Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
5w 12v Portable Solar Panel

I don't have shore power where I store my MH and want to get a solar panel to "help" my engine battery. I need a recommendation for a 5w 12v solar panel with alligator clips. I'd like the cables to be at least eight feet long but that's probably asking too much.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #2

I bought one at Harbor Freight on sale for $35. I made a stand out of scrap metal that I had laying around and faced it south. I left the gas detector on so that there would be a slight load on the system. Once a month I would check the Batteries and would add distilled water as needed. Bought a battery fill bottle from NAPA $15 It worked well. My trailer was stored on a friends land and was looked in on almost every day. If you are renting a spot to store your MH then you may have to place on the roof ( out of site, out of mind) . If you don't it may grow legs and walk. Remember to place a note to remind you it is there,( Roof). Hope this helps Joe
Old 12-02-2011, 04:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Just a thought from an electrically challenged member:

1) A 5W panel seems awfully small. I take it that your Suncruiser have two battery banks and maybe more than one battery in each bank?

2) Larger solar panels will need a controller between your panel and your batteries.

3) Assuming that you have two battery banks you may want to add something like the Trik-L-Start. This will enable both battery banks to be charged.

I am sure that more electrically minded members will share their knowledge.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post

1) A 5W panel seems awfully small. I take it that your Suncruiser have two battery banks and maybe more than one battery in each bank?

2) Larger solar panels will need a controller between your panel and your batteries.

3) Assuming that you have two battery banks you may want to add something like the Trik-L-Start. This will enable both battery banks to be charged.

Trust me, you CAN'T as eletrically challenged as I am!.

1. Yes, two house batteries and one engine battery.

2. As I understand, a controller isn't needed for 10w and below.

3. I can't use a Trik -L-Start or anything that requires power.

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Battery Tender 10 Watt Solar Charger

Here is a quality 10W solar charger with built in controller.

Also get the Trik L Start. It does NOT need an outside power source.

Both your chassis and house batteries will be maintained if they are fully charged to begin with.

The above solar charger is also available in a 15W model. There is an extension available for longer reaches to the battery.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I recently added a 10W solar charger and a Ultra Trik-L-Start 5 Amp Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer. After a month of monitoring, this setup is just working. During periods of cloudy days, the batteries (2 Trojan T-105 and average chassis) will drop below fully charged specs. A day or two of good sun brings them back up.

My 10W panel only puts out 0.6 AMPS and that's only during full sun. If you want to keep all 3 batteries charged and maintained, I would stay away from a 5W panel. If I had to do it over again, I would go 15 - 20W.
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
What Jlyon69 said is dead on. You will be unhappy with a 5W.

Here is my set up.

I have 2- 12V starting batteries and 3- 12V deep cycle house batteries.
My coach has a built in 10W solar charger. In the summer in sunny So. Calif, and usage of motorhome I do just fine.
But come wintertime and lower sun I add another 9W portable to the roof for a total of 19W and still if I get lots of days of clouds etc. I have to go down, start the genny and watch TV for a bit.
Usually about 2-3 times for the winter duration.
I have the TrikLStart also. It does just what it advertises, a nice product.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtime View Post
Battery Tender 10 Watt Solar Charger

Here is a quality 10W solar charger with built in controller.

Also get the Trik L Start. It does NOT need an outside power source.

Both your chassis and house batteries will be maintained if they are fully charged to begin with.

The above solar charger is also available in a 15W model. There is an extension available for longer reaches to the battery.
Great info, thanks. I'll follow up on your recommendation. I didn't realize that the Trik l start didn't need power so I'll buy at least one of those as well for my two house batteries.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Denny

If you go the solar and the trikLStart. Hook the solar panel to your house batteries. Then install the TrikLstart per instructions.
Dont hook the solar to your chassis batteries.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtime View Post
Denny

If you go the solar and the trikLStart. Hook the solar panel to your house batteries. Then install the TrikLstart per instructions.
Dont hook the solar to your chassis batteries.
You beat me to the punch. I went to the Trik-L-Start web site and they say that it was supposed to be hooked up to the starting battery and I thought Hmmm. So that answered that question.

I also forgot to mention that I have a 10w (I think) panel hard wired on the MH for the coach batteries. I gather that I can still use the Trik-L-Start with the solar panel, correct? Also, I exercise the MH every month, at the very least revving the engine for 2200 rpm for 20 minutes and using all the other systems, including generator to put a load on the batteries. If I attach the Trik-L-Start to the engine battery but don't drive away, do I have to detach it before I exercise the battery in place?

So now I guess I don't need to buy aother solar panel for the starting battery, just buy the Trik-L-Start for it. Am I correct?
Old 12-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
The TrikLStart is a permanent installation. The instructions will show two ways to hook it up. Direct on the batteries or via the battery isolator solonoid.
I would think taking the motorhome for a drive is better than just running it stationary, but to each his own.
personally, When I shut mine down it doesnt start again until I use it next, but mine is a diesel and I have to drive it to get the engine oil warm.
I am sure your Itasca is the same as mine, a 10W solar charger. If your little red light is glowing on your inside panel it should be working.
I have no idea where your battery isolator solonoid is located,so perhaps some others who have allready done this installation on your type of coach can chime in with the best procedure.
The instructions will show a way Winnebago hooks it up to the house battery disconnect solonoid. Do not do it this way as then to make it work your house battery disconnect switch will have to be ON, which is bad, because of the parasitic draws of the smoke detectors etc.Hook it up the battery ISOLATOR solonoid. Make sence or is it clear as mud, hope I expained it OK.

Click on PHOTOS--then SEARCH---Then Search by username--RCtime.

You will see photos of my TrikLstart installation with the wires hooked to my battery isolator solonoid.
Good luck
Old 12-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If that is the panel I think it is (The one Harbor Freight sells) nice toy, not much good for real life though. Some math.. at 12 volts (Really 13.6) five watts is less than 1/2 of one amp. (50/136 = 0.36764705882352941176470588235294 amp per Calc)

That's not enough to make a noticeable difference. And what's more.. I'm not sure it's diode protected (If I'd not damaged the one I had I'd test it) if it's not diode protected then when it's dark out it runs the batteries DOWN.

On, and practically. You won't even get half of that current rate.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post

I meant to get back to you earlier and thank you for the suggestions, particularly about Trik-L-Start. I didn't realize that it didn't need shore power and now that I do, I ordered one. Thanks again for bringing it up.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
I meant to get back to you earlier and thank you for the suggestions, particularly about Trik-L-Start. I didn't realize that it didn't need shore power and now that I do, I ordered one. Thanks again for bringing it up.
You are most welcome I assure you. I am happy to chip in whenever possible. You would not believe the amount of good advice I have received myself over the last few years - especially on electrical matters.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar