Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2021, 12:43 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
7.5kw Onan QD Genny problems

So my Genny starts fine, but shuts down on its own all the time.

I see 2 blinks when I check code and hit prime button again and stops blinking. I think that means “Low Oil Pressure”

There is no rhyme or reason to when it shuts diwn. Under load or running idle. Sometimes 5 minutes sometimes 20 minutes.

I have to check the lights on the genny itself because I have no light on my internal switch any more.

It has been going on for about a minth regularly. Before it would do it once, then run fine.

Changed oil/filter, air filter, coolant flysh, and fuel filter - no change

Thoughts please

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 06:57 AM   #2

SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post

When I push down 3 times, I get nothing. When I push 1 time I get 2 blinks. When I push the second time the 2 blinks go away. When I push the 3rd time I get my 2 blinks back.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:35 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
Good info! Thanks Kirk!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:24 AM   #5

If the code the genny is flashing on auto shutdown is low oil pressure you might check the continuity of the wire going to the oil pressure sensor. If the oil pressure switch looses continuity the genny computer module thinks the generator has lost oil pressure and auto shuts it down.

This happened to me and was very inconsistent like most things electrical. I will warn you that the oil pressure sensor is very difficult to get to. It was impossible for me to get to the oil pressure sensor to tighten the small nut securing the wire to the sensor.

The proper procedure to get to the oil pressure sensor is to remove the radiator and exhaust muffler and then remove the plastic housing surrounding the lower part of the genny. That is a LOT of work.
What I did was to cut a hole in the plastic housing just aft of the oil sensor large enough to get a small open end wrench on the oil sensor wire nut and tighten it through that hole. This must be done underneath the coach. I saved the cutout I made and epoxied it back in. That's important because that plastic shroud directs airflow to the radiator.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:51 AM   #6

The most common cause of that shut down code is low oil level. Make sure it's full on the dipstick. If its low by much you will get shut down when the motorhome is in a turn or otherwise slightly off level. They are pretty sensitive to oil level.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

2-blinks = low oil pressure
Could be actual low oil, or maybe a bad or dirty oil filter, or a faulty sensor or sensor wire.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:01 PM   #8

If oil level is good and all other things appear normal, I would crawl under the coach and disconnect power to generator for 30 mins. I would then wire brush corrosion off cable ends and cable stud mounts. Then reconnect. Hold down start button for 60 seconds and proceed to start. See what happens. I have a 7500QD and had a similar issue. The only way to clear codes is to disconnect power. I got this tip from an aviation mechanic who said they do this all the time to clear codes on planes. It worked for me.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

What I did was to cut a hole in the plastic housing just aft of the oil sensor large enough to get a small open end wrench on the oil sensor wire nut and tighten it through that hole.
Thanks for the info. My genny is not on a slide so working on it will be tough.

You wouldnt have a pic or design sheet showing where this sensor is? Or the oil pump?

I was thinking of pulling the genny out through the bottom and doing a lot of maintenance but if I can fix this without pulling it, that would be better.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
If oil level is good and all other things appear normal, I would crawl under the coach and disconnect power to generator for 30 mins. I would then wire brush corrosion off cable ends and cable stud mounts. Then reconnect. Hold down start button for 60 seconds and proceed to start. See what happens. I have a 7500QD and had a similar issue. The only way to clear codes is to disconnect power. I got this tip from an aviation mechanic who said they do this all the time to clear codes on planes. It worked for me.

Can I just use my battery disconnect or do I have to disco cables on genny? Also, won’t the genny start if I hold down start button for 60 seconds? Or am I misunderstanding?

My genny is not on a slide so access is an issue.

Thanks for the help

Thanks
Old 06-20-2021, 09:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
2-blinks = low oil pressure
Could be actual low oil, or maybe a bad or dirty oil filter, or a faulty sensor or sensor wire.
Thanks Gary. Oil level is good, new filter too. No idea where sensor is as not on a slide. I am thinking oil pump but would love to check the sensor if I can find it
Old 06-20-2021, 09:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
The most common cause of that shut down code is low oil level. Make sure it's full on the dipstick. If its low by much you will get shut down when the motorhome is in a turn or otherwise slightly off level. They are pretty sensitive to oil level.
Thanks. Oil level on stick is good. Just changed it. Rig is level & still having the issue
Old 06-21-2021, 12:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
Can I just use my battery disconnect or do I have to disco cables on genny? Also, won’t the genny start if I hold down start button for 60 seconds? Or am I misunderstanding?

My genny is not on a slide so access is an issue.

Thanks for the help

Thanks
Holding button down doesn't start it. It primes it turning off battery disconnect doesn't clean corrosion off everything nor will it clear the codes.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
Holding button down doesn't start it. It primes it turning off battery disconnect doesn't clean corrosion off everything nor will it clear the codes.
ok so you mean hold the switch down in the fuel prime position and not the start position? and good point on the cabes/disconnects

Tags
ems, onan, problem, problems