Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2022, 06:54 PM   #1

50 amp question

I just ran 50 amp out to my parking area, from new 50 dual pole Square D outside to a 4 wire outlet, ran a new extension cord to the coach cord, all 6/3 proper stuff. The coach says it sees 50 amps. Only the rear air-conditioner will work. I started the generator and the front a/c turned on immediately, so my electrical work is suspect. I shut off the generator and plugged in plain old 110v and both A/C's work. Plugged in the suspect new 50 amp and front A/C clicks but will not turn on. Any pointers ? Should I see 120 V on each leg of the hot ? Not quite sure how the coach reads 50 amps if the two legs are not correct.

Thanks.
Iceclimber is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2022, 07:01 PM   #2

I also don't follow how the coach see 50 but everything don't work.

To check your work and / or wires try flipping the two hot wires on the square D breaker.

If issue is the same that would make me think breaker and wire is not the issue. Of course this all all assuming you have checked all connections are tight, properly grounded, volt meter indicates all is good, etc.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:02 PM   #3

50A Service is TWO 50A Hots....each hot capable of 50A

TWO Hots, One Neutral, one ground

Test that new outlet for 120VAC
One side slot to Neutral....120V
Other side slot to Neutral....120V
One side slot to ground...120V
Other side slot to Ground...120V
One side slot to other side slot....240V
Neutral to ground......OV

Same with extension cord
Same at transfer switch wire connections (suspect)

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:08 PM   #4

Thanks to both for the advice, will start at the board tomorrow. Dang it, that was a chore and hopefully it's simple. Need the coach for my visiting kids with new grand baby, A/C is a must ! By the way on my board - ground and neutral are terminated on the same bus (not bonded) and I researched forever to ensure that was normal.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
Thanks to both for the advice, will start at the board tomorrow. Dang it, that was a chore and hopefully it's simple. Need the coach for my visiting kids with new grand baby, A/C is a must ! By the way on my board - ground and neutral are terminated on the same bus (not bonded) and I researched forever to ensure that was normal.
If they are on the same buss they are bonded. Neutral goes back to your main breaker panel ( meter) separate from the ground. At the main they are bonded. If you have 4 wires running from your main breaker panel to the coach, via whatever route the work is done. Pictures of the breaker panel would help. Ps , we only think we know what you are talking about when you say board. There isn't a board involved unless you have power shedding inside the coach.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
If they are on the same buss they are bonded. Neutral goes back to your main breaker panel ( meter) separate from the ground. At the main they are bonded. If you have 4 wires running from your main breaker panel to the coach, via whatever route the work is done. Pictures of the breaker panel would help. Ps , we only think we know what you are talking about when you say board. There isn't a board involved unless you have power shedding inside the coach.
I just turned it all off and cracked a Modelo - I will check that issue out first thing. It didn't make sense to me but my whole house panel seems wired that way. I have 4 wires running to the coach. Just not correctly lol. Luckily I have time before guests.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:53 PM   #7

Start Testing AT THE NEW OUTLET
IF good
Then test that NEW EXTENSION CORD plugged into the outlet
IF good
Then test at the Auto Transfer Switch
If good
Then test inside the RV Main AC Power Panel
(which is good because Gen supplies power OK)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:28 PM   #8

Actually I stopped at one Modelo because it was killing me and I always start at the breaker, which was happy with 240 volts. It was the neutral, now resolved and fully functional with both AC's running.

Thanks for all the help gents. Cold Modelos on me when our paths cross.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
Actually I stopped at one Modelo because it was killing me and I always start at the breaker, which was happy with 240 volts. It was the neutral, now resolved and fully functional with both AC's running.

Thanks for all the help gents. Cold Modelos on me when our paths cross.
Glad you found it. I suspected it could be the neutral - especially with 50a extension cables. You should open up the ends of any cables that you can open, and install crimped metal ferrules on the wire ends. I have a number of cables that I use professionally, and the neutrals were CONSTANTLY pulling free of the connection - until I started using ferrules on the wire ends. Now the only thing I need to deal with is pins getting bent or ground down from hitting the pavement, and overall cheap cable ends.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
Glad you found it. I suspected it could be the neutral - especially with 50a extension cables. You should open up the ends of any cables that you can open, and install crimped metal ferrules on the wire ends. I have a number of cables that I use professionally, and the neutrals were CONSTANTLY pulling free of the connection - until I started using ferrules on the wire ends. Now the only thing I need to deal with is pins getting bent or ground down from hitting the pavement, and overall cheap cable ends.

This is a sealed until with m/f fittings, actually a great deal at $188 compared to running 6/3 either bury ready or using conduit. That is why I went that way. The costs of cable are off the charts. So, I just put an outlet through the concrete wall and ran the extension out to the coach...and I can just break the whole thing down as needed and/or take the extension with me. The quality of the extension is superior to bury ready.