/C units, 2 on zone 1 and 1 on zone 2. When connected to 30 amp power and trying to run zone 1, the fans start on both but then it sounds like 1 of them tries to start and then stops, and then the other tries to start and then stops. Is there just not enough power or is there a bigger problem?
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2021, 11:30 AM   #2

You can only run one of them on 30 amp shore power.

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would think you can run 1 ac. So turn on zone 2. Can you turn off one of the units for zone one.

You might h t be able to run zone 1 with two AC's if you turn your fridge and waterheater to propane.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:44 AM   #4

How long is the shore power cord, what gauge is it, and how long is the wiring to the 30A pedestal or wall receptacle?

Also, what is the no-load voltage on that line?
Old 09-17-2021, 11:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
How long is the shore power cord, what gauge is it, and how long is the wiring to the 30A pedestal or wall receptacle?

Also, what is the no-load voltage on that line?
The shore power cord is 25', the 30 Amp adapter is 18". I do not know what the gauge is, it is the cord that came with the coach.

No load voltage 121.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
The shore power cord is 25', the 30 Amp adapter is 18". I do not know what the gauge is, it is the cord that came with the coach.

No load voltage 121.
That pretty much lets out a low-voltage condition, especially under load. I would stick a voltmeter into a receptacle in the coach just to be sure by observing it while the A/C unit(s) try to start.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #7

Each AC will draw 12 to 15 amps.

You only have 30 amps to power every electrical device in the RV.

On 50 amp store power, because its 240 volts, you have 100 amps to power the RV, a significant difference.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:59 PM   #8

Don't forget to check your converter settings. Many have the ability to tell it if you are on a 10A, 20A, 30A or 50A source. Your converter charges your batterie(s) from one of the 120 VAC legs and can also easily consume over 10 amps if your batteries are low, and at least two or three under normal float conditions. You have to add that to the air conditioner amperages, too. Refrigerator, three or four amps. They add up quickly. I would not really even try to run two or more air conditioners on a 30 amp supply.

Our new Engetra Esteem 27U can run both of it's AC's pretty easily, but they are smaller and draw well under 10 amps each. But a lot of the newer class A's really aren't designed to be operated on 30 amp sources without some planning on your part to keep the load to a minimum.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:24 PM   #9

I am going to assume you have a Powerline EMS system and a Magum Inverter Remote panel in you One Place.

It is possible that your EMS is shedding the ac units. Toggle thru your EMS unit to see if the units show up has having been shed. If they have then note the amps required to bring it back on line. I would turn off the breaker to one of the units in zone 1.

With ac's off, note amps being used. Turn on ac in #2 zone and note the amps after units settles down. If you do not have enough amps, from 30, as noted above the units that have been shed will not start.

Running 2 ac's on 30 amps is a balancing act. We have a residential fridge, on the inverter circuit. Running 2 ac's take 27 to 28 amps. Fridge kicks on and inverter kicks in to power it. Fridge cycles off, charger kicks on, front ac will shed.

We spent some time this summer in Wall, SD when temps stayed over 100deg. During the day I turned off the battery charger, water heater on LP, ran at the limit of 27 to 29 amps all day. At nite I turned off the front ac and turned on battery charger to refill the batteries. Early morning I turned off charger and turned on front ac.

Rinse and repeat.

When we left 3 days later I had to replace the 50 to 30 amp dogbone, but we survived.

If you find that you have enough amps to run 2 units, but not enough to overcome the amps that the EMS says you need to restart, then run generator, run all 3 units for a time. This should remove the amps in the shed table. Back on 30 amps you should be able to run 2 ac units, and not much else. I would run 1 on zone 1 and the unit on zone 2.

Tags
air, air conditioner, power