Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2020, 05:43 PM   #1

A/C Capacitor Duo Therm

I went up on the roof of the RV and took off the AC cover. What’s up there says Duo Therm model # 630035.322 serial # 45030182. I’m trying to find capacitors (I need 2) to go with the model/serial numbers but I’m coming up blank. Anybody have suggestions. I know I just can’t purchase anything. Thanks everyone.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2020, 06:23 PM   #2

Usually if you record the Value in MF or mf (microfarads) or even uF, and the voltage, you can use any generic cap with the same or higher ratings (within reason). Plug those listings off the old caps into google and it'll likely give you several choices of that exact cap.

Get those values, post them here, and we can help too. For a '05, getting a sub rather then exact replacement would be pretty typical...though the replacement would probably have the same ratings for voltage and mf's.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:49 PM   #3

Parts List with exploded view and part numbers
https://www.nwtfc.com/wp-content/upl...s_listed7e.pdf

Part 43 --- fan start/run
Part 46 --- start capacitor
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:22 PM   #4

Here's one of them: Dual 20 UF & 10 UF, 370 Vac motor capacitor

And here's the Start capacitor: Start Cap

Old 09-10-2020, 09:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Here's one of them: Dual 20 UF & 10 UF, 370 Vac motor capacitor

And here's the Start capacitor: Start Cap
Hummmmmmmmmmmm
Those match the numbers in the Parts List I posted
Old 09-10-2020, 09:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Hummmmmmmmmmmm
Those match the numbers in the Parts List I posted
They sure do! It's the magic of google. Woooooooo [weird music]...

Old 09-10-2020, 10:25 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Find the ratings on the OEM capacitors. You can visit a local HVAC/R supply house and pick up replacements. You don't need OEM parts, a capacitor is a capacitor. Match the uf rating, the voltage can be higher than the original, but not lower. They're not terribly expensive, and you should have no trouble matching them. The shape may be a problem, but the shape is irrelevant as long as the replacement can be mounted securely. You can also replace a dual capacitor with two individual caps as long as the ratings match. Any cap that's bulged, weeping, or stinks like burnt wiring is candidate for replacement. If in doubt and you don't have the meter to test it, replace it. Cheap insurance. A DMM with a capacitor test function is a big help. Remove the wiring from one terminal, Short the leads before testing.Test, short, swap leads, test again. Readings should be the same. Replace if out by >10%.
Bsipe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #8

FIRST!f unplug from electricity, then discharge all capacitors by touching both contacts together with a screwdriver. Otherwise you may get a shocking surprise.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #9

A/C Capacitor Duo Therm

We’ve replaced the “silver box” inside the unit in the rear bedroom; replaced the comfort control duo therm thermostat. The capacitors are good. I’ve been told it’s the solenoid reversing valve that’s causing the problem. Can this item be replaced? Has anyone replaced theirs? Is there a video that can show me how? I’ve looked on YouTube and can’t find one. Or do I have to replace the entire roof air conditioner? I’ve seen those prices whoo-weee. Please help. Thank you
Cyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:12 PM   #10

In Link I posted it shows 2 items for reversing valve
The Solenoid...which is easy to replace
Dometic 3105504.009

Reversing valve is whole different thing.....it comes with all the lines attached and would require removal of old valve/lines, soldering in new valve lines and recharging system'
Gonna rack up $$$$ might be best to get NEW A/C Unit with heat pump
Nothing is cost effective!
Old 09-14-2020, 06:56 PM   #11

You have a 20 yo RV. Those capacitors can measure good and still be bad, due to excess leakage, film and electrolyte breakdown under load, and the fact that they are 20 years old.

How did you decide they are good? They are the most common failure item in a roof top AC. Substitution is the best method of testing them. Just curious.

As Old-Biscuit says, the shuttle solenoid is easy to replace, the shuttle valve is a whole nuther level.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:08 PM   #12

You don’t say what is the problem? Reversing valves rarely go bad I only changed a couple in 30 years . With the unit running energize the solenoid then de energize it it should go from heat to cool or vice versa. To check if the valve is sticking feel the pipe going to the compressor suction and feel the pipe coming from the cooling coil both should be cool at approximately the same temperature . There is a big difference suspecting bad capacitors or a reversing valve ? Does the unit operate or trip the breaker is the fan or compressor operating etc?
Old 09-15-2020, 08:49 AM   #13

Roy1
When I turn on the air conditioning it blows cold for a few seconds then I hear this “click swoosh” sound and the air blows hot like I turned on the heat. It only happens to the air in the rear. The front air works just fine
Old 09-15-2020, 08:51 AM   #14

Took it to an HVAC place they said it was fine but they don’t change out stuff like that. They only replace. The price they quoted was very high. I saw an air conditioner to replace on Amazon and it was nowhere near what they quoted me. If I have to replace I’ll get it from Amazon and it’ll be a DIY project