Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2017, 06:17 PM   #1

5 seconds of black water after changing filter

Hi, i installed a new blue and white filter today outside, im hooked up to RV park water now. This time after i changed the filter to a new one, i got about 5 sec of black water out of the sink (cold water)

Is that normal?

Thanks
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2017, 06:23 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Sounds like you installed a charcoal filter. You should have run some water thru it before installing.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Yes, when installing a new charcoal filter. Most tell you on the label to run water through it for a minute or so before using it.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #4

I do not get black water out of my sink spigot. I use a filter on the hose to the camp water, but do not get black water at all.

I also drain all my hoses when done, I do not coil them. I make it a point to hang them, and let them drain.

Black water says to me that the water was most likely sitting for some time, growing cultures of one sort or another. I cannot imagine someone purposely putting black water into their potable water systems.

It is also possible that the black water you speak of was sitting in the camp hoses before you hooked up. This may depend on when the last time that spigot was used before you.

One trick I do all the time, but do no longer think of it much, is that before I hook up my camper hose to the campground spigot, I run the water from that spigot first. I watch to see that what comes out is clear.

I did find one time some years ago, the water was brownish for a few seconds before it turned white (clear). Perhaps it was worse for you this time, and that was the source of your black water.

Good luck.

Edit: While I was typing, better answers about charcoal filters were mentioned. Great idea. I use a paper filter with the charcoal in-bedded in a multi level filter media.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:52 PM   #5

X3 on Charcoal filters. If that is what you have/used, then perfectly normal.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:07 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
X3 on Charcoal filters. If that is what you have/used, then perfectly normal.
Yup, I put the Camco blue filter with charcoal @ the faucet, then turn the water on (not hooked up to rv hose just yet) and rattle the filter for a minute or so to expel any loose charcoal before hooking up to the coach supply hose.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:34 PM   #7

Every time, unless it's filtered out by a secondary filter, a new charcoal filter will do that.

I even made the mistake of drinking it with charcoal in it once, I'm still here, no ill effects.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:37 AM   #8

Always flush the new or used filter and hoses before attaching to the RV. Shaking the filter while flushing will remove some loose media.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, that's normal. We always run the water for at least 30 seconds after changing a filter. If it's the Camco blue in-line filter outside, I run it before connecting to the MH.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Every time, unless it's filtered out by a secondary filter, a new charcoal filter will do that.

I even made the mistake of drinking it with charcoal in it once, I'm still here, no ill effects.

DTW
I ate my steak last night off the BBQ like that. Tasted pretty good actually.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:25 AM   #11

Assuming this is the under sink, or in line carbon based filter, it is perfectly normal to get some "carbon fines" (what we call it in the water business). Harmless, and disappear after a couple gallons of flushing through a new filter. These "fines" are normally very small, and pass through your Faucet screen.
For in line filters, like installed on outside hose supply, you can run a couple gallons through them prior to hooking to RV to flush.
There are different types of carbon filters, some impregnated (solid) have no fines. The type that when unused, if you shake it and can hear some carbon movement will need a little flushing.
Luckyme1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water