Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2022, 05:19 PM   #1

5 gal water jug pump

Has anyone installed a seperate tap and pump to use with a 5 gal water jug
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 07:15 PM   #2

Are you wanting to draw drinking water into your RV from a 5 gal jug , rather that using the fresh tank ?
Old 05-20-2022, 08:08 PM   #3

Yes
Old 05-20-2022, 09:34 PM   #4

Install a Winterizing Kit on pump suction

Stick the tub in the jug, open the valve, turn pump on

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post
Has anyone installed a seperate tap and pump to use with a 5 gal water jug
I installed a separate pump to suck water from the city water inlet and pump it into the fresh water tank. Did this so I could refill the fresh water tank at state parks, where we camp mostly. I guess I could have just left the 5 gallon jug on the ground and used the winterize setting to suck it directly into the camper fresh water system, but I wanted the water in the tank so I could make multiple trips to get it full.

I suppose now I should tell you what I did? Well, to be honest, now that I look at it, I am having trouble deciphering the flow diagram.

This is my water control valve:

If I set this to Winterize/Sanitize fixtures and run a hose to the 5 gallon jug from the hose inlet on the right and then move another valve I have installed, magically, the water goes from my 5 gallon jug into the fresh water tank.

If yours is like that, I may be able to help. It sounds like you may want a separate input, so before I cornfuse myself and everyone else with trying to decipher my Rube Goldberg setup, let's see what you have first.

Maybe you can help me decipher it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4850.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	366139  
1200W Solar > 412 aH LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:02 PM   #6

I gather you want to use a 5 gallon refillable drinking water jug and have it come out a separate little faucet like "filtered water" does.

Did this on my daughter's truck camper. I pumped from 1 gallon jugs (cleaned out tea jugs with screw on caps). At home (I live in a converted bus) my drinking water is held in 3 gallon jugs. I bought "dew caps" to use on the jugs. Both the 1 gallon jugs and the 3 gallon jugs has a hole drilled into the cap to accept the plastic tubing. I reuse the same screw cap/dew cap. Since the hole is ever so slightly larger than the hose, air will just enter the water jug as the water level drops (needed) but very little will seep out, although I do put a cloth under the jugs, just in case.

You need a "drinking water faucet", a 1.0 gpm self priming demand water pump (otherwise the pressure is too great and it will cause problems) mounted thru either a hole in the countertop or in a "blank" hole in the sink deck and enough clear plastic tubing to go from the jug to the pump, then from the pump to the faucet.

This is what I used.

Drinking Water Faucet $14
amazon.com/gp/product/B08PSC727Y/

12vDC demand water pump $21
amazon.com/bayite-Pressure-Diaphragm-Priming-Sprayer/dp/B01N75ZIXF/

The tubing and hose clamps were bought from Home Depot.

Dew Cap Replacement (Pack of 12) (make sure you get the right size as there are a few different sizes of jug openings, read the reviews to find which one you will need) $15
amazon.com/gp/product/B0049JUUJO/
LMHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:39 PM   #7

I purchased a portable water pump. Runs on 2 D batteries that have lasted almost a year. We Boondokk a lot with a 31 gallon fresh water tank and I keep 4 six gallon water jugs full. I just move them to the tt fill area and stick the pump in the jugs to transfer. Takes about 3 min per jug. Simple, easy, uses no tt power and weighs less than a pound.
Larryneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:16 PM   #8

Thanks
Old 05-23-2022, 07:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryneu View Post
I purchased a portable water pump. Runs on 2 D batteries that have lasted almost a year. We Boondokk a lot with a 31 gallon fresh water tank and I keep 4 six gallon water jugs full. I just move them to the tt fill area and stick the pump in the jugs to transfer. Takes about 3 min per jug. Simple, easy, uses no tt power and weighs less than a pound.
Do you happen to have a link to that pump?
Lleaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:52 AM   #10

Ok, maybe I'm missing something here, but why not just install a filtered water faucet at the kitchen sink instead of all that rigamarole.

Whether city water or the fresh water tank your getting clean drinking water.

$42 bucks
Culligan EZ-Change Under-Sink Drinking Water Filtration System with Dedicated Faucet and Filter, 3,000 Gallon, Chrome

Replacement filers are $15.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:58 AM   #11

if you have an anti-freeze/winterization port, that will pump water into the RV.

the other option is to buy a replacement/spare water pump and just build a wire harness to use it. then you have a spare if your main goes down
Old 05-26-2022, 11:14 AM   #12

I just purchased it through Amazon.
Larryneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:15 PM   #13

I hate having to break camp while boondocking just to get water for the freshwater tank, diesel for the big Onan diesel generator, gas for the small Yamaha generator or propane for the furnace, range top, oven and barbeque grill.
My solution for the water problem is a liquid pump powered by 2 D cell batteries and the blue 5 gallon water jug with ball valve screw on cap with dispenser. I set it up on an empty 5 gallon bucket to make the batteries last longer and pump water into the gravity fill. Takes about 5 minutes. The pumps are about $12 on Amazon or at Harbor Freight. A Water Bandit comes in handy sometimes.
My solution for diesel is a different colored pump and a yellow plastic 5 gallon can. My solution for gasoline is 1 or 2 gallon red plastic gas cans. My solution for propane is a 20#/5 gallon DOT cylinder and an Extend-A-Stay permanently hooked up between my 40 gallon propane tank and its regulator.
The water jug, diesel can, gas cans and propane cylinder fit nicely in the back of the toad and all get refilled if necessary when I go into town for groceries and/or gas for the toad. Heckuva lot easier than breaking and setting up camp again once or twice a week.
... Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220526-124034.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	366640Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210926_135111967_HDR.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	366641
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is online now   Reply With Quote