Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #1

50amp to 30 amp connector/adapter

Does this adapter allow running both ac units at the same time?
nazoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 04:03 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
No... Your looking for a 'cheater' adaptor that has a 20amp plug added..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:10 AM   #3

And if the 20 amp has a GFI it will trip every time you plug it in. Tried it, it did not work. Bypassed surge protector to plug into 30 amp....to much risk.
2fasttoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:20 AM   #4

Commercial Member

nazoomer,

The 50 to 30 adapter (also known as a "dog bone") only allows a 50 Amp service RV the capability of plugging into a 30 Amp outlet.

However, when you do this, you are actually reducing your electrical capability by 70%.

A 50 Amp service RV is capable of running 12,000 watts worth of equipment. When adapted down, the same RV is only capable of running 3,600 watts worth of equipment. Hence the 70% drop in capability.

This all has to do with the available amps at the "plugged into" outlet at the post.

So...you will not be able to run two large amp draw appliances (like two A/Cs or one A/C and one M/W), at the same time.

You may want to read THIS blog page for more information about RV electricity.
SUMDALUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #5

Respectfully, the OP can't be answered accurately without information about the rig and equipment in question. He MAY be able to run both on 30A.

I successfully run both A/Cs on 30A and only use 20A doing it. Care must be taken to monitor current draw, but it can be done with the right equipment.

Steve
Old 09-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazoomer View Post
Does this adapter allow running both ac units at the same time?
My Itasca has a dual compressor basement air. I have been using it on 30 A and both ACs run nicely at about 22-24A. No 20A addon. My rig has a power load controller so when the water heater comes on, the second compressor shuts down. Same w/µwave.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To clarify, Do you want to run a 30A coach using the 50/30 adapter or a 50A coach on a 30A outlet?

If it is the former (30A coach on a 50A outlet) it may allow you to run both A/C's. You will still only have 30 amp available because of your coaches circuit protection set at 30A. I have a 'box' that came with my MH that monitors the power used by the A/C units. If the 'post power' is weak on 30A this 'box' will alternate the compressors on and off. I have used my 50/30A 'dog-bone' adapter when this happens and I am able to run both A/C units. If everything is good at the power post and your shore cable, you will not gain a thing. Bottom line is, you need to know the current draw of your A/C's and that will let you know how much current required and if what you want to do is possible. Keep in mind that it takes almost twice the running power to start a compressor. So you may be able to start one unit, wait 5-10 min and start the other. Hopes this helps a little.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The adapter neither allows nor disallows.. The 30 amp park breaker will not (Most likely) not allow both air conditioners to run at the same time (That said I have done it, twice)

If you want to try, go ahead, But before you do remove the covers (Top cover and inner cover on the condenser coils) and clean clean clean.

The common "Cheater box" with the two 30 amp plugs and a 15 amp adapter for one wil not work on a 30+20 amp hookup, it will trip the GFCI on the 20 amp, if it does not then eitehr 1: NO GFCI or 2: Defective GFCI, becuse it should trip them

It may work if you can snag two 30 amp outlets but the person on the site next to you will NOT be happy with that set up since one of those is his.

If the site is back up THIS will work: http://www.psrv.net

Appears it is stil down.. PSRV = Power Solutions RV you can perhaps google it. and look at the cached page.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #9

Nazoomer,

Can you give us a little information about your rig and the A/Cs attached?

I wouldn't buy anything until I had asked questions (which you have) and did a lot of research or performed some practical experiments. Your rig might work OK as is or it might not.

Speak to us.

Steve