Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
30A GFCI Shore Pedestal Breakers Broke

I recently encountered shore power pedestals with 30A GFCI breakers. One was at an Illinois State Park and the other at a Minnesota State Park. On both occasions, when I plugged my 50A couch into the pedestal via an adapter, I could not put shore power to my 3KW inverter/charger without tripping the pedestal GFCI breaker. Of course, without the charger portion of my inverter available, I could not recharge my batteries.

Note that this power scenario has not been a problem for me with non-GFCI 30A power pedestals, either before or since. Also, my 3KW inverter/charger works great, but it is 2001 technology.

I did some online research and found that this is becoming a significant problem for the marine industry. Boaters may not be able to use updated shore power that employs GFP (ground fault protection), a 2011 NEC mandated technology for marinas and shipyards similar to GFCI. Apparently the power up sequence of an inverter/charger can appear to the pedestal GFCI as a voltage leak, so TRIP.

One article even suggested going through a myriad of power up sequence scenarios from all breakers OFF, but none of those worked unless I left the inverter/charger OFF. (At one park, a tech even replaced the 30A GFCI breaker at the pedestal, but that did not help.) He also said the problem I was experiencing was all too common with their 30A GFCI, but not their 50A GFCI pedestals. Unfortunately, I was not able to test the latter scenario.

My question is, short of investing in a very expensive Isolation Transformer (or other equally expensive changes to the perfectly good power systems on my rig), does anyone have a reasonable solution for this? I hate to avoid state parks in my travels, but apparently many states are early adopters of 30A GFCI pedestal outlets.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #2

I have the same issue with my system. Everything in my coach is original and never have any issue with non-gfi service. If plugged into a GFI outlet it trips as soon as my inverter/battery charger comes online to charge house batteries. I plan to investigate solutions this winter but unable to provide any solutions at this time.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #3

Pick up a standalone converter charger.
Something like a GoPower 55 will handle the charging. Just wire it to the battery bank and plug it in. Leave the inverter/charger off.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #4

The problem is the clueless person who specified GFCI's for RV or Marine power connections. They are *NOT* the correct answer as the shore cord is part of the distribution system not a load branch circuit.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Pick up a standalone converter charger.
Something like a GoPower 55 will handle the charging. Just wire it to the battery bank and plug it in. Leave the inverter/charger off.

Thanks! I think this is a good workaround for the batteries, but there is an additional problem: the inverter also routes AC power to a bunch of outlets, regardless of the power source. No inverter also means no power to those outlets. That said, in the absence of a better solution, I think I will invest in a stand-alone charging system as a hedge.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:03 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Most building codes require a GFCI breaker for any 20 amp circuit so that is what happens when using a cheater( adaptor) using a 30 amp RV plug and a 20 amp plug to get you 50 Amps. The transfer switch causes the GFCI to read an extra ground and trips. I carry a non GFCI duplex plug and change it out if we stay in one spot for any length of time.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I can see them wanting gfi's for the 20a circuit. For the 30's, I dont know why they dont use EPD breakers that have a 30ma threshold. I am thinking the rfi suppression filters leak enough to trip the 5ma gfi's? But that's just a guess. I know its all about personal protection,but geez, how many people are plugging hand held appliances in a 30a. Its all about AHJ's.(authority having jurisdiction)

So yes....yes, a transformer would be needed to add to your arsenal or some new fangled device on the market.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
The problem is the clueless person who specified GFCI's for RV or Marine power connections. They are *NOT* the correct answer as the shore cord is part of the distribution system not a load branch circuit.
Agreed, as a former technician the main power distribution panel is in the coach not the pedestal.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:03 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have had that problem when I first connect and the charger starts a bulk or equalizing charge. I have found if I leave everything but the charger off for 15 minutes or so when the charger reduces its amp load it resolves the problem. The other work around I do if I want A/C immediately is turn the charger off until the A/C load is reduced.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
Most building codes require a GFCI breaker for any 20 amp circuit so that is what happens when using a cheater( adaptor) using a 30 amp RV plug and a 20 amp plug to get you 50 Amps. The transfer switch causes the GFCI to read an extra ground and trips. I carry a non GFCI duplex plug and change it out if we stay in one spot for any length of time.
Thanks Rkesseslus: I actually thought about making a run to Home Depot to buy a 30A non-GFCI breaker to swap out, but went to another campground instead. I have no doubt that any state park would frown on doing a breaker swap. And if I did it, I would surely forget to re-swap when I left.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:14 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
I have had that problem when I first connect and the charger starts a bulk or equalizing charge. I have found if I leave everything but the charger off for 15 minutes or so when the charger reduces its amp load it resolves the problem. The other work around I do if I want A/C immediately is turn the charger off until the A/C load is reduced.
Thanks, hypoxia. I'm not sure if I can turn the charger portion of the inverter OFF/ON, but if I can I'll certainly try this.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:30 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspryan View Post
Thanks, hypoxia. I'm not sure if I can turn the charger portion of the inverter OFF/ON, but if I can I'll certainly try this.

As a follow-up, it turns out that I can run my inverter with the charge function OFF. Next time I encounter a 30A GFCI, I will try Hypoxia’s method of power-up the inverter functions. If that doesn’t work, I’ll invest in an independent charging system.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:06 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also had this 30A GFCI problem. Ft Peck MT. Electrician said they were having this problem with newer 50A systems. Finally moved to a 50A pedistal.

Tags
breaker