Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-09-2023, 04:06 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Blount County TN
Posts: 274
50 Amp Surge Protector With 30 Amp Coach

We are likely downsizing and selling our Jayco Precept 31UL and moving on to a Sprinter model. The Precept has 50 amp service and the Sprinters 30. I have a Progressive Industries portable surge protector for the Precept. Would like to use that with a 50-30 amp adapter. Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't?

Thanks!
__________________
Mickey Richaud
2023 Winnebago View 24D
2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2023, 06:34 AM   #2
Community Moderator


 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 4,125
Suggest getting a 30 amp surge protector for your 30 amp rv https://www.rvtalk.net/30-amp-and-50...s%20irrelevant.
__________________
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 36SSWS / 2016 Ford F-350 6.7L diesel crew cab long bed 4x2 DRW
2022 Thor Palazzo 33.6 diesel pusher / 2021 Chevy Equinox LT AWD toad
Camp CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:11 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Old-Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 25,560
I have a 50A RV ---use a 50A portable surge protector
I have a 30A to 50A adapter and used it MANY times at 30A CG sites

Plug in my 30A/50A adaptor..........50A surge protector......50A R Power cord

30A adaptor has jumper that provides AC to both legs of 50A
Surge Protector recognizes full voltage on both legs........you just have 30A total available so you must manage/limit your AC usage

50A is 6000W per Leg=12000W tota;
30A is 3600W total

The 50A Surge Protector looks at Voltage which is same be it 50A, 30A or even 20/15A


YES you can use your 50A surge protector with 30A RV....just need 30A to 50A Adaptor

__________________
I took my Medication today. HAVE YOU?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 11:21 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Blount County TN
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I have a 50A RV ---use a 50A portable surge protector
I have a 30A to 50A adapter and used it MANY times at 30A CG sites

Plug in my 30A/50A adaptor..........50A surge protector......50A R Power cord

30A adaptor has jumper that provides AC to both legs of 50A
Surge Protector recognizes full voltage on both legs........you just have 30A total available so you must manage/limit your AC usage

50A is 6000W per Leg=12000W tota;
30A is 3600W total

The 50A Surge Protector looks at Voltage which is same be it 50A, 30A or even 20/15A


YES you can use your 50A surge protector with 30A RV....just need 30A to 50A Adaptor

As mentioned, I do have a 30 to 50 amp adapter, but it's reversed from the one in your picture - 30 amp female to 50 amp male. In my scenario, the 50 amp side of the adapter would plug into the surge protector (which would be plugged into the power pedestal) where the 50 amp cord from a coach would go, and the male plug of the 30 amp cord from the new coach would plug into the adapter. I just want to be sure I wouldn't be compromising anything by doing so.
__________________
Mickey Richaud
2023 Winnebago View 24D
2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 12:59 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Old-Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 25,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
As mentioned, I do have a 30 to 50 amp adapter, but it's reversed from the one in your picture - 30 amp female to 50 amp male. In my scenario, the 50 amp side of the adapter would plug into the surge protector (which would be plugged into the power pedestal) where the 50 amp cord from a coach would go, and the male plug of the 30 amp cord from the new coach would plug into the adapter. I just want to be sure I wouldn't be compromising anything by doing so.
YES that works.

50A to 30A adaptor




50A Surge Protector>>>Power pedestal>>>>50A/30A adapter>>>30A RV Power cord

Surge protector senses L1 & L2 voltage....adapter uses only ONE Hot leg to fed the 30A RV

__________________
I took my Medication today. HAVE YOU?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 02:37 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Blount County TN
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
YES that works.

50A to 30A adaptor




50A Surge Protector>>>Power pedestal>>>>50A/30A adapter>>>30A RV Power cord

Surge protector senses L1 & L2 voltage....adapter uses only ONE Hot leg to fed the 30A RV

OK - thanks again!
__________________
Mickey Richaud
2023 Winnebago View 24D
2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 08:36 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Posts: 4,610
Too many adapters?

I agree, it will work. However, using many adapters and extension cords will limit voltage when high current is flowing.

If you never draw more than 20 amps, there will be no problem. But, if you get up in the range near 30 amps, the voltage loss in each set of contacts will start to cut down voltage.

One engineering source suggests no more than one adapter or extension cord in addition to the main 30 amp shore power cord is all that is allowed.

A 30 to 50 adapter plugged into the pedestal is one. The surge protector is two, the 50 to 30 adapter plugged into the surge protector is three.

At least make sure all those pins and sockets are clean and in good condition.
__________________
Paul Bristol
Kodiak Cub 176RD
Nissan Pathfinder 2015
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 08:47 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Old-Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 25,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
I agree, it will work. However, using many adapters and extension cords will limit voltage when high current is flowing.

If you never draw more than 20 amps, there will be no problem. But, if you get up in the range near 30 amps, the voltage loss in each set of contacts will start to cut down voltage.

One engineering source suggests no more than one adapter or extension cord in addition to the main 30 amp shore power cord is all that is allowed.

A 30 to 50 adapter plugged into the pedestal is one. The surge protector is two, the 50 to 30 adapter plugged into the surge protector is three.

At least make sure all those pins and sockets are clean and in good condition.
OP is going to plug his 50A Surge Protector into Power Pedestal
Then 50A/30A adapter>>>>then his new 30A RV Power Cord

Simple...easy and not an issue
__________________
I took my Medication today. HAVE YOU?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:33 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 410
While doable, why not get a 30amp PI or Hughes WD to be used on a 30 amp pedestel.
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:40 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Old-Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 25,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllegroD View Post
While doable, why not get a 30amp PI or Hughes WD to be used on a 30 amp pedestel.
Because OP already has the 50A Surge Protector & proper adapter

Frugal!
__________________
I took my Medication today. HAVE YOU?
Dodge 3500 w/Tractor Motor
US NAVY---USS Decatur DDG-31
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:41 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
dons2346's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllegroD View Post
While doable, why not get a 30amp PI or Hughes WD to be used on a 30 amp pedestel.

Why not use the equipment the OP has? From what I have seen, the 30 amp socket is pretty beat up while the 50 amp plug is in good shape.
__________________
Don
2002 Country Coach Intrigue
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:46 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,128
You will be just fine using the unit you have. I have even used it a few time on 15/20 amp connections. As mentioned, keep all of those dog bones clean.

I am sure you will have lots of other things to spend your money on.
__________________
2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C. Towing 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
Elwood58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 03:35 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Blount County TN
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
You will be just fine using the unit you have. I have even used it a few time on 15/20 amp connections. As mentioned, keep all of those dog bones clean.

I am sure you will have lots of other things to spend your money on.
Thanks!
__________________
Mickey Richaud
2023 Winnebago View 24D
2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 04:19 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Berryfarmer's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Because OP already has the 50A Surge Protector & proper adapter

Frugal!
Hereís my advice on why the OP should get the 30 amp surge protector. He now has a 30 amp RV. He makes reservations for 30 amp so he gets a space with only a 30 amp plug. The number of adapters goes back to where itís not safe to use so many (or have the space to carry them). Also letís say he reserves a 30 amp and the small CG owner notices heís plugged into the 50 amp (with adapter for 30 of course) and now he has to explain that heís really only using 30 amps. Why not do the right thing and use the right tool for the job?
__________________
Larry & Laura
2021 Entegra Anthem 44 W
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
30 amp, 50 amp, coach



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is a 50 amp surge protector ok for 30 amp coach? Excursion04 RV Systems & Appliances 6 12-18-2020 01:21 PM
Is a 50 amp surge protector ok for 30 amp coach? Fla2RI RV Systems & Appliances 8 03-09-2018 07:30 AM
Using a 50 amp surge protector with 30 & 15 amp RV Vagabond iRV2.com General Discussion 14 04-22-2017 07:18 PM
Surge Guard or Progressive Industries Surge Protector ? VACMAN Newmar Owner's Forum 41 08-20-2009 10:22 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.