Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-05-2022, 06:54 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 554
50 amp question

I just ran 50 amp out to my parking area, from new 50 dual pole Square D outside to a 4 wire outlet, ran a new extension cord to the coach cord, all 6/3 proper stuff. The coach says it sees 50 amps. Only the rear air-conditioner will work. I started the generator and the front a/c turned on immediately, so my electrical work is suspect. I shut off the generator and plugged in plain old 110v and both A/C's work. Plugged in the suspect new 50 amp and front A/C clicks but will not turn on. Any pointers ? Should I see 120 V on each leg of the hot ? Not quite sure how the coach reads 50 amps if the two legs are not correct.

Thanks.
__________________
2004 Safari Cheetah PDQ 330 Cat
2020 Ram EcoDiesel toad
USAF SERE
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2022, 07:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
KenZ71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Back Woods of NC
Posts: 774
I also don't follow how the coach see 50 but everything don't work.

To check your work and / or wires try flipping the two hot wires on the square D breaker.

If issue is the same that would make me think breaker and wire is not the issue. Of course this all all assuming you have checked all connections are tight, properly grounded, volt meter indicates all is good, etc.
__________________
2012 Newmar King Aire w/ Roadmaster Falcon 2 Tow Bar
2020 Cherokee Trailhawk w/ Blue Ox Base Plate
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:02 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Old-Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 22,096
50A Service is TWO 50A Hots....each hot capable of 50A

TWO Hots, One Neutral, one ground

Test that new outlet for 120VAC
One side slot to Neutral....120V
Other side slot to Neutral....120V
One side slot to ground...120V
Other side slot to Ground...120V
One side slot to other side slot....240V
Neutral to ground......OV

Same with extension cord
Same at transfer switch wire connections (suspect)

__________________
I took my Medication today. HAVE YOU?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:08 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 554
Thanks to both for the advice, will start at the board tomorrow. Dang it, that was a chore and hopefully it's simple. Need the coach for my visiting kids with new grand baby, A/C is a must ! By the way on my board - ground and neutral are terminated on the same bus (not bonded) and I researched forever to ensure that was normal.
__________________
2004 Safari Cheetah PDQ 330 Cat
2020 Ram EcoDiesel toad
USAF SERE
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:21 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
Thanks to both for the advice, will start at the board tomorrow. Dang it, that was a chore and hopefully it's simple. Need the coach for my visiting kids with new grand baby, A/C is a must ! By the way on my board - ground and neutral are terminated on the same bus (not bonded) and I researched forever to ensure that was normal.
If they are on the same buss they are bonded. Neutral goes back to your main breaker panel ( meter) separate from the ground. At the main they are bonded. If you have 4 wires running from your main breaker panel to the coach, via whatever route the work is done. Pictures of the breaker panel would help. Ps , we only think we know what you are talking about when you say board. There isn't a board involved unless you have power shedding inside the coach.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
If they are on the same buss they are bonded. Neutral goes back to your main breaker panel ( meter) separate from the ground. At the main they are bonded. If you have 4 wires running from your main breaker panel to the coach, via whatever route the work is done. Pictures of the breaker panel would help. Ps , we only think we know what you are talking about when you say board. There isn't a board involved unless you have power shedding inside the coach.
I just turned it all off and cracked a Modelo - I will check that issue out first thing. It didn't make sense to me but my whole house panel seems wired that way. I have 4 wires running to the coach. Just not correctly lol. Luckily I have time before guests.
__________________
2004 Safari Cheetah PDQ 330 Cat
2020 Ram EcoDiesel toad
USAF SERE
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:53 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Old-Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 22,096
Start Testing AT THE NEW OUTLET
IF good
Then test that NEW EXTENSION CORD plugged into the outlet
IF good
Then test at the Auto Transfer Switch
If good
Then test inside the RV Main AC Power Panel
(which is good because Gen supplies power OK)
__________________
I took my Medication today. HAVE YOU?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor & NUWA 5vr
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:28 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 554
Actually I stopped at one Modelo because it was killing me and I always start at the breaker, which was happy with 240 volts. It was the neutral, now resolved and fully functional with both AC's running.

Thanks for all the help gents. Cold Modelos on me when our paths cross.
__________________
2004 Safari Cheetah PDQ 330 Cat
2020 Ram EcoDiesel toad
USAF SERE
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:53 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
geordi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
Actually I stopped at one Modelo because it was killing me and I always start at the breaker, which was happy with 240 volts. It was the neutral, now resolved and fully functional with both AC's running.

Thanks for all the help gents. Cold Modelos on me when our paths cross.
Glad you found it. I suspected it could be the neutral - especially with 50a extension cables. You should open up the ends of any cables that you can open, and install crimped metal ferrules on the wire ends. I have a number of cables that I use professionally, and the neutrals were CONSTANTLY pulling free of the connection - until I started using ferrules on the wire ends. Now the only thing I need to deal with is pins getting bent or ground down from hitting the pavement, and overall cheap cable ends.
__________________
02 40' Monaco Diplomat: 1020 watts solar, Victron inverter. FASS, TRW steering, 23 cuft Frigidaire, D/W, W/D, Magneshade, Wood Floor, New cabinets, diesel heater
geordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:29 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
Glad you found it. I suspected it could be the neutral - especially with 50a extension cables. You should open up the ends of any cables that you can open, and install crimped metal ferrules on the wire ends. I have a number of cables that I use professionally, and the neutrals were CONSTANTLY pulling free of the connection - until I started using ferrules on the wire ends. Now the only thing I need to deal with is pins getting bent or ground down from hitting the pavement, and overall cheap cable ends.

This is a sealed until with m/f fittings, actually a great deal at $188 compared to running 6/3 either bury ready or using conduit. That is why I went that way. The costs of cable are off the charts. So, I just put an outlet through the concrete wall and ran the extension out to the coach...and I can just break the whole thing down as needed and/or take the extension with me. The quality of the extension is superior to bury ready.
__________________
2004 Safari Cheetah PDQ 330 Cat
2020 Ram EcoDiesel toad
USAF SERE
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"NORCOLD & DOMETIC RECALLS" & Service Manuals Norcold & Dometic "007" RV Systems & Appliances 89 07-18-2019 04:41 PM
Generator Maintenance & MANUALS Onan & Generac & PARTS "007" RV Systems & Appliances 34 07-06-2019 02:09 AM
Dumb & Lazy Question #2: Chassis battery charging during storage cment Truck Conversions 1 12-16-2018 03:08 PM
February "Celebrity Classic" Meal Signups Madame Boomer Texas Boomers 29 02-06-2018 06:55 PM
2011 RV chassis Mods & parts & Tech info new & old chassis "007" Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 4 09-27-2011 07:26 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.